• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this dang silvering really go away?

S

scarface

Hey, I have BS laminated some prints and yes i know many posts say silvering goes away but does it ALL go away after some time?

I am doing prints for a customer and need to ship them but don't want to ship them and have the customer get them before the silvering goes away and complain.

Laminated about 24 hours ago and most went away but you can still see noticeable amount IMO.

210 lam on 3651 with B&W prints

Mosh

Is it cold where you are? Silvering seems to last longer in the winter for us. It should go away though.

S

scarface

Is it cold where you are? Silvering seems to last longer in the winter for us. It should go away though.

It's about 71 or so in here where the printers and all are.

The prints are contour cut decals.

gabagoo

I ran 2 prints on Wed afternoon. Mostly black and only 18 x 24". I let them sit until Thursday 6 pm, and then I used the BS to laminate them with a lustre finish. When I finished doing them they looked ok but there was some silvering. I brought them back up to the printer room which is much warmer at night and draped them over the Summas media catcher.
This morning I am shocked as they look even worse than when I left. They even sort of look like bubbles in some spots. I think the black was still outgassing. I ran a heat gun over them gently and used a soft squeegee but it did very little. I then flipped them over and heated the reverse side and used a hard plastic squeegee on the backing paper. It actually worked, and they look much better although there still seems to be some small bubbles. I give them one more day and then decide to reprint or "Can I get away with it" time comes.
Like you Scar these prints are being installed far away (Manhatten).

S

scarface

Weird thing is, i did the first run and then waited about 5 hours then laminated. Then the second run i laminated about 20 minutes after it printed and that one looks better than the prints i let sit before laminating.

Mainframe

it goes away in time, if the customer questions it, just explain it to them, bubbles go away also in time, just ship it & don't worry, get your money. we see much more detail than the customer does (normally)

TheSnowman

Silvering always goes away, if it doesn't, you have bubbles. I do actually believe that in time, bubbles do go away too.

gabagoo

I came in on Saturday and they still looked like in some areas that I was going to have to reprint. I left them one more day.

Today I dropped into the office to just check them out and they are flawless!!!!

Black is a beatch...shows everything, but time seems to be the solution.

S

scarface

My prints too look to be fine now, Thanks guys!

I wonder if people laminating wraps get this even with a "real" laminator

Glad im not the only one lol

grafixemporium

The silvering you see is due to the adhesive on the back side of the overlam. Vinyl overlams are applied with pressure, not heat, so that adhesive is still a little visible after being applied. Exposure to heat and/or sunlight will smooth everything out every time.

S

scarface

The silvering you see is due to the adhesive on the back side of the overlam. Vinyl overlams are applied with pressure, not heat, so that adhesive is still a little visible after being applied. Exposure to heat and/or sunlight will smooth everything out every time.

Alright so it's alright to contour cut after laminating and seeing silvering? I always wait until it mostly goes way.

PMG

I have very lil silvering if any...if i do its because the pressure was not set correctly on my lam machine.

grafixemporium

We do it every day. It's never been a problem.

Even when we wrap a vehicle, we explain to our customers that the slight silvering they may notice will smooth out after a few days in the sun. Same with any small bubbles that they may find.

WB

I use a little bit of heat on the top roller when laminating always works awsome..

gnatt66

even with my laminator 3165ra silvers a little for a day or so...and sucks to contour cut if i try right away. too thick and spongy i think till it all settles down.

ucmj22

Soooo, the Seal(brand) laminators use a heat assisted top roller. is it worth it to use heat assist, or should I just get the royal sovereign cold only?

grafixemporium

The heat assist will stretch the vinyl... even if just a bit. If you're doing any print/lam/cut stuff, turn the heat assist off or you will have a hell of a time getting your cuts accurate. The heat assist on our Seal stays off.

68Bonnie

My prints too look to be fine now, Thanks guys!

I wonder if people laminating wraps get this even with a "real" laminator

Glad im not the only one lol
I know it's an old post, I have a Ledco digital 60. A 1/4 hp beast. Still silvers. I need to dust off the manual, and start those heat shoes. It will do thermal melt lam as well.