• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drops in scan-direction | JV33-260

muelli75

Hi!

On our JV33-260 appearing in some circumstances drops in scan-direction (see attached pictures) - the color of the drops change, mostly its magenta or cyan. I recognized them mainly on pvc-banner-material, sometimes they are also appearing on paper.

I suggest, that the reason is an electro-static charge of the material.

So three questions:
a) is this right?
b) if this is right, which is the best method to avoid this effect?
c) if this is not right, what else maybe the reason?

Thank you for your inputs and answers!

Best regards,
martin

Attachments

• drops_1.jpg
    drops_1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 95
  • drops_2.jpg
    drops_2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 88

Vinylman

color drops

In order to truely be of any service to this situation, YOU need to provide much more information regarding what type of material you are printing on EXACT info is important!

When did this start?

What type of inks are you using?

How old is your printer?

What is your REGULAR maintenance schedule on this machine? { explain EXACTLY how you maintain this machine}

I have a number of POSSIBLE reasons for the situation you are showing in your photos. I will post my responses AFTER you provide more details:thankyou:

Murray

jv33 260

We also have a JV33 260 and i have seen a very similar symptom when i print bi-directional on banner material (ours seems to splatter black ink only) . When i change to uni-directional the "splatter" stops completely. I have no idea why it splatters in the first place nor do i know why switching to uni-directional solves the problem. In fact, switching to uni-directional isn't really solving anything, its merely avoiding the problem so I too will look forward to comments and suggestions on the real cause of this issue. We will be doing some routine parts changing maintenance in January and I will let you know if there are any changes to the issue afterwards. Good luck with your search!
Hi!

On our JV33-260 appearing in some circumstances drops in scan-direction (see attached pictures) - the color of the drops change, mostly its magenta or cyan. I recognized them mainly on pvc-banner-material, sometimes they are also appearing on paper.

I suggest, that the reason is an electro-static charge of the material.

So three questions:
a) is this right?
b) if this is right, which is the best method to avoid this effect?
c) if this is not right, what else maybe the reason?

Thank you for your inputs and answers!

Best regards,
martin

muelli75

Hi!

Thank you for your answers! Following some more information to this case:

* The jv33-260 printer is built 2009
* We are using Triangle-Inks MMS-Eco
* This effect started since we had the plotter in our company (approx. 2 Years)
* This drops are mostly seen on PVC-Banner-Material, 500g/m2, 220cm width (86 inch, called "MasterJet S Frontit B1 Magic")
Feeding from the heavy-duty-Feeding, takeup is also the heavy-duty-option.
* In rare moments the drops appearing on blueback.paper, 130g - feeding and takeup ist "normal".
* Our maintance looks like this:
- Changing the wiper if it looks dirty or even the machine aquire it (not done so far)
- cleaning the bottom of the "case" of the printhead carefully by hand, 3-5 month-interval
- changing the white sponge in the capping-station if it looks dirty

Thanks for the hint "bi/unidirectional", will test this next time and report here.

Thanks for your effort to help!

Best regards, Martin

Given that you say this happens only on banner material then I suspect that the way the edges of the material have been trimmed are the issue - I've seen this plenty of times before where tiny little fibers and fuzz sticking out the edges of the material brush against the heads and flick droplets of ink. Also, these fibers often attach themselves to the underside of the carriage and ink will build up on this and then drop off once the droplets become too heavy.

Try unrolling a good length of banner and running a soldering iron, hot knife or a flame down each edge and see if this helps. If so, complain to your banner vendor and see if they can address this issue during the trimming step.

also, get some good quality foam swabs for cleaning the carriage - keep Minaki's nasty cotton swabs for your ears!

Ponto

Given that you say this happens only on banner material then I suspect that the way the edges of the material have been trimmed are the issue - I've seen this plenty of times before where tiny little fibers and fuzz sticking out the edges of the material brush against the heads and flick droplets of ink. Also, these fibers often attach themselves to the underside of the carriage and ink will build up on this and then drop off once the droplets become too heavy.

Try unrolling a good length of banner and running a soldering iron, hot knife or a flame down each edge and see if this helps. If so, complain to your banner vendor and see if they can address this issue during the trimming step.

also, get some good quality foam swabs for cleaning the carriage - keep Minaki's nasty cotton swabs for your ears!

I'm thinking media as well,... and from experience! Spend extra on better quality banner media and compare the edges ---- you won't see the micro fibres that are found on the edges of the cheap stuff and these fibres will build up on the edges of the prints heads! JP

Vinylman

Here's My Take on this

Hi!

Thank you for your answers! Following some more information to this case:

* The jv33-260 printer is built 2009
* We are using Triangle-Inks MMS-Eco
* This effect started since we had the plotter in our company (approx. 2 Years)
* This drops are mostly seen on PVC-Banner-Material, 500g/m2, 220cm width (86 inch, called "MasterJet S Frontit B1 Magic")
Feeding from the heavy-duty-Feeding, takeup is also the heavy-duty-option.
* In rare moments the drops appearing on blueback.paper, 130g - feeding and takeup ist "normal".

* Our maintance looks like this:
- Changing the wiper if it looks dirty or even the machine aquire it (not done so far)
- cleaning the bottom of the "case" of the printhead carefully by hand, 3-5 month-interval
- changing the white sponge in the capping-station if it looks dirty

Thanks for the hint "bi/unidirectional", will test this next time and report here.

Thanks for your effort to help!

Best regards, Martin

Cleaning the bottom of the print head should be a WEEKLY routine maintenance practice.

At the end of every week, you should be cleaning the edges of the print head CAREFULLY with a swab soaked in cleaning solution. Then do a thorough test pattern print to verify that the nozzles are all firing correctly. Then park the print head per factory instructions, and when starting the printer the next time do a standard nozzle check, and make any necessary cleaning and go to print.

Regular, correct maintenance is never an option, it is a necessary to keep these machines running at their best. A few extra minutes doing maintenance will save HOURS and dollars on unexpected equipment failures.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Regular, correct maintenance is never an option, it is a necessary to keep these machines running at their best. A few extra minutes doing maintenance will save HOURS and dollars on unexpected equipment failures.

Hope this is helpful to you.

+1,000,000

~80% of the service calls I go on can be attributed to poor or non-existent maintenance (seriously, there are people who do not ever clean their machines). The other 20% is from expected lifetime on parts or unexpected issues like electrical surges etc. I have customers who I have installed a printer for and never saw them again because they took care of their machine. Spending the few hundred dollars a year to keep consumable maintenance parts on hand and cleaning the machine regularly will save you thousands in the long run. Not to mention the even more thousands of dollars from the jobs you lose waiting for parts to ship that you should have had on hand and should have changed 3 years ago. More than half of the parts orders on our website ship overnight for this reason. You wouldn't buy a $20,000 car and never get an oil change or change the tires, why wouldn't you do the same for your $20,000 printer?

muelli75

Thank you for your valuably words to maintain the printer. I will enhance our routines for this.

martin