• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you have a graphics Degree?

What is your educational background in the sign business?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gtjet

Great Scott, we live in Scottsbluff about 18 miles from the Wyoming border. Jackie Neubauer (Longnecker) and her husband Jim are our kids godparents, she is from Casper and her father taught at the High School. Pearl and I were both at UW and I that is where I graduated from. Have a lot of friends in Wyoming, it is truely an American Hidden Gem if you know where to gol.

graphixtogo

i have 2 yrs at PENN STATE... Are you sure you don't mean STATE PEN???

he was mainly a potter and that was also one of the best things i did... Is this a typo or a THC induced slip-of-the-finger????

Sorry OP... Couldn't help it! It just seemed too easy!

:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh

ATXsigns

BSEE, 14yrs in semiconductors. Self taught with graphics apps, have a vinyl cutter and heat press. Merging this with my pool hobby to offer pool-theme shirts, team signs, decals etc on the side while tuning in my skills as a backup if my job is pushed to Malaysia, which is pretty likely. :p

jiarby

I was an music major then and IT guy for about 15yrs, the morphed into websites (& bitmap graphics) and last year we bought this shop and I was thrust into vectors. Mostly the same, files are bigger.

None of my customers ever asked me if I have a degree. Just like a music degree... you either have the chops or you don't.

A graphics design degree is probably more valuable than a music degree, there is alot of mechanical & technical things about design that you can learn from reading/practicing. But, at the end, you either have it or you don't.

I have learned that I don't.... but I am a great mockingbird.

petepaz

took commercial art at morris county technical school 1987 1 year
and graphic and commercial art at joe kubert cartoon and graphic art school 1990 1 class at night
and back then they where not teaching any computer stuff
self taught in that department

digitalgraffiti

No degree but several years taking course relavent to industry.

Took a four year apprenticeship program in what was one of the top ten printing companies in the country in New England-at the time.

Apprenticeship taught, taught by very skilled people interested in producing quality product and self taught (if you aren't going to increase your knowledge about your field, why are you in it?)

blackicefx

went to school for a year for Computer Animation and Graphics. Years later, went for a year and a half focusing on Business Graphics (combo of Business and Graphic Design). The rest is self taught or undercover surveillance of other designers :Big Laugh

Matthew
BlackIceFX

Ken

I can never understand how anyone could presume to teach "art". In any form.
WE can look at what was done before, by other "artists" and emulate (copy) their style.
It's like white Rappers in Canada...how lame is that?
Graphic artist of all time.. Maurits Cornelis Escher...but even he "studied" art.

"The rest is self taught or undercover surveillance of other designers"

Ken

Pat Whatley

It also goes to show you that teaching art, or going to school for art have nothing to do with whether you have any talent or not.

KR3signguy

Associates in graphic design &
BFA, Massachusetts College of Art
& never ending on the job learning.

I want to go back for a masters but my little girl needs her daddy more.
Maybe in 10 years...

Graphics.Atl

I have an associates degree in the engineering field, worked with computers since I was 5 or 6. Self taught Flexi-sign Pro and still learning as I go, been in it for 3+ years and loving it, just made it my full time gig.

R08

Sign and Graphics degree with a business major from the School of Hard Knocks.

Seft taught but I ended up teaching a Corel Draw course at a local community college.

flyinhawaiian968

Wow! Glad I'm not the only one here who's an old fart in the field! Some of y'all make me feel young!!!

Me? Started on a Mac IIcx in '88 under the wing of a somewhat known graphic artist in Honolulu. Moved on to typesetting at a local printshop, was also taught me to run that POS ABDick 360 with a T head! A year later I got a break and went to work at a service bureau doing traditional camera work (linescreens, negs, 4 color seps, etc). That's where I picked up the PC side (owner ran the mac side, hated pc's!), running jobs for CorelDraw 2 and 3 clients!

I did t-shirt designs for 3 years, then moved to the mainland. Ran a small print shop in Des Moines, IA, then went to work for a sign shop there.

Moved away and did web design, hated it. Got a job at a local newspaper company in SoCal, then joined up with a publishing company. Worked there for 7 years, leaving as the senior graphic artist (as well as the temporary network admin for 2 years since nobody was able to keep it going and kept getting fired!).

Finally decided to go back to school at Portland State, but with the market dying and me runnin' out of money, said screw it and went back to sign work.

Opened my biz in '05 and haven't looked back! Mostly self-taught, with a lot of college time (but never finished my BA)

Chris