• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double Pass on Digital Print

EbsWeb5150

I'm doing a digital print on white translucent printable material that is getting mounted on lexan and then it will be housed in a SignComp type light box.
4ft. x 8ft. My question is: Is it good practice to have the Roland overprint the digital print. (which is of girl staring out the window) because of the vinyl being white printable translucent I've heard its good practice to check overprint in VersaWorks to but I think its throws the colors off to much sometimes. But maybe it looks good lit up at night

Custom_Grafx

Yeah it looks too dark sometimes in the day, but good when lit up.

The other way some people do it is to do a print on clear in reverse and stick it on the back surface, then a single pass trans print on the front. Best of both worlds.

jayhawksigns

That's how we do our backlit signs. Tried for too long to get the front side only thing with our JV3 before I saw the light and just started doing two prints.

rjssigns

Our shop does the backlit prints for one of those billboard trucks. We use a matte finished translucent poly at standard res and perceptual with a canned Versa profile. Things turn out great. Look good day or night. Or course we always preflight the client files as some require color tweaking, but by and large they are good to go from their designer.

EbsWeb5150

I'm using the profile in VersaWorks

The profile is called (RIPC) SFPLF: Front Print back lit film.
Is that the right profile for translucent printable material for the Roland

rjssigns

Profile on Versaworks: Magic SBL7 (think the wife named it that)
Got the initial profile from IntelliCoat.
Their back-lit works wonderfully with no dinking around or multiple steps to get a good looking print.
Takes a pounding too as there are up to 10 units zippered together on the computerized scrolling mechanism. Only call-backs we've had is a couple zippers popping off. Never a complaint about color day or night.