• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double sided banners

ScottyAdams

Hey guys, Still learning here.....I have made plenty of single sided banners, but now I have a customer who wants a double sided banner. The technique I know for banner making is Cut to size, banner tape hem, and grommet finish. All of my banner materials seem to be one sided material. Is there a specific banner material that allows for printing on both sides? Do I just print two and attach them together? How do I finish and Hem a double sided banner? in the dark here so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone! :thankyou:

Mike F

I explained this before on another forum so I just copied and pasted... This is for a Roland so the crop mark / margin mark thing might be different on your HP...

Probably harder to explain than it is to actually do, but here goes...

Using double sided banner material, print the first side / front of the banner (DO NOT center on media) and print with margin marks (NOT the crop marks for pint/lam/cut) with horizontal and vertical both set to 0. Remember which edge of the banner printed first.

Take a look at the edge that printed first, and in the right corner poke a small hole right through the corner of the margin mark itself, just big enough so that you can see it when you flip the banner over. Now I usually wait about an hour or so for the ink to cure a bit before I run it back through, but when you're ready to do the other side, here's what you do. Feed it in, printed side down, so that the edge that printed first is at the front of the platen. It's VERY important that you make sure the media is in there straight (especially if the artwork has any kind of bleed), although I don't have a surefire way of doing that yet (suggestions welcome!).

Once you get your rollers locked down and you're sure it's in there straight, use the arrows to bring out the knife to set your base point. This is where that hole comes in. Position the knife so that the tip is DIRECTLY above the hole. You can check to make sure (on the VS at least, not familiar with other machines) it's directly over it by pushing gently down on the blade holder... the knife should go directly into the hole. Once you've got the tip of the blade and the hole lined up, just set that as your base point and hit print. Bada bing, bada boom, double sided banner!

ScottyAdams

Ok but how are you finishing the edges with this technique? Is there any other way without using double sided banner material by joining two banners into one?

C

ColoPrinthead

When I printed double sided in the past, we wouldn't put a seam on the edges at all. It was an extremely popular product for that shop.

CS-SignSupply-TT

ScottyAdams, the double-sided banner material has the blackout liner to prevent sun shadows. To print TWO banners and "weld" them together is a lot more time and effort than you really need to expend.

GoatScrote

Good trick for dbl-sided banners!

I explained this before on another forum so I just copied and pasted... This is for a Roland so the crop mark / margin mark thing might be different on your HP...

Probably harder to explain than it is to actually do, but here goes...

Using double sided banner material, print the first side / front of the banner (DO NOT center on media) and print with margin marks (NOT the crop marks for pint/lam/cut) with horizontal and vertical both set to 0. Remember which edge of the banner printed first.

Take a look at the edge that printed first, and in the right corner poke a small hole right through the corner of the margin mark itself, just big enough so that you can see it when you flip the banner over. Now I usually wait about an hour or so for the ink to cure a bit before I run it back through, but when you're ready to do the other side, here's what you do. Feed it in, printed side down, so that the edge that printed first is at the front of the platen. It's VERY important that you make sure the media is in there straight (especially if the artwork has any kind of bleed), although I don't have a surefire way of doing that yet (suggestions welcome!).

Once you get your rollers locked down and you're sure it's in there straight, use the arrows to bring out the knife to set your base point. This is where that hole comes in. Position the knife so that the tip is DIRECTLY above the hole. You can check to make sure (on the VS at least, not familiar with other machines) it's directly over it by pushing gently down on the blade holder... the knife should go directly into the hole. Once you've got the tip of the blade and the hole lined up, just set that as your base point and hit print. Bada bing, bada boom, double sided banner!

This worked perfectly! Big rush on parade banners this week...THANKS A MILLION!:U Rock: