• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dislike Flexi

Flame

I have to say, after buying Flexisign Pro I think it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. If it didn't have the capability to run my printers, it would be utterly useless to me. A poor layout, simpleton effects, options that you don't need yet not having the options that you do need..... I could go on and on. And they sell it for over $4000!!!!!!!!!! What on earth makes it so valuable? I have better tools in CorelDraw, and it's under $1000. I just don't get it.

I am one VERY dissapointed customer of Scanvec.

grafixhenk

The main thing is the RIP for printing, check around a decent rip starts at 3K and up! I love it Flexi pro works perfect for us, for printing and cutting.
Just my 2 cents though

mark in tx

You need to sit down with the fine manual, and read it. Then have some fun with it. It is a tool, you have to learn to use it.
Right off hand I can name 2 things I like about flexi,
Drop Shadows and Outlines for lettering.

nxtremesign

well i'll drop my 2cents here.
i've been useing Flexi for 8 yrs and it mostly good, but had limits, jsu like i like photoshop but it to has limits and so does any other software you use ,
but flexi IMHO the the best vector base program going

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Flexi, IMHO is the best vector creation and editing application ever written. When you get to that part you will see that there is no comparison to Corel.

As far as a poor layout, the Design Central concept is pure genius and if you want it to look like Corel you only need to change the interface preference.

Try this:

Type some text and outline it.
Now resize it.
Now arch it.
Now select the text by swiping it with the text cursor and change the font.

Now do that in Corel.

Steve C.

Hate Felxi too. Node (control point) editing is far far easier in Corel. Also like Corels Enhanced view option, not one in Flexi. I have been using Corel much longer, but I have tried to get used to Flexi but just dont like it for design work. I do love the Auto Trace and Rip. I do realize that it is more user specific than Corel, but still way over priced. and the Flexi tech support people are rude Snobs.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Fred Weiss said:
Flexi, IMHO is the best vector creation and editing application ever written. When you get to that part you will see that there is no comparison to Corel.

As far as a poor layout, the Design Central concept is pure genius and if you want it to look like Corel you only need to change the interface preference.

Try this:

Now resize it.
Now arch it.

Now do that in Corel.

While there are some things that Flexi does extremely well, your above four step exercise is easier done in Corel. With the possible exception of the outline, and that would depend on the exact context.

Resizing is resizing in either package and only only recently does Flexi support symmetrcal resizing. Corel has done it for eons.

Distorting objects is far more civiized in Corel than Flexi. No comparison.

Changing fonts is changing fonts in either package.

Beyond your list, Flexi's positioning tools are far superior to Corel's.

Corel's node editing is light-years ahead of Flexi's.

Flexi's bitmap tools are primitive compared to those available in Corel.

Flexi's outline and inline tools are far superior than Corel's.

The list of Flexi vs. Corel details is endless. But as far as Flexi being the best vector manipulation package ever written, you've got to be kidding. It's OK, even really good at some specific things, but overall it's not a pimple on the butt of Corel in this department. This isn't product chauvinsim talking, I have both and am intimately familiar with both. Flexi wins the sign-centric context hands down. In pretty much all other contexts Corel is vastly superior.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
One area Flexi clearly has over ALL other drawing programs is a larger workspace.

The maximum workspace size in Corel is about 100' X 100' if even that. The maximum workspace in Illustrator is 227" X 227". Flexi's workspace can go a LOT bigger than either of those totals. I can easily lay out full size building elevations in Flexi whereas Corel and Illustrator will both run into severe limitations at the same levels.

The regular drawing applications also stink when it comes to manipulating type in terms of inches or centimeters. They don't know how to do it properly.

Corel and its bridge program counterparts like CoCut don't provide any reliable capability of integrating with CNC routing programs like EnRoute. That's not going to be very important if you're only making banners and other vinyl graphics stuff. But if you make lighted signs and other permanent signs, you're going to need something better than just stuff like CoCut or Vinyl Master Pro. Flexi or something similar is a must in that case.

Steve C.

Techman said:
i got the flexi training cd's ,, there some stuff in flexi that many don't even know exists..

Another sore spot with me. They charge upwards of 4 grand for the software, then want another $150 to teach you to use it. It should come with a training CD for that price. I know it been said before and $150 is not much for software training. With Corel you get lots of hands on tutorials. The first Corel program I had came with a training video.

Flexi is a valuable tool for sign shops, but Corel is still better for design.

Flame

Fred Weiss said:

Try this:

Now resize it.
Now arch it.

Now do that in Corel.

Okay. I just did it.

Flame

Yeah, for any of you who want to buy my program from me, no thanks. It has the RIP for my printer, and I AM NOT buying another one. I'm keeping it.

There are some things that are cool about Flexi (like their tracing tools) but I still can't see how it costs 4x what Corel does. That's ludicrous. The only place Flexi really redeems itself (IMHO) is their production manager. I DO like that.

Also, another complaint I have about them is their limited exporting options. They have a few options, but not as many as Corel (but still better than Illustrator!).

Techman

Corel and its bridge program counterparts like CoCut don't provide any reliable capability of integrating with CNC routing programs like EnRoute.

That ma ybe true. And I cannot comment with a load of data because I do not use a number of router driving softwares.. But, Corel along with the PLUGIN Cocut Pro does have some really good routing capabilites in its MultiTool extensions. It may not be able to do undercuts but it can do just about anything else.

player

I think the view in Flexi really sucks...compare a layout screen view in Flexi then export and look at it in Illustrator...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have Flexi and I have adapted it's use.

I think Flexi has some great features, but I think it's way over-priced for what I do too (I over bought) If I was a production shop, Flexi is great. They have the best production tools. It really depends on what you need it to do. 75% of my work is design only, and most of my sign work is architectural. Flexi sucks at presentations, I have mastered the use of the title block and scales, but I can still go faster in Illustrator in CadTools and make it look better than I can do it in Flexi. I do a lot of logos to, I can do it all in Illustrator and get that file into any production I need, Flexi is hit and miss. Get to know Flexi and it's strengths, but I reccomend designing in Illustrator or Corel. Just the fact that the .fs extension may screw you over if your key goes bad, the company folds or you can't run it on your newer system as time goes by should be enough to at least save an extra set of files in Corel or Illustrator.