• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Dx6 And Dx7

antant77

hi all, I have a VS640 and a BN20.. I understand they utilize the same printhead... I'm looking to buy this printhead and as I'm looking I'm seeing no difference in using DX6 or DX7...

I can't find anything that explains or shows a difference between the DX6 and the DX7...

Could someone help me understand the difference between these two printheads?

LFC911

DX7 face plate is Gold colored/Plated, not sure if that is the only difference but I wouldn't spend $2k-2500 to find out.

Hey antant77, You're right in indicating the VS-640 and BN-20 use the same print head. As a matter of fact, Roland ONLY has one print head part number to be used in these printers. We do not attempt parts substitution and strongly discourage that practice. So the differences would be irrelevant in trying to determine which type of head to use in the printers. Again, we only recommend using the correct part and part number.

It's recommended that you contact your authorized Roland dealer to discuss repairing your printer, which may including replacing the head.

If you have any additional questions that you would like Roland Corporate offices to address, you will need to submit an "official" request by completing our online form here: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

antant77

Hey antant77, You're right in indicating the VS-640 and BN-20 use the same print head. As a matter of fact, Roland ONLY has one print head part number to be used in these printers. We do not attempt parts substitution and strongly discourage that practice. So the differences would be irrelevant in trying to determine which type of head to use in the printers. Again, we only recommend using the correct part and part number.

It's recommended that you contact your authorized Roland dealer to discuss repairing your printer, which may including replacing the head.

If you have any additional questions that you would like Roland Corporate offices to address, you will need to submit an "official" request by completing our online form here: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Thanks for your response! I would never use an off brand or "generic" printhead.. I know the product number for this head is 6701409010...when I google that number I do see official Roland printheads but that number is also associated with both the DX6 and DX7 printhead, I wouldn't put a generic printhead in my printer but I'm trying to figure out why that number is associated to both the DX6 and DX7 printhead...

One local Roland dealer had no idea the difference, and another dealer said it's a DX7... someone else told me the DX7 is a china version of the DX6 and the DX6 is the original printhead in the VS640.. to me, none of those are consistent and I'm trying to reach out to someone that knows what they are talking about...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks for your response! I would never use an off brand or "generic" printhead.. I know the product number for this head is 6701409010...when I google that number I do see official Roland printheads but that number is also associated with both the DX6 and DX7 printhead, I wouldn't put a generic printhead in my printer but I'm trying to figure out why that number is associated to both the DX6 and DX7 printhead...

One local Roland dealer had no idea the difference, and another dealer said it's a DX7... someone else told me the DX7 is a china version of the DX6 and the DX6 is the original printhead in the VS640.. to me, none of those are consistent and I'm trying to reach out to someone that knows what they are talking about...

The Roland VS series uses the DX7 print head and not the DX6 for sure.

There is a lot of confusion around the DX6 and DX7 heads. Long story short: Epson makes all of the heads I am about to mention. The DX5 print head was/is a very popular print head that Epson licensed out to 3rd parties to use in their printer designs. The DX6 head was next but Epson didn't license it out to 3rd parties. The DX7 than came out very soon after and was licensed to 3rd parties like Roland, Mutoh, Mimaki and others. Since they all skipped from DX5 to DX7 a lot of people just assumed the DX7 head was actually the DX6 when it wasn't. Now you search for DX6 and get a lot of results for DX7 heads for that reason. The lesson here is that there are a lot of websites selling parts out there but most of them are not knowledgeable about the product at all.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The post immediately before yours explains the difference very clearly. The true DX6 heads are only used in specific Epson printers and aren't available to the general public. The DX6 heads you find for sale on various websites are really DX7 heads sold by unknowledgeable people. I actually addressed the issue with the Digiprint Supplies support people so they could inform the webmaster, but the webmaster apparently doesn't care. Which is odd, considering the heads are one of the more costly items on their website and you would think they would want it to be correct. Rest assured, it really is a DX7 head in that link.

RICHARD SIMMONS

Thanks a lot !!
The post immediately before yours explains the difference very clearly. The true DX6 heads are only used in specific Epson printers and aren't available to the general public. The DX6 heads you find for sale on various websites are really DX7 heads sold by unknowledgeable people. I actually addressed the issue with the Digiprint Supplies support people so they could inform the webmaster, but the webmaster apparently doesn't care. Which is odd, considering the heads are one of the more costly items on their website and you would think they would want it to be correct. Rest assured, it really is a DX7 head in that link.Thans a lot !!