• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did I get up on the wrong side of the bed?

G-Artist

Yes, I was on the computer till about 5:00 a.m. and was wakened by the sound of a wood chipper going off at 9:00 a.m. sharp right in front of my house.

When I checked my e-mail this morning (after heating up some left-over coffee) I got an e-mail with a 3 meg brochure attachment from a channel letter company who I have never done any business with and I was incensed so I sent them the following:

Look, I don't wish to be nasty but you violated serious
e-mail protocol.

Don't ever send such a file that size as an unasked-for
attachment.

Most, if not all, in-boxes are of a 10 meg. max. size
regardless of provider. Your total mail takes a bit over
3 megs of that as measured by computer. You stole
30% of my allotted server space.

If I took today off and didn't return until Monday (long weekend
or visiting a trade show) many e-mails probably would have
bounced due to my mailbox being full. I wouldn't want to be
you if that happened especially since we DO NOT have a
commercial relationship and therefore the law considers
your e-mail to be nothing but SPAM!!!

In the future just provide a link to the material and those
who are interested can download it themselves.

Oh, and by-the-way, your e-mail FAILS to provide an opt-out
link. Ask your lawyer about that.

Was that appropriate? Would you do the same?

Marlene

nice job!!! did they respond back yet? I would also call and ask to speak to the owner or highest up person available as you brought up very important issues with the size of the file they sent. It was thougthless on their part and since the lower downs usually are the ones tasked with sending this crap out, I would make sure some one in charge knew what pains they are.

joeshaul

If you need more anger relief, I've got about 4 e-mail accounts with thousands of spam on them! I'll be glad to forward em to ya!

On that note, people still have 10 meg limit e-mail accounts? Sure you're not confusing it with the document size max per e-mail (most will limit to 10 meg attachments)?

Yahoo, Gmail, and even Hotmail have had like a gig of storage for a few yaers now, and my webhost/company e-mail is like 2 gigs.

joeshaul

I just checked, apparently all the e-mail things are obscenely high now, I just remember Yahoo used to have a "full indicator" for 1 gig, apparently they're supposed to be "unlimited" now, Google/Gmail is at like 8 gig.

TheSnowman

Yea, the file per email maybe be a 10 meg cutoff...but most email providers (even free ones) give you gigs and gigs anymore.

G-Artist

I have not heard back and doubt I will.

This has happened before and not a one has replied.

If it continues, I will not only F-Bomb them I will provide many of their internal e-mail addies to a few spam harvesters and I guarantee to clog their system within a week. But who knows, maybe they will buy male enhancement products, funky pills or whatever.

Yes, Google will allow you 25 meg attachments in or out but neither Google, Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL are business-like addys. The are used by too many fly-by-night organizations to be considered serious. Plus, like my 35+ year-old telephone number, I am not about to change and lose older customers or potential sales by changing at this late date.

I do fault folks like ISA and NBM for selling my data to these spammers. I don't care if I got a free pass to their shows or not. If I find them violating their privacy statements I will definitely sue them. Make more money that way then what comes in the door of late.

kgirl

1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_be.gif

TheSellOut

Yeah, I would say it was a little bit of an over-reaction! I'm no doctor but it sounds like you need to either get laid or just start going to bed earlier!:toasting:

2972renfro

Any good hosting company will offer you plenty of email space on their server. What is commented before is true. 10mb is often a limit on attachments but not total email server space. You don't have to use gmail or hotmail to get lotsa space.

3mb as an attachment is not that big anymore. it used to be. I think you did over react. Not sure about the laws but not too many of the smaller companies have an opt-out link in their emails. Those are usually reserved for bulk email companies that send out thousands or millions of emails.

Some hosting companies will allow you to block certain email addresses or mark them as spam even before they get to your inbox.

If your hosting company does not meet any of these criteria you should consider switching

Flame

I'm more worried about your 10mg... as, I'll put it this way. I had 35,000+ e-mails and attachments stored on my e-mail server. Never a problem. :p

But anyways, let em have it if they are sending unsolicited stuff like that. You don't need that.

G-Artist

10 meg per mailbox is pretty much standard across the country for an ISP.

Check out Verizon, Road Runner, and all the others. All very similar.
Earthlink is my provider but piggybacks on Brighthouse cable lines in my area.

I'd change to a bigger and better addy, mailbox-wise, but no ISP would ever offer a
forwarding service. W/o that, I'd be dead in the water, so to speak.