• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dumb rant

Signed Out

Vinyl manufactures:

Please stop gluing vinyl to the core. And if you do glue it, make sure it easily pulls off. I like burning a roll to the end, and too many times get caught off guard with a glued roll, needing just a couple more inches or like tonight, literally started printing my crop marks, and out of media error. F me, 2 feet of vinyl left but glued like a mofo.

ikarasu

My favorite is when you're cutting a roll on the graphtec. You know you should have enough material... or just enough... then WHAM, it pulls the whole core into the graphtec and errors out. I recently had 40 rolls of material to cut...I just started refusing to use the last 10 FT because I never knew if there was 10 FT, or if itd hit the core and damage the machine :( Now I have 20+ rolls of 10 ft leftover that I pull off whenever I need to cut stuff on...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Avery? Oracal is taped to the core which is part of why I like it.
I was in the shop while printing on either 3m or avery, came back in to see that it had stuck to the core, pinch rollers burned through the material, gummed them all up and it had been printing over and over in the same spot with ink pooled and running down the front of it.

Signed Out

Avery? Oracal is taped to the core which is part of why I like it.
I was in the shop while printing on either 3m or avery, came back in to see that it had stuck to the core, pinch rollers burned through the material, gummed them all up and it had been printing over and over in the same spot with ink pooled and running down the front of it.

Damn that's brutal. Mine will error out pretty much as soon as it feels resistance. Wish it would just pause when this happens, so you could continue the print after cutting the vinyl from the core.

Last night was a roll of phototex. Not something we do a ton of so I had about 10 yds left. Counted wraps on the core and knew I had just enough for the job. Broke the job down into 3 prints so I could monitor my material. Counted wraps again before sending last print, looked like I had a wrap or 2 to spare. Then I got distracted and forgot to watch the end of the print, sure enough it was glued like crazy. My fault really, I took all the necessary steps, knew it was a potential problem, and dropped the ball on the goal line. Oh well.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Could the printer manufacturers share in this fault. When this happens with the HP's it errors out and will not let you continue even after cutting it from the core. Seems to me all they had to do is have a sensor detect the resistance and "PAUSE" with a "CHECK MEDIA FEED" message thus allowing you to check and see what the hold up is. Cut it from the core and "UNPAUSE" or "CONTINUE"

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Damn that's brutal. Mine will error out pretty much as soon as it feels resistance. Wish it would just pause when this happens, so you could continue the print after cutting the vinyl from the core.

Last night was a roll of phototex. Not something we do a ton of so I had about 10 yds left. Counted wraps on the core and knew I had just enough for the job. Broke the job down into 3 prints so I could monitor my material. Counted wraps again before sending last print, looked like I had a wrap or 2 to spare. Then I got distracted and forgot to watch the end of the print, sure enough it was glued like crazy. My fault really, I took all the necessary steps, knew it was a potential problem, and dropped the ball on the goal line. Oh well.
Been there done that.
On the Mutoh the sound of the hard stop, alarm going off & the core trying to bang its way onto the platen is surprisingly loud and scary when it is the only printer you have.

gabagoo

I 100% agree with the rant. My Mimaki will sit there and print in the same spot as the vinyl is basically stuck as the roll is fastened to the roll bar