• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Edge 1le and Edge 2

Ministripes

Hey all you Edge guru's

I'm having loads of trouble with the Edge 2

I've attached an image of the same material both in Edge 1 le and Edge 2

The 2 is all patchy and nothing I change makes a difference. When you print abrasion guard its all patchy aswell

If the vinyl is 100% glass smooth it's OK

Any help before I throw it out for the scrap as it wastes so much material it's almost useless

Cheers Bryan

Attachments

• 20210509_172720.jpg
    20210509_172720.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 337

Ministripes

Was using hexis removable. In omega 6.

Used s5000 today. Put the yellow down fine. But over print was all bitty and then tried to uv guard it and that was patchy aswell

Edge le perfect everytime any material

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Head heat is probably to low. I know on the LE there is a potentiometer pot on the board behind the back cover about center on the board. On the edge 2 I don't know but I would bet there is one somewhere on the board.

Does it make a popping sound while printing? Like the foil is stuck to the vinyl?

Adam.Foster

The Edge1 prints at 1 speed and 1 resolution, The Edge2 prints up to 3 times faster and up to 600x300 dpi. That can make a big difference when printing on non-Gerber materials. If the Edge1 prints the same material with the same foil and same setting from Omega fine then the issue is on the Edge2. To narrow down the issue in plot select the Edge2 and go into print settings and change the print mode to Edge1.(not 300x300 or 600x300)
Is the print better or the same?
If it prints better then it's a material issue printing at the higher speeds and resolution on the Edge2 on non-Gerber material. Use edge1 mode if that works for this material.

If the Edge2 still prints poorly (same as it did before) then I would suggest getting your Edge Serviced, something is not working right on the Edge2.
Some things you can try before calling your local Gerber distributor/ service agent.(Spandex if you are in the UK)

Try printing a box at 11.7"x 11.7" (300mm x 300mm) give it a 50% fill of Cobalt blue on Gerber 220 vinyl and see what the print looks like?
Does the Edge2 print a consistent 50% fill?
Do you see variations in the print? stripes? or shades across the fill?
If yes this shows that the print head is worn out or not performing correctly. It could be a voltage issue, worn platten, pressure issue or the head just needs to be replaced. Service would be able to determine this and get it working as it should. (fixing voltage, head pressure or replacing the head altogether)

Ministripes

The Edge1 prints at 1 speed and 1 resolution, The Edge2 prints up to 3 times faster and up to 600x300 dpi. That can make a big difference when printing on non-Gerber materials. If the Edge1 prints the same material with the same foil and same setting from Omega fine then the issue is on the Edge2. To narrow down the issue in plot select the Edge2 and go into print settings and change the print mode to Edge1.(not 300x300 or 600x300)
Is the print better or the same?
If it prints better then it's a material issue printing at the higher speeds and resolution on the Edge2 on non-Gerber material. Use edge1 mode if that works for this material.

If the Edge2 still prints poorly (same as it did before) then I would suggest getting your Edge Serviced, something is not working right on the Edge2.
Some things you can try before calling your local Gerber distributor/ service agent.(Spandex if you are in the UK)

Try printing a box at 11.7"x 11.7" (300mm x 300mm) give it a 50% fill of Cobalt blue on Gerber 220 vinyl and see what the print looks like?
Does the Edge2 print a consistent 50% fill?
Do you see variations in the print? stripes? or shades across the fill?
If yes this shows that the print head is worn out or not performing correctly. It could be a voltage issue, worn platten, pressure issue or the head just needs to be replaced. Service would be able to determine this and get it working as it should. (fixing voltage, head pressure or replacing the head altogether)
Hello mate.

Here's the attached print out doing what you said

The other ones are just what I printed aswell

Shame if it is the head as its scrap here in the UK. You can pick a used one up for around £1000

Attachments

• 20210513_093315.jpg
    20210513_093315.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 185
  • 20210513_093615.jpg
    20210513_093615.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 186
  • 20210513_141042.jpg
    20210513_141042.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 194

Ministripes

Fitted some stickers it had printed today to a window. Didn't uv guard. When I took the masking tape off. It started to take the print off aswell

Adam.Foster

Hello mate.

Here's the attached print out doing what you said

The other ones are just what I printed aswell

Shame if it is the head as its scrap here in the UK. You can pick a used one up for around £1000
I don't see the print info on the cobalt blue 50% prints so I will assume you printed on 220 with 220 settings 300x300 and if thats the case something is 100% not right with your Edge 2. Time to have Spandex service look at it, could be head pressure, voltage or the head itself.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
have you tried printing the same file with gerber foil and vinyl? i've had that solve the problem in the past AND its the first question gerber tech will ask when you call.

i've found that some gerber foils dont print well on generic vinyls too. i had a tomato red foil that i couldn't print on oracal static cling. it would print the exact same way you're showing. i dropped a different red in or a zeronine foil and it was just fine. crazy, right?

Ministripes

Guys. Thanks for help on this.

I printed a job this morning on it. Went fine. Thought happy days. Ran it again and it was patchy again then the foil stuck to the head and snapped the foil.

Could this be a heat problem. I have a spare edge le I've used for its head in the past so have a complete spare for parts

Stay safe Bryan

Ministripes

Swapped the head over and still the same. I know the other head is good. Just a pixel blown.

Bit still printed the same as before. I'm thinking as said above it's a heat issue

If I change the settings to edge1 and up the darkness its much better just the first bit is patchy then works fine