• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge2 or a Easy Bake Oven?

Scott Reynolds

I got the crazy idea to get a Edge. It will have to be used, so what do I have to know when looking. The good, the bad, you know. I have 7 years of wide format inkjets under my belt (60" and over). Other than a few months of using a Roland PC60 back in 97' or 98', I know very little about those crazy little thermal printers. Edge or Edge2. Thanks. Scott

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Edge II is a great printer and so is the FX. You can save some upfront costs getting a used Edge II but parts availability and repair services will run out sometime in the foreseeable future. Either machine is a profit center.

There's a pretty good thread at 4EdgeTalk.com on this subject. You may want to read through it as part of your research.

What software are you using? Setting up an Edge print and cut job is best done with software designed to handle it. Most of us Edge owners use Omega. Flexi and SignLab also will provide the capability.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I also own a license for Flexi Pro and have tried to use it for my Edge. It will work but what I found was that Flexi's approach was too different for my small brain and that I was already comfortable to the Gerber approach to setting up and running the typical Edge job.

Scott Reynolds

If it will work, I'll use Flexi. Are you using a PC or Mac Flexi. Ive been using the PC Flexi for 6 years and was thinking about getting the Mac.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I use the PC version. What would be the advantage of getting the Mac version? You need the PC version to drive the Edge. It makes more sense, if you don't already have it, to get Illustrator CS2 on the PC. Between that and Flexi, you can read just about any file that comes your way, Mac or PC, and have two great design applications as well.

Tony Teveris

Gerber offers MacImprint 2.0 as an Adobe Illustrator plug-in. But before purchasing read the requirements. There is limitations on OS, and AI versions.

You may want to search the 4edgetalk site for MacImprint.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
HSG said:
So you can't use the Edge with Mac?

My post was regarding the FlexiSign aspect of LV's the question. If he gets Flexi for the Mac he will be spending several thousand dollars to do so without gaining any advantage over his PC setup which he already owns.

What Tony states is true regarding the MacImprint plugin for Illustrator. There is a small and loyal group of supporters for the application. they are constantly, however, posting about the lag in development of it behind the PC version of Omega.

I have no knowledge as to whether or not Flexi for Mac can drive the Gerber Edge and question if it can. So getting Flexi for the Mac would probably leave LV in the position that he would have to export his setups to Illustrator and then use the MacImprint plugin just to send a job to the Edge.

Scott Reynolds

The Mac question is only because Im thinking about making the switch to Mac's for my design station. I still need to upgrade to CS2, among others, so I was going to switch over to then. I called and asked if I could trade in one of our two PC Flexi's for the Mac version, and they said no problem. I would still have one PC Flexi license in the office.

BUT. flexi is not what I was asking about, I dont want to hijack my own thread. Its the edge that I know very little about and its this crazy little printer I would like to know about. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If I was buying new I'd probably go for the FX. Especially if you don't have a few thousand dollars in foils sitting around. There may be a few new Edge 2's available but why bother if it's been discontinued :rolleyes: (for now)...:wink:

I print to my Edge 2 exclusively from Flexi. It's come a long way over the last couple years. A few of us had to beat them with a stick for a while but it works great now. It's nice to work out of 1 program for everything. I'd stay away from the Mac version.