• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

diecut poster paper?

Vohaul

so, my client is looking for a certificate in the shape of a heart...and only wants 30 of them...

printing them commercially and getting a die made is out of the question as its way to low a quantity for the cost....

is there any reason anyone can think of why i couldn't just use gloss poster paper and print / contour cut these on my xr-640?...never tried to cut paper before....maybe load a backing sheet of scrap vinyl or something?

more accurate and much less tiring than cutting them out by hand..ugh

Thanks,
Paul

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You need to adhere some transfer tape to the back for it to work and it will kill your blade much faster than vinyl does but it's doable. If you cut it without some sort of backer it will lose stability and crumple up in the machine.

Vohaul

You need to adhere some transfer tape to the back for it to work and it will kill your blade much faster than vinyl does but it's doable. If you cut it without some sort of backer it will lose stability and crumple up in the machine.

not a bad idea....you think the transfer tape will just peel off easy enough after??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Only 30 of them, why not just cut them out with a scissors ?? Stack 'em all together and do maybe 5 or 6 at a time.

GB2

Old Member
We will plot small quantities like that occasionally in the same manner...transfer tape on the back. It works fine, depending on the paper depends how well it sticks and releases. Also, you need a fair amount of margin on small sheets of paper to load it into a plotter and print any required plotter registration marks so you can't do many on one sheet.

Vohaul

ya these are roughly 8.5 x 11.....so id just run it on the 54" roll of gloss paper stock i have...and wouldnt need registration marks, as it would be a straight print / cut...im not laminating them

.good to know though.....i never even thought of using transfer tape...i wonder if the clear stuff is better as its a bit thicker.....

Vohaul

Only 30 of them, why not just cut them out with a scissors ?? Stack 'em all together and do maybe 5 or 6 at a time.

thought about that too...but id still have to cut them into single sheets off my 54" roll so i could cut em 5 or 6 at a time.....i just figured if i could do it all at oncce as a print / cut, it would be more efficient...

Joe House

I don't do it often enough to tell you what settings to use, but I can get it dialed in pretty well. The keys for me are to get the spacing of the tabs right and the correct pressure for the "up" cut. You still want to score the paper, not have it go all the way up to where it doesn't touch at all.

Shandy

Before I had a cnc knife table I would cut roll magnet on the plotter and us it as a template. Print your paper then use the magnet to cut / trace around it.

ikarasu

Perf cut works. We cut lots of diff shapes on our graphtec. Never tried on a summa or Roland.... I've heard summas aren't good at perf cutting anything besides squares. Never tried... But I think officially that's what summa says is supported.

I've cut thousands of circles and hearts, and literary hundreds of thousands of rectangles using perf cut. Once you do the settings in.... It's.super easy to get them to not fall apart during cutting, but be easy to pop out by hand. Only time I've ever had a problem is when the punch rollers are too far apart.... So the material lifts with each perf cut. Having more roller assemblies helps with that though.

I'd say grab some scrap paper and try to perf cut one or two, it'd be the fastest way..

Superior_Adam

Not sure how it woudl work on your machine but we cut paper all the time on our Zund. We use Sihl 3686 paper printed on out Latex 560.

unclebun

We did a large number of perf cut printed poster paper that went on room telephones (had holes for keypad, other buttons, with custom labeling). Worked great.

oel10

so, my client is looking for a certificate in the shape of a heart...and only wants 30 of them...

printing them commercially and getting a die made is out of the question as its way to low a quantity for the cost....

is there any reason anyone can think of why i couldn't just use gloss poster paper and print / contour cut these on my xr-640?...never tried to cut paper before....maybe load a backing sheet of scrap vinyl or something?

more accurate and much less tiring than cutting them out by hand..ugh

Thanks,
Paul

Your better off finding a vendor that has a CNC knife cutter that has the registration recognition system.
If your in the LA area to San Bernardino let me know I can recommend someone with this. I also know someone in Newport beach that can do it based on a die line made in illustrator with reg. marks.

Master Graphics

We print on heavyweight satin poster and use the perf cut set up on our Graphtec 8600 to make things like this all of the time. Works good and doesn't take up much of our time.