• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Lit Led With Frosted Vinyl

BingoBrewster

Newbie question, I have searched but not found :)

Edge lit LED glass or perspex signs seem to be mostly engraved, but I see some that can be written on with markers.

Will it work with cut vinyl, frosted or other, instead of engraving?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice.

Chasez

it works... slightly, but best done with engraving/sand blasting (glass). If you want a writable surface, do the engraving on 2nd surface and install a dry erase material on 1st surface.

Chaz

henryz

We, had to do a lot of playing around with these until we perfected them to sell retail, here are a few sample we still have in our shop. These are engraved but it can be done with vinyl. Very tricky but very cool. You can see on the close up of the groove the angle gives it a neon look. The register trade mark is vinyl but still lights up.

IMAG1457.jpg IMAG1455.jpg IMAG1453.jpg IMAG1458.jpg

bigben

We, had to do a lot of playing around with these until we perfected them to sell retail, here are a few sample we still have in our shop. These are engraved but it can be done with vinyl. Very tricky but very cool. You can see on the close up of the groove the angle gives it a neon look. The register trade mark is vinyl but still lights up.

How do you make the color change?

BingoBrewster

View attachment 126920 View attachment 126921 View attachment 126922 View attachment 126923
Thanks, that's really useful to see the etching and viny side by side. So for the cheaper signs, vinyl is definitely an option.
Does it only work with frosted vinyl?

Do you know if there are size limits to edge lit? Its hard to tell the size or your examples.

Many thanks
(Missing my former home in San Pedro :) )

henryz

The different colors are created by different paint fills on the routed groove, even if I told you how it was done you would think we were crazy! these are 24" x 24" we made a few larger ones with leds on all 4 sides these are top and bottom only, we did color vinyl on some frosted works best with colored led.

ActionGraphics

Just now, thanks for turning me on to them. Very sweet, I'm going to order some! I've thought about doing something similar with automotive led bulbs...

steven jackson

steven jackson

i am very intersed to purchase this vinyl sticker , it will save a fortune on engraving large glass panels ,
were can we buy it from ,