• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double Sided Laminate

I have a client looking to get a decal printed for the inside of their office building so it can be seen from the outside. I have seen this type of decal before but I am not sure if it is a vinyl that you print on to the adhesive side or if you laminate it with a double side laminate? Any thoughts on products out there?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Don't they do those by first printing and then applying the glue on it? I'm not sure.

You can mirror it and print on transparent. White ink on top or white vinyl on top.

Don't they do those by first printing and then applying the glue on it? I'm not sure.

You can mirror it and print on transparent. White ink on top or white vinyl on top.
we unfortunately don't have the ability to print white with our printer atm but I never thought of using white vinyl. I will have to look into that. thanks for your input :D

MikePro

its printed on clear adhesive vinyl, in reverse, and laminated with white, and applied to interior facing-out. (any CMYK printer)
or
its printed on clear adhesive vinyl, in reverse, with blockout white print over that, with regular color print over that, and then laminated with clear, to make a double-sided decal. (requires CMYK printer with white ink option)
or
its cut adhesive vinyl cut in reverse, applied to 2nd surface, and white vinyl overlaid over it (most basic, only requires vinyl plotter)

its printed on clear adhesive vinyl, in reverse, and laminated with white, and applied to interior facing-out. (any CMYK printer)
or
its printed on clear adhesive vinyl, in reverse, with blockout white print over that, with regular color print over that, and then laminated with clear, to make a double-sided decal. (requires CMYK printer with white ink option)
or
its cut adhesive vinyl cut in reverse, applied to 2nd surface, and white vinyl overlaid over it (most basic, only requires vinyl plotter)
Option A would work great for square and rectangle cuts but what if you wanted to do die-cut decals? how you get the plotter to read the crop marks once laminated with white?

MikePro

crop marks, like registration marks for print&cut?
you re-mark the marks atop the white, after laminating the white layer, before you cut. photosensor doesn't know the difference between the black lines made by your printer or the identical black lines drawn with a fine point black sharpie or pen.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Don't put the white over the regmarks ;)

Or if it's cut out completely you can just do it upside down. Just need to mirror the cutjob. Assuming the clear has also clear backing.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Print on 54" clear in the center, offset your crop marks so they sit outside of 48" then laminate 48" white over it. If you have a bunch to do this is the easy way to do it on rolls rather than sheets.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
we’ve always just printed reverse on clear vinyl then backed with white.

For the mimaki print and cut, the crop marks were simple so we just threw the white side on a light box drew over them. Worked a treat.

For the summa, we just cut a bit white that’s slightly bigger than the artwork but not larger than the barcode or intermittent marks.

Should get you by but just remember to pause (if you can) after it’s cut the first decal (if they’re small and stepped up) to make sure it’s cutting them right - hard to tell when all you can see is white lol