• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did I do this wrap wrong ?

ronl1975

So I wraped these steel doors for a customer. See the photo for the type of door handles these doors have. The door handles dont come off so I slit the wrap so the long handle would fit through, then I patched it. That part of the wrap is just black. They are complaining about the patch so I am wondering if I did this wrong ? ..

Attachments

• Photo-0264.jpg
    Photo-0264.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 75

AUTO-FX

There is no wrong

I think there IS no wrong, really.The only thing you MIGHT have done wrong was not discussing the installation beforehand with the customer. The only other way you could have done it if your not taking off the handle and you dont want a seam would be to make a small hole for the handle and begin your application in the center there using a "center hinge" method.

I think I would have figured out a way to take the handles off. Other than that I would have had a conversation with the customer making him aware that you would be slitting the graphic and why.

~Chris

p3

Door handle has to come off....how'd it get on there? I used to sell door handles so I do know it comes off... Depending on material, I would have probably cut a small hole where the handle would have gone, slid the handle through the hole and squeeged it all down so it would not have looked patched...but then again, I could have went that route then ended up reprinting the whole thing again. hah.

Pat Whatley

Another option would have been to have left the seam, then put a piece of floor laminate behind the handle. Doors take a lot of wear right behind the handle, the floor laminate is a whole lot more protective than just regular laminate. You could have sold it as a "Free upgrade".

MikePro

most times when i have to wrap around something complicated, like a door handle that's hard to remove on my own, I inform the client that it'd be best if they removed the handles themselves prior to my install. They save money not paying for our time to brainstorm in the field, you save yourself a headache and potentially destroying their property, and usually their own maintenance guys know how to pop those things off/on in a jiffy.

although this could have been done without handle removal... same way car wrappers do side-mirrors (and how I do thermostats on wall murals). Make a proper measurement and cut out a smaller hole than needed, start your hinge at the obstruction while stretching the hole as you apply around the handle, and fine line trim it when the application is completed.
----------------------------------
but back to the question, on whether you're wrong or not... I can't say without seeing the final product. "Customer is always right" is usually a standard for the service industry. And customers, more often than not, are picky when it comes to comparing drawings with finished product... and i assume that there weren't patches/seams discussed in the design/planning process.

p3

I would just google the manufacturer and see what I could find, but I do know we had installation guides on our site when I was selling the stuff. You can go to www.handlesets.com and if you see it on there it will tell you how to install or whatever. but i think your best bet would have been to cut a hole and slide the lever through...

I'm betting that if you were to put a screwdriver between the door and the door handle you can pop off that metal piece and then you would see the screws under it. That is how the handle is on the front door of my home, it is a cover so that you don't see the screws.

Patrick46

Yep...these have hidden skrews...and they come apart quite easily.

You're worried about your customer and their opinion of you & your work??
Don't look unprofessional.

LEARN about the door handle BEFORE you get to the jobsite. It's even more professional to ask it they'll take off the handle for you, as you obviously did not know how. (It IS OK to admit this.)

now you've got an upset customer, and a new lesson on door handles to put in your work files.

Hey...you don't even wanna know somma the skrew-ups I've done throughout the years in this field. My files are STUFFED!!!

It's Monday....time to reset.