• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge finish on ACM

CanuckSigns

I am running a summa F1612 with the standard router attachment, still learning the ropes when it comes to routering.

I am running some 6mm thick ACM and the edges are not coming off the machine looking very good, it's leaving behind little strands of plastic that need to be sanded off.

My settings are:
4 mm O flute upcut bit
spindle speed - 25,000 RPM
Feed speed - 1.5 inches/min
2 passes with a clean up pass at the end
Climb cutting

When I cut 1/8" ACM with similar settings I get perfect edges with no clean up needed.

Can anyone more familiar with CNC routing ACM take a look at the attached pic and see if you can think what is causing this?

Cheers!

Attachments

• ACM edge.jpg
    ACM edge.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 603

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
I've had good success cutting ACM at 18,000 rpm and about 180in/min. For 3mm I'll just do a single pass, for 6mm I'll do 2 and call it good.

MikePro

bigger bit, would be a good start, RPM's seem a bit high. I only use 1/8" bits when cutting detailed lettering, but if I were to be using it for 1/4" ACM I would be running at 19000 climb and only .063-080" per pass. big fan of using 1/4" bit for all of my square-panel cuts and especially on thicker materials.

pardon my use of non-metrics, but if you're looking for pristine edges on ACM I'd tread it like it is: two layers of .040 alum with a buncha soft plastic in-between. 1/4" upcut bit (bonus points for using one intended for aluminum), rough cutting 3/16" deep @ -035"-..125" offset from true shape (to give room for alum/plastic chips to evacuate) and then true shape cut being 3 passes at .090". It will clean cut the face, then clean cut the core, then clean cut the opposing face, with plenty of room for evacuation.

MikePro

ya i run Belin's too. 1----'s on plastic, and 3----'s on aluminum/acm.
Agreed that 4 passes to cut a square out of ACM is bonkers, but I still think this issue is chip evacuation & exaggerated by higher rpm's. I'm also using rough&multiple passes on the regular since my cuts are mostly 1/2" acrylic, and .125"-.5" aluminum, and my randomly blurted-out info may be overkill :)

alevit53

We cut ACM with a coated aluminum 1/8" upcut bit. 18000rpm and 150 ipm. One pass with slope insert.
Too slow and the plastic melts.
If you are talking about Alumalite, that's a different story. We use
Amana Tool 46302 CNC Solid Carbide ZrN Coated Honeycomb Cutting 1/4 D x 3/4 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long, 6-Flute Router Bit

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
ACM is literally swiss cheese. Regardless of bit, you should be running 1 pass with only evacuation being your reducing rate. 3/16" bits should be running 50k rpms at 400ipm. 25k baby spindles should run 200ipm. It's all math and sound. Routing is not an unskilled labor. Get a proper speeds and feeds textbook with algebra in it. Drop perfected methods into your cutting keys and push through hundreds of sheets per day.

MikePro

Say, what are you using for lubricant/coolant on your aluminum?
been using the TriCool vegetable based (green label) lubricant for over a decade now... love it! Agreed that its a bit pricey at $125/gallon, but that gallon goes a long way through the mister. My CNC runs about 30hrs a week on aluminum parts, and i'll go through maybe a gallon every three months. I've tried the synthetic stuff (redlabel), which is cheaper by the gallon BUT its more liquidy and even at the lowest setting it still feels like it just pours out of the mister and leaves the routed parts absolutely bathed in oil and i'll go through that gallon about 3x as fast.

MikePro

still same Trico MD1200 unit here.... installed when we bought the CNC ~15yrs ago. I've had to replace the mister tips a few times, after they occasionally make contact with the spindle and grind-down on the tip, and recently did a major overhaul to re-fit the entire setup with new oil lines (lawnmower fuel lines are the same guage/material for the mister unit), but otherwise its been rock-solid. Would highly recommend anyone machining aluminum parts on their CNC to do so with a mister. Not necessary for ACM, however, regarding the OP. Don't think i've ever routed ACM with the oil mister, nor felt the need to try as its pretty much just plastic with a foil coating.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
It looks like this is laminated. If so, the adhesive can cause the chips to stick and leave the appearance your showing. Is it possible to route from the back side? We have a flip/cut feature on our Zund that helps with laminated products.