• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Does anyone know what would cause this?

Blaster

Adam B.
I ordered a roll of forward wound Duratex 13oz gloss banner material from Grimco. This is what its doing. Is this an issue with the material? Not having an issue with anything else.

Attachments

• Duratex 1.jpg
    Duratex 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 360
  • Duratex 2.jpg
    Duratex 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 316
I ordered a roll of forward wound Duratex 13oz gloss banner material from Grimco. This is what its doing. Is this an issue with the material? Not having an issue with anything else.

It is likely that the media print surface is contaminated.

To test this, clean a defined area with Isopropyl Alcohol and a towel, and mark the cleaned area with a sharpie marking pen. Next, print a job that extends through the cleaned area well into the non-cleaned area. After printing, inspect both areas. If you see that the cleaned area looks good, you have proven the presence of contaminates on the media. With PVC medias like banner, the contaminates are commonly high concentrations of plasticizers that have migrated to the print surface over time. Options would be to replace the roll with a newer fresher roll, or clean it.

Blaster

Adam B.
I assumed so but wanted another opinion. Constantly have problems with all the duratex stuff from Grimco. Anyone have a goto favorite I can try thats reasonably priced?

Thanks P

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
I assumed so but wanted another opinion. Constantly have problems with all the duratex stuff from Grimco. Anyone have a goto favorite I can try thats reasonably priced?

Thanks P

I'd like to know this too - we ordered 13oz duratex from Grimco the other day, and it looked suspiciously like it was reverse wound, even though the data sheet said nothing about which way it was wound.
We called Grimco and they had no idea. They said "print on the least textured side". Yeah, thanks :rolleyes: I think maybe we ended up with a different product. Having a lot of trouble with our local Grimco.

ikarasu

There's a few banner materials we use that look washed out after they've Sat for a few months in our latex.

I usually.increase the ink to 100-120% and it looks good again. Not the best solution for cheap banner.... But in a pinch it works.

Commando

I ordered a few rolls of duratex. It was rolled backwards.
Try to feed the material backwards into your printer. Thats what im doing until i go through all these rolls i got. Then i am finding a different brand.

karst41

Grimco bought every bit of Agfa's Inventory.
The Duratex is not two sided printable I returned it.
It is a One Side Printable Banner Stock

Get the Ultraflex Pro BlockOut 13oz from Athens Paper. (55 yd rolls)
Northlight Color sells the Ultraflex and Reece Supply sells it but their inventory is weak.
Athens also keeps inventory on the 18oz Pole Banner.

Hope this helps.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We use quite a bit of Duratex 13oz matte with excellent results across all our printers...Large latex, small latex and UV. Yes...its reverse wound which is actually better IMO. The 15oz double sided material from duratex is ok and we do not use their 18oz. Ultraflexx gave us more issues and didnt have the same level of support we get thru Grimco.

AGCharlotte

I've seen similar stuff on the Duratex in the past... still get it occasionally. I normally used MAC Papers' house brand vinyl (under the Argent line), not sure who makes that but I haven't had any issues with it. Ultraflex I've run as well but not through my HP (no reason I haven't but all the Ultraflex has been for a specific customer)

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
I've never had that happen with 13oz, but I have seen it with Catapult PET blockout. I stopped using Grimco for our everyday media after some lousy service, now I usually I get Arlon from Fellers or BeLine from Glantz.