• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Downgrading firmware Falcon II Outdoor

gbarker

I'm thinking about downgrading my firmware from 3.01 to 2.11.

Reasons:
1) Apparently production manager doesn't support i2 wave technology which I think is the main benefit to the latest firmware.
2) I'm now getting the infamous 'ink not original' message. Turning off the chip readers should alleviate this problem.
3) I'd like to try a different brand ink that doesn't offer their ink in the US at this time. They make it for this printer but only sells it in other countries.

My hesitation:
1) Can I turn off the card readers in firmware version 3.01? I don't use i2 printing as apparently Production Manager doesn't support it.
2) Can it be done?
3) If I can do it, can I turn off the smart card readers? I have found a ink supplier website, though I don't want to use their inks, that has instructions on how to turn off the card readers. I will be able to use refillable cartridges and buy ink by the liter which will save some cash.

Has anyone tried this?

randya

I2 on these machines are ONLY available through the Front Panel of the Printer.
So it will print I2 with Production Manager, you just can't control it through PM..

Graphics2u

I'm thinking about downgrading my firmware from 3.01 to 2.11.

Reasons:
1) Apparently production manager doesn't support i2 wave technology which I think is the main benefit to the latest firmware.
2) I'm now getting the infamous 'ink not original' message. Turning off the chip readers should alleviate this problem.
3) I'd like to try a different brand ink that doesn't offer their ink in the US at this time. They make it for this printer but only sells it in other countries.

My hesitation:
1) Can I turn off the card readers in firmware version 3.01? I don't use i2 printing as apparently Production Manager doesn't support it.
2) Can it be done?
3) If I can do it, can I turn off the smart card readers? I have found a ink supplier website, though I don't want to use their inks, that has instructions on how to turn off the card readers. I will be able to use refillable cartridges and buy ink by the liter which will save some cash.

Has anyone tried this?

Hey, How's it going?

1) Can I turn off the card readers in firmware version 3.01? NO

I don't use i2 printing as apparently Production Manager doesn't support it. PM me or call me if you still have my number, i'll walk you through it.

2) Can it be done? Not sure

3) If I can do it, can I turn off the smart card readers? I believe you can in 2.11

Sometimes the aftermarket inks give more problems than it's worth.

I got that "not original ink" message occasionally with that printer. Remove and replace cartridge or swap them, or restart printer.

bendeane

Heard a horror story about 3rd party inks...

Heard this story directly from a nazdar rep that I won't name who was trying to sell me 3rd party inks. My valuejet firmware is too new to support the 3rd party cartridge and he told me a user downgraded his firmware to use these cartridges. He said that one day, he came in and ink had leaked all over his printer. Not sure how that happens, but just thought I'd post what I'd heard.

gbarker

Thanks for the suggestions and input. I'm thinking about going with Triangle inks. I feel they are a reputable company and have heard nothing but good things about them.

Graphics2u, I'll give you a call later today. I'm only getting the error in slot 3. I've done the same as you, replaced the cartridge and card. I've also power cycled the machine but I get the same error. I have to repeatedly remove and reinsert the cartridge until it finally 'takes'. My assumption is the reader is going bad, if that's even possible.

randya

It is possible for the reader to go bad, but not likely.
It is more likely that the fingers of the reader might be damaged or the card is just not quite in the correct location.

Clean the chip with alcohol (denatured)