• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EDGE contour cut with Roland?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I honestly feel quite daft asking this - the impossibility of it seems so blatantly obvious. However, I have had one person tell me they were quite sure a Roland Camm1 could be used to cut out EDGE prints. Am I daft? Was the person who suggested it even more daft?

IF... someone has accomplished it, HOW did ya do it?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I guess I should surmise from total absence of replies that: a) I AM daft for asking this
b) it CAN'T be done

The one who told me you could contour cut EDGE prints seemed quite certain of it. I guess if ya could interpolate the origin point for the cut precisely...? Obviously, the Roland plotter has no feature for slowing it down to small ticks of movement to align the bombsite as ya do with the Gerber plotters? Just curious.

Cadmn

Arlo I think you can set origion point on the roland not real sure on your but maybe some one in the know can explain for u I've never tried because I dont have printer but I've read something about setting origion points good luck & I Asume you like your new cutter ?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Cadmn said:
Arlo I think you can set origion point on the roland not real sure on your but maybe some one in the know can explain for u I've never tried because I dont have printer but I've read something about setting origion points good luck & I Asume you like your new cutter ?

As far as liking the Roland... yeah - I like being able to utilize all the scrap from a 15" Gerber plotter. It is faster than the GS line of Gerbers, but the Gerbers can be run absolutely unattended. I even load 'em with jobs at end of day & come in in the mornings with vinyl ready to weed.

Really looks tho like I can't do EDGE contour cutting with 'em. But I also like the fact that I have a number of larger trucks to do, & won't have to tile if I use the Roland. Guess I'll keep it after all. I REALLY like using Omaga to cut out of too on the Roland.

I DID NOT wanna hafta get Corel again. Never liked it. Gerber software has always been very intuitive to use since they designed it from version 1 for the steps signPAINTERS took from what I recall.

OldPaint

INTUITIVE? we who dont do gerber call it GERBER GOTCHA!!! they getchur MONEY!!!! i coulda bought a geber sprint back in 93 for $1500. then i found out you had to buy gerber fonts, @$100 A POP!!! then the sprint didnt like anyother program then GERBER. now that was another $3000!!!!!! then there was the card i had to buy to run the sprint $300 more!!! so now i got $1500+$3000+$300+ how many fonts i wanted to buy.
AND THIS WAS A USED MACHINE!!! i had $2000 and a existing computer 386 DX40!!!! and COREL 3.0(these 2 cost me $1000)guy who built my computer gave me his COREL since he didnt use it!!!
i found a ROLAND PNC-1000 with LETTER ART 5.0 sign program for sale guy wanted all $2000 for both i told him all i wanted was the plotter and he can keep the LETTER ART...i got the plotter for $1600 and he said hre take the program..ill never use it. annnnnnnnnd with the $400 i had left i bought from AMERIBAN my 1st order of vinyl....and i was cuttin outa corel to the roland the next day!!!!!!! and have never looked at a geber since.......oh yes i did iam sorry a freind of mine bought one for cheap, buy the time he was done and upand running he was $2000 for the NEW COMPUTER that would run the $3000 GA 6 $7000 IN THE HOLE..befor his 1st cut with the sprint!!!!
and i had the opportunity to work outa GA 6.0....TOTAL FRUSTRATION...after workin in corel.....to many repeat steps in gerber to do anything.

Last edited:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I never disagree with anything you say OP, but ya can't base your whole Gerber thing on that first shopping experience. Sure - in the beginning - Gerber was highly proprietary and very expensive. I think few could deny their equipment was/is ruggedly built and lasts forever. Plus, I was willing to accept that they had a huge R&D investment to recover. And their stuff ALWAYS was "plug & play" & cut signs with never another headache or frustration. I can recall a friend of MINE, who, upon getting his 1st Roland plotter and Corel, nearly took a 2x4 to it quite often. Roland obviously jumped in and offered what they could within the limits of Gerber's patents.

I now have a Roland too. I experienced everything my friend did with it. Overall, the quality of it is blatantly not up to the industrial duty quality of the two Gerber plotters sitting here... but sure, it works - now. I have yet to hear anything against Gerber from owners of it - just the same old stories of back when it was all proprietary and not open architecture. I've heard plenty of complaints from owners of other brands.

When I sold my plotter once to someone, they quickly decided they needed a bigger one. ALL their people could use the Gerber. They got a Summa, and soon everyone was pissed because of the LACK of just hitting the cut button and forgetting about it. Fact is, & I guess ya'd hafta own Gerber to know this, it is hands down the best. The software is for making signs - it's not a drawing program (although now you can do everything with it you can do with most any illustration software). Corel sucks wind and always has compared to Omega.

I know we'll never agree on this - but at least I just equal time!

Arlo,

Did you ever get your Roland to contour cut your Edge prints?
If you did, can you post what you had to do to get it to work?
Roland's tech support said that they can only help on their stuff
and to go to Gerber to find the answer.

Thanks,
Steve

Bill43mx

Steve,
If your Roland plotter has the registration mark sensor then it's doable. The thing is you need to include the 3 registration marks (1 cm circles) in your print and that further reduces the usable print width of the edge. If you need more info let me know.

Bill

Bill43mx

The video is helpful for understanding the basic process but it's a little more complicated when you are printing with a printer that's not driven out of Corel. Steve, I'll send you a PM with my phone number. Give me a call and I'll talk you through it.

Bill

OopS...I tried to send you a PM but you have that option turned off!

paul luszcz

We occasionally contour cut graphics on our Roland CJ540 that were printed on the Gerber Edge.

Once you know where the starting point is on your plotter, you simply align it to the target that the Edge prints and you're good to go.

Each plotter is different, so you'll have to experiment to see where your starting point is. And make sure there are no offsets in the plotting file, such as start .1 inches in or up. Set those to zero.

Bill43mx

Steve,
I'm still not getting the option to send you a PM or e-mail. PM or e-mail me your number and a good time to call you.

driver024

Gx-24 contour cutting edge 1 prints

Steve,
If your Roland plotter has the registration mark sensor then it's doable. The thing is you need to include the 3 registration marks (1 cm circles) in your print and that further reduces the usable print width of the edge. If you need more info let me know.

Bill

Bill, I too can use your expertise. I also have an edge 1 and a Roland GX-24 plotter. Will you also send me instructions on how to contour cut edge 1 prints with my Gx-24.

Thanks! My name is also "Steve"