• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge 2 print problems

BullDog613

Has anyone ever had this happen, photo attached. if so can you share the fix.
20201221_141230.jpg

Billct2

You mean other foils work and only this one does this? Then it's the foil hanging up which means get a new one.

BullDog613

no sorry, other foils don't work. I doesn't matter what color or brand. I use gerber foils 99% of the time. Everything else on the machine works great except this streaking when I print.

Billct2

If this happens no matter what foils & vinyl are being used first I would make sure the sprockets are clean and the drive belt is sound.
After that you may be looking at the clutch or drive motor. But hopefully some other Gerber users are familar with the problem.

Joe House

Foil and vinyl drive tends to show up as banding across the vinyl. Since this goes with the vinyl, you're looking at something electrical or something creating a physical issue.

Have you replaced the foil and vinyl squeegees or at least cleaned them? Have you cleaned the print head with the Gerber cleaning cards really well? I've had to clean some with 4 or 5 cleaning cards before when they're in bad shape. Is the roller under the print head in good shape - smooth and no tracks on it? Are you testing with Gerber 220 vinyl? I always do my testing with Gerber 220 vinyl to rule out that variable.

As for electrical, it could be a matter of reseating the cable to the print head at both ends. You'll have to take off a couple of covers to do this. After that it could be the cable itself - from bending every time you open and close the cover, the main board (CPU board) or print head itself. I don't know a good way to test these out other than replacements. The cable and board can be replaced in the field, but the head needs to be replaced by a Gerber technician.

Good Luck,

netsol

Foil and vinyl drive tends to show up as banding across the vinyl. Since this goes with the vinyl, you're looking at something electrical or something creating a physical issue.

Have you replaced the foil and vinyl squeegees or at least cleaned them? Have you cleaned the print head with the Gerber cleaning cards really well? I've had to clean some with 4 or 5 cleaning cards before when they're in bad shape. Is the roller under the print head in good shape - smooth and no tracks on it? Are you testing with Gerber 220 vinyl? I always do my testing with Gerber 220 vinyl to rule out that variable.

As for electrical, it could be a matter of reseating the cable to the print head at both ends. You'll have to take off a couple of covers to do this. After that it could be the cable itself - from bending every time you open and close the cover, the main board (CPU board) or print head itself. I don't know a good way to test these out other than replacements. The cable and board can be replaced in the field, but the head needs to be replaced by a Gerber technician.

Good Luck,
nobody ever went wrong, spending a few hours blowing out with compressed air, rinsing the powered down and disconnected boards with isopropyl, examining the heavy, high current solder connections & reseating (gently, but probably more than once) connectors on any gerber equipment.

given the age of the edge 2, if it is NOT used every week or two, leaving it powered on, for a full day, so electrolytic caps can "reform" is also a good idea. this has surprised me what these few simple steps can solve.

clean all the rollers, clutches, etc, tension seems like a likely suspect

good luck, i love my gerber equipment, but it can be an exercise in patience, solving some of these problems

netsol

if troubleshooting does lean towards electrical issues, i can loan you an analog ESR meter, probably the only reliable test for electrolytics of that age

BullDog613

Good Luck,
Thanks Joe, I'll try those things.