• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

drop out when test printing

ftmrc

I have a roland sp 540V and have an issue where if I don't print something at least every other day, when I do a test print where it prints the little lines of B,C,M,Y some of the lines are missing. If I do a few head cleans, put some cleaning solution in the cap tops and let it soak, or even use a syringe to pull ink from the cap top lines then normally it will test print perfectly. I just don't know why it seems to dry or lose ink. I run a bulk ink system with the cartridges, my dealer that sold me the system said I might need to drill a hole in the rubber cap (where ink is refilled) to allow venting, but I was concerned about contaminants entering through the small hole.

Anyone else have this problem?

cdiesel

First off, if you're not printing much, get rid of the bulk system. Bulk systems are meant for people who do volume. If you're running a bulk system on low volume, you're asking for problems.

How old are you cap tops? Wipers? Dampers? Are you running OEM wipers? How often are you cleaning the printer manually? Post a pic of the test print.

ftmrc

drop out

My cap tops are about 6-8 months old. Wipers are new. OEM wipers. Manual cleaning is done about once a month. The dampers are the original ones when I bought the printer about 4 years ago. I don't understand what the dampers do, the place that sold me the printer told me the dampers hardly go out.

Is it better to use the standard ink cartridges for minimal use? What is the advantage over bulk ink setup. Can you go back and forth? If I go back to the standard cartridges do I need to go OEM or can I go with an aftermarket cartridge?

I'll get a pic of the drop out and send an e-mail to you.
Thanks for any help.

cdiesel

Bulk inks tend to be "hotter", so they dry quicker. For that reason, if you're not printing a lot, it's better to use OEM cartridges. There is an increased need for maintenance with aftermarket inks, especially if yo'ure not running a lot of volume. Once a month cleanings is not enough. Once a week is the absolute minimum.

If this is mainly happening after not printing everyday, I'd suspect the cap tops are at fault. They can go quickly if they are not kept moist. Long durations between printing and the absense of regular, manual cleanings can accelerate their lifespan.