• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX7 printhead

briandorsett

I thought I would chime in here. I am a complete newbee to printing. However, I am very experienced and knowledgeable with regard to microcontrollers, electronics, etc. Especially with regard to high security microcontrollers. I have very in-depth knowledge of delayering the integrated circuit itself, and reverse-engineering the chips at the gate level using a scanning electron microscope. I was responsible for most all of the DirecTV smartcard hacks between 2001 and 2005. I was subsequently prosecuted and did my time. I personally owned the SEM, and sadly it was confiscated by Homeland. (I'll get to my point, I'm just establishing a bit of credibility here)

I recently became interested in printing, because I ended up with two old Mimaki printers. Specifically, the models JV3 160SP & JV3 160S. It is a long story, and I only intend to use them for my own use. I am not a sign shop, nor am I in the business, I just like to tinker with things. I also have a need to print a few signs for my father's business.

Anyway, as you may know, the JV3 printer uses the DX4 heads. Along with the printers came about twenty heads in various conditions. Some of them had been improperly cleaned, and of course were pretty much ruined. Others were scratched, dinged up, etc. I took the liberty of completely disassembling the DX4 to understand it's full operation.

Upon initial examination I assumed, just as you all have, that the heads are "dumb" since they appear very basic at the board level. However, on the Kapton that connects the head itself to the board, inside the head block and sandwiched between metal plates, you will discover a silicon chip on each channel of the head. I have not removed the chip and examined it yet, and on this old head it may be a simple multiplexer, switching circuit, driver, etc. I don't know yet. However, there is absolutely nothing stopping Epson from putting a VERY complex, and HIGHLY secure processor on that innocent looking slab of silicon. Extremely powerful processors today take up very little real estate on silicon and can be a complete "system-on-chip" generating and managing it's own power, clock, crypto-engine, etc. I can pretty much assure you, this is what they are doing with the new heads. Don't let the simple circuit board fool you. They have a chip buried inside the head, even in the DX4.

Now, with all of that said, there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from reverse-engineering even the most secure head they currently produce, or any new product they will produce in the future. You just need to know how to do it, and have the proper equipment. In addition, one will need to research the criminal and civil liabilities that may be involved in such activities. I will note though, many laws and other loopholes do allow such things, especially with regard to companies that intentionally "lock" their products limiting their use by the full and legal owner of the purchased end-product.

I am very interested in this subject and would like to learn more about what heads are out there, what security is involved, and the benefits you all would gain from "understanding" their technology and having the ability to communicate with these print heads without any restrictions, limits, encryption, etc.

Feel free to reply here, PM, or email me if any of this interests you guys. I am not making a sales pitch at all, I am just tinkering and would like to learn more about what is out there, and how we can use it. Maybe even build an "open-source" printer for all of us to take advantage of.

-Brian
brian.dorsett@gmail.com

Wes2988

Designer
Can you please tell me if a Roland xr 640 can use a dx6........I have to replace a head it had Dx7 but I was gonna replace one with the dx6 to save is this compatibility ok

Wes2988

Designer
As you may know, the era of DX5 might have come to an end :( New batch of Epson DX5 printheads don't work anymore, only the older version would work, and eventually they will run out of stock. Each "older" DX5 head is valued at $1,200 right now and it's so hard to buy.

I was thinking of shifting to use the DX7 instead as a survival method. Do you guys have any experience of using the DX7? What type of machine would this be compatible? Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland would work?

Thanks!

Wes2988

Designer
Do you know where a legit company I could buy a dx7. Print head .alsocan a Roland xr 640 use a dx6 cause it would save me money, please help

Guimb0

Agree. Mimaki as far as i know, signed 3 years, for dx5 production, but as you say.. you will pay x3.
I bought my 1st head replace from them...same price got 3 non-oem. and work perfect. I'll check if my supplier still have stock, so i can buy some more(because of the blank line problem), and if it does, i'll send you the info if anyone is interested.

Dont know if newer mimaki's are using DX7, mutoh is.. I'll ask mutoh people if there is a possibility to swap dx5 from JV33 to a DX7.
they'll surely tell me, because im buying 1 or 2 machines from them.
Can you provide me the seller infos please :) Thank's

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Can you please tell me if a Roland xr 640 can use a dx6........I have to replace a head it had Dx7 but I was gonna replace one with the dx6 to save is this compatibility ok

The DX6 print head is often confused with the DX7 but they are not the same head. The DX6 will not work on your machine.

The confusion stems from the fact that a lot of online sellers mistakenly call the DX7 head a DX6. I'm pretty sure the reason is that Roland, Mutoh and Mimaki all skipped the DX6 heads and went straight to the DX7s so people just assumed the DX7 is the DX6 but it's not.

Wes2988

Designer
Ok thank you so much for the reply, ,,one more question sir, the Dx7 eco from Roland is 2500 dollars ...Digiprint supplies, ,,has a huge company line from country to country, they would save me 500 but it would prob be a generic dx7 ...do you think that is stupid or smart. .or should I bite the bullet and buy from Roland, thanks

ProPDF

Ok thank you so much for the reply, ,,one more question sir, the Dx7 eco from Roland is 2500 dollars ...Digiprint supplies, ,,has a huge company line from country to country, they would save me 500 but it would prob be a generic dx7 ...do you think that is stupid or smart. .or should I bite the bullet and buy from Roland, thanks

Here you need this one. It's where a lot of suppliers get their parts.....however on the XR model it would be worth it's weight in gold to have the dealer install the head especially if its under warranty but assume it's not if your asking here......if you are a novice at installing them....spill, splatter or do anything else wrong....you are on your own....if the tech messes up something they cover it.

[$ 1,655.00] Roland BN-20 / XR-640 / XF-640 Printhead (DX7) -6701409010