• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

edge quality on Latex 360

twmiller24

ok great! I will check for firmware updates as well. I would think it should be pretty current the printer was installed last week but he did thumb drive for something which could be outdated.

It also might have something to do with Onyx. You could check their site for updates as well.

dan1942

In most cases, yes it is recommended that you start with the 'Generic' media, and then clone it and build a custom Media Profile from it. This will give you all of the options that are available for your print mode(s).

Ok I tried to clone the Generic Adhesive vinyl settings which gives me the options for 600dpi, but when cloned it takes that option away in Onyx ??

dypinc

I know Onyx is a PITA, so I would call them and make them walk you through it. They owe you some training also, don't they.

dan1942

Thanks dypinc! I just found it it is a process to get to but I know where it is now. Do you think keeping the optimizer at around 24% is a good all round percentage for glossy vinyl I see that it is currently set at 12%

dypinc

Thanks dypinc! I just found it it is a process to get to but I know where it is now. Do you think keeping the optimizer at around 24% is a good all round percentage for glossy vinyl I see that it is currently set at 12%

There is an onboard test you can do in setting for Latex Optimizer values. In my testing on vinyl getting up to about 24% seemed help in getting a smooth edge with less bleed or dot gain (what ever you want to call it) in edges. Just be aware that the Latex Optimizer is figured into the ink density.

Davo

600dpi setting will only show at higher 10+ pass rates depending on the profile you create on the printer. I profile all our media on the printer and use Onyx Production House. Since updating to the latest firmware on the printer have noticed a better edge on vector prints. I only use 12%-20% Optimizer and edges are fine.

dypinc

600dpi setting will only show at higher 10+ pass rates depending on the profile you create on the printer.

600dpi setting only showing at higher 10+ pass must be limitation of your RIP. I can do 600pdi at 8pass and above.

dypinc

When I had to get the L360 instead of putting money in an old L25500 to get it running I was forced to run demos of a couple different RIPs until my RIP supported the L360, I ran Onyx Thrive for a little bit. I don't remember if you could choose 600dpi at 8pass or not. Could have been buried in it somewhere, as I didn't care for it and moved on. I am pretty sure when I ran the Caldera demo that you could choose 600dpi at 8pass.

dan1942

I am able to change it to 600dpi on an 8pass. I am on Onyx Thrive you can change it going thru media manager and then edit an existing media profile

dan1942

Yes it is a lot better and the big problem was anything less then 600dpi . now that I know how to fix that in onyx things have been going good. I am still having some issues with the graininess of certain colors (really noticeable in grays)

dypinc

Yes it is a lot better and the big problem was anything less then 600dpi . now that I know how to fix that in onyx things have been going good. I am still having some issues with the graininess of certain colors (really noticeable in grays)

Since unfortunately HP took away the control of the light inks there is not much you can do about the graininess of certain colors. Higher passes help along with high enough Latex Optimizer setting so that the apparent graininess isn't coming from ink coalescing. Higher Ink densities may also help a little.

dan1942

Ok thanks. I did up my optimizer to 24% as you suggested and I am printing at least 12pass right now its better then before but not that good compared to my solvent printer.
Thanks

Scyan

One amazing trick for that printer when it comes to overspray in very thin lines is to add the gutters from Onyx to the edges of your print. I can get VERY sharp lines when using that in 8 passes. To enable the gutters, select the appropriate printer, click change on the right side menu. Then click on setup in the job placement menu. The Gutter option will be on the first page on the bottom left. Enable them both and leave them at 0.5" for now to test out.

Try your print again at 600dpi and be prepare to be amazed at the result... Whatever printmode you use will be fine...

dan1942

Thanks I will give that a try! Is that the option that actually print a cmy bar on each side as it makes its pass?