• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Don't run into this kind of customer often...

Stacey K

I like making signs
A younger man around 30 called me looking for some window perf on his business door. Real Estate company, grandpa and dad still working but he and his dad are taking over. Every sign, every decal - every bit of anything was 40 years old in this place. The lettering outside on their large sign is peeling, faded - it's like 40 years old - just horrifying. The place is like a time capsule.

Long story short - I finished up his door yesterday and all three came to look at it, everyone liked it. The young man then pulled me aside and asked me about a few other updates. And then this...

Me: So, if you ever have any issues with the door vinyl...

Him: I'll stop you right there. I'm the third generation here and just like my grandpa, I'm NEVER removing it. I don't care. It can peel, fade, it's never getting changed or fixed by me. Your grandkids will be the ones putting new vinyl on with my grandkids.

So, I guess this customer is a one shot deal. Once I have his stuff updated I will never hear from him again :roflmao:

signpro

Manager
well. remind him of all the OTHER things you do to help him. he may never need door graphics... but perhaps biz cards, yard signs, vehicle graphics, or anything else you do. he trusted you to do this job... hopefully he'll call for something else.

if not... that's OK too!! ask him to refer you! :)
but i hear ya... you probably won't ever hear from him again. as long as he pays the bill... it is what it is

Stacey K

I like making signs
Exactly! He gave me some old metal signs that he just wants a print over the top of, also a coroplast board with new print and then he has a couple other items. I'll take what I can!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Literally just did this 3 days ago with an old sign off the wall from a customers previous location. 30 year old sign on acm that was peeled cracked and chalked. The son brought it in, asked if we could use the back, which had to be the only piece of acm I've ever seen that was installed with film on the back that I could still get off, looked decent, slapped down new (cast) vinyl, and then we joked about how his kids will try to flip this sign one day and see this original old sign, pushing 60 years at that point! Had to get a picture to educate folks on calendared vs cast vinyls...
That's a great photo showing the difference! I'm SHOCKED you got the back liner off that board. I have baseball signs with the liner on the back and I have never been able to get one off!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well then, it's fitting. It's about time the name fits. Things like @sshole, d!ckwad, f*ckface and all the others are good names for ya, but this one will fit ya much more better. :toasting:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Ston3d Cannibal Bertie. I still have a bunch of jewelry making supplies from my past life - I'll make you a key chain.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was shocked as well! I think it must have been under an eve and screwed to some wood stringers. The perimeter was stained, so we shaved 3/4" off every side rather than trying to clean it, but for the most part the film came off in large sections, not 1x1" squares like usual. Are your baseball signs on a wall away from the sun, or fence/freestanding?

I've been called a lot of things over the years, but this is a new one!
They are on a chain link fence. Just got my first order for the Spring today...and I can print in-house!

gnubler

I got one too this week. I told the customer it's probably the most weathered sign I've ever dealt with. It's been up on the building looking like this for several years!

20220407_150859.jpg