• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

edge quality on Latex 360

dan1942

Ok I just received my l360 last week and have been having some issues with getting a decent quality edge it looks pretty bad .

Printed on IJ35c
RIP Onyx Thrive
12 pass 120%
I tried 16 pass as well with about the same results.
Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• SAMPLE.jpg
    SAMPLE.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 137

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like ink pooling or puddling up. That might be the profile or a heating pre/post problem.

Good luck......................

dypinc

Ok I just received my l360 last week and have been having some issues with getting a decent quality edge it looks pretty bad .

Printed on IJ35c
RIP Onyx Thrive
12 pass 120%
I tried 16 pass as well with about the same results.
Thanks in advance for any help

Make sure print quality is set at 600dpi x 600dpi and set the optimizer to around 24%.

The Latex optimizer is figured into the ink density so if you increase a lot you might want to recalibrate and maybe make a new profile.

dan1942

yes heaters are on I downloaded the IJ35c profile from the front panel. I printed it first in 10pass and it looked pretty bad. So I added a 12pass mode (was not on the original file) did the density test print everything looked good and I picked the 120% option. But every time I print something that is round or curved it looks bad. My Installer was not much help all we printed during his time was the calibration print and some of the ink density prints from the front panel and a ICC profile chart. We had issues with the grimco gloss house vinyl I had as it was puckering due to the heat. Right now I feel like I have a big paperweight, my 10 year old Roland puts this printer to shame I hope I can get this figured out.

dan1942

Thanks missed your reply. How do I confirm that I am printing at 600dpi from the front panel or by Onyx?

Hotspur

yes heaters are on I downloaded the IJ35c profile from the front panel. I printed it first in 10pass and it looked pretty bad. So I added a 12pass mode (was not on the original file) did the density test print everything looked good and I picked the 120% option. But every time I print something that is round or curved it looks bad. My Installer was not much help all we printed during his time was the calibration print and some of the ink density prints from the front panel and a ICC profile chart. We had issues with the grimco gloss house vinyl I had as it was puckering due to the heat. Right now I feel like I have a big paperweight, my 10 year old Roland puts this printer to shame I hope I can get this figured out.

So it looks like a poor profile or incompatible media.

A good approach on SAV is to select 10pass 100'c and then run the test file - check the ink levels looking carefully at the edges of the bleed patches and see which ink level seems best.

If the best one isn't the max ink - then increase the temp by 5-10'c and reprint - it may be that you can now choose a higher ink limit.

If the heat is causing issues lower it in the knowledge your ink limit will be lower.

Then enter the final ink limit and move on the the next stage, the calibration then icc

When you have saved the profile you can try a faster one starting at 8pass but following the same profiling logic - some SAV is fine at 8pass but some need 10 or 12.

With a 360 there's little point tweaking a canned profile - even the downloaded ones are not great.

Do your own from scratch and keep a close eye on the bleed patches and you should see an improvement.

ProColorGraphics

I hope you filled out the survey HP sends you appropriately. :) My tech from IT Supplies was great. I also downloaded the IJ35C profile, but made my own 12 pass as well. I am using Caldera, but I would think you should still get a good print. I haven't tried the other print modes to see what they look like.

What is the size of the print (width x height) that was posted? Based on the image file (which is inexact at best), it looks to be very small (less than 3 inches wide x 1 inch tall).

On the Latex 300 series, I would say that this edge definition problem at very small scale is related to the resolution of the raster data set that is sent from the RIP to the printer. In Onyx, using most media profiles, the default resolution of the data is 300ppi. This can cause modest, but noticeable edge definition problems in very small images, particularly noticeable in small type (< 8 point).

The solution is simple - to build or use a media profile that renders at 600ppi, which is 4x the resolution of 300ppi. The extra data in the raster data set allows the printer to produce a cleaner edge on very small or intricate jobs.

This setting is defined in the Print Mode list box in ONYX Job Editor module.

Attachments

• Resolution.JPG
    Resolution.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 106

dan1942

Ok I am lost here I can not find where it will let me adjust the print mode to 600dpi all the options I get is whatever available pass modes there are for that specific media in Onyx. I checked in job editor and tried to edit a quickset.
Thanks for your time!
Dan

dan1942

Hi Castek yes it was a pretty small file about 3x1 inches I problems with some bigger stuff as well.
I am looking now how to change the ppi

dan1942

ok here is the info from that print it says 300 so I need to build a profile that will allow me get it to 600ppi

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 109

dan1942

What is the size of the print (width x height) that was posted? Based on the image file (which is inexact at best), it looks to be very small (less than 3 inches wide x 1 inch tall).

On the Latex 300 series, I would say that this edge definition problem at very small scale is related to the resolution of the raster data set that is sent from the RIP to the printer. In Onyx, using most media profiles, the default resolution of the data is 300ppi. This can cause modest, but noticeable edge definition problems in very small images, particularly noticeable in small type (< 8 point).

The solution is simple - to build or use a media profile that renders at 600ppi, which is 4x the resolution of 300ppi. The extra data in the raster data set allows the printer to produce a cleaner edge on very small or intricate jobs.

This setting is defined in the Print Mode list box in ONYX Job Editor module.

ok if I switch it just generic adhesive backed vinyl it gives me all the options on dpi (600 and 300) for the different passes. So I guess starting with the 3m IJ35c profile was pointless and I should have just started with the generic and then built my ICC profile?

ok if I switch it just generic adhesive backed vinyl it gives me all the options on dpi (600 and 300) for the different passes. So I guess starting with the 3m IJ35c profile was pointless and I should have just started with the generic and then built my ICC profile?

In most cases, yes it is recommended that you start with the 'Generic' media, and then clone it and build a custom Media Profile from it. This will give you all of the options that are available for your print mode(s).

twmiller24

The latest firmware adds a 600 dpi option to the profiles and also has an edge smoothing setting in the settings. We were experiencing the same issue. Also, if you have a different rip, I believe Wasatch and Caldera have the 600 dpi option in their interface.

In our experience, adding/subtracting optimizer, and even slowing the printing down didn't have much of an impact. But when we updated the firmware, we saw a great quality improvement.

dan1942

ok great! I will check for firmware updates as well. I would think it should be pretty current the printer was installed last week but he did thumb drive for something which could be outdated.

We have been using 3M IJ35C and Grimcos IM3205 house vinyl with no issues. All profiles were downloaded from printer. And all of them print fine. we can print .25" letters and read them crystal clear. Not sure what the issue is with. Looked to me like the file was being rasterized to a like 72 dpi before printing.