• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dx5 printing full mono (all jets)

artbot

is there any rip available that will allow a JV33 or other dx5 based printer to run full monochrome? or for that matter a rip that would make a JV3 or other dx4 based printer do the same.

as in all ink lines to the head running one single color (black, clear, white). theoretically being able to do so would produce JV5 print speeds.

i had an old cadjet 3d (encad) back in the day that could be set to full mono (all four carts would run monochrome black) and the paper would just fly out of that thing. i rarely run color and wishing to get some real speed.

Rooster

Wasatch can do it with the JV5, but even though they told me prior to purchase that it was possible on the JV33 apparently it's not. Unless Mimaki has released new firmware. They may have done so. I've see that they have released some new inks (metallic silver and a light black HS) since I bought mine. I would have expected them to now have a CMYKLcLmOG inkset by now in response to Epson's latest machine. Although even then I think the C/Lc and M/Lm channels are controlled by the firmware and not the rip.

artbot

@rooster

it seems like it'd be about a half day's work to add that to the firmware. all the algorithms are in place.

so do you mean, in kind, a JV5 can go balls out running all four heads in mono, because the jv5 by design can dedicate a single dx5 head to mono. that would be insane if i could get a jv5 to run in mono, the printer would be waiting on me.

Rooster

You know what. I just checked colorburst's website and they now support the JV33 with their pro version. They claim custom inksets for all supported printers.

I've always loved their rips. Fast like crazy and tons of control over all aspects of color. Call them, I'm positive they'd be far more helpful than wasatch was when I was asking the same question.