• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dirt cheap vinyl for throwaway stencils

2B

whatever scrap or old vinyl you have laying around.

Instant one is a good option if you have to use new stuff

visual800

best time to get rid of all that odd colored or old vinyl you got laying around.

If we are doing a brick wall i will order 24" x 50yds of Oracal 651, that stuff will adhere to dirt

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I saw that for the first time a few months ago and it just seemed like inexpensive abv. I have one that's like $100 a roll for 54"x150' and its just a short term matte or gloss adhesive vinyl. We have someone who uses it for that application.

Gene@mpls

Does paint mask have a backing paper?

Yes it does- been using it for 20 years. Most brands have it and it is pretty inexpensive and thicker than cast. A stencil is re-usable and requires a stencil stye font so the centers do not drop out. Gene

reQ

Here in Canada, paint mask will cost way more compared to cheap vinyl... BUT:

We made stencil for a customer to paint passanger plane using removable avery. After paint soak in the vinyl, adhesive stays on the plane surface and cleaning is a b*tch. So in that situation, customer wished he would pay extra for paint mask. But in others, like painting concrete, cheap vinyl works.

d fleming

Have a customer that paints planes for the military and corporate (think fedex). Their preferred material is actually frosted etch vinyl. I have used paint mask for them to try many times but they just seem to be in love with the frosted stuff. The rest of the world is fine with paint mask, lol. For the larger items they use a paper stencil and tape it out after pouncing.

danno

We have found that 3M IJ36 works good. Changeable adhesive lifts off with little to no residue.