• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Elastomeric Masonry Paint Cure time

OregonBolt

Hi all... I have taken on a job applying film to a Cinder Block wall. The customer has applied Behr Elastomeric Masonry, Stucco and Brick Paint this last weekend... I am looking for a good cure time prior to applying the films. Anyone? Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ask your customer for the can and read the instructions. If you still don't get it, call the manufacturer/company. That kinda paint expands and contracts at a very high rate and is prone to most things being resistant to it, especially vinyls. You might wanna consider hand painting your wall.

OregonBolt

Ask your customer for the can and read the instructions. If you still don't get it, call the manufacturer/company. That kinda paint expands and contracts at a very high rate and is prone to most things being resistant to it, especially vinyls. You might wanna consider hand painting your wall.
I've read the instructions regarding drying but could not find anything about it's length of offgassing...I've figured to wait at least 2-3 weeks...

But what I'm hearing you say is that the Orocal concrete and brick vinyl (or perhaps any...) likely won't adhere due to the changing state of this paint? I've sent a technical support message to Orocal and will wait until that answer comes back and will share what I learn.

Thank you for the feedback.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
If you end up doing this job. Do not give a warranty longer than 30 days.
Elastomeric Masonry, Stucco and Brick Paint is like a condom that you paint on. Holds in moisture and keeps moisture out.
That paint will stretch and contract in high and low temps.
Your best vinyl will stick to it but not for long especially in changing temperatures, wet and dry climates.
Like Gino said, Hand paint it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I've read the instructions regarding drying but could not find anything about it's length of offgassing...I've figured to wait at least 2-3 weeks...

But what I'm hearing you say is that the Orocal concrete and brick vinyl (or perhaps any...) likely won't adhere due to the changing state of this paint? I've sent a technical support message to Orocal and will wait until that answer comes back and will share what I learn.

Thank you for the feedback.
It doesn't mention outgassing because its nonsense that was made up by the sign industry. A tech sheet will specifically state time to handle and time to cure. That's what you go by.
Do an adhesion test but it may not last. It's designed to stretch over cracks in masonry to keep water from entering and causing damage from things like freeze/thaw cycles. So as a crack opens a bit, the film stretches and will cause you problems, even paint over it can crack and peel off since it does not stretch. I may be off here but I think once you use an elastomeric coating, you should use the same going back over it. Sell him on a sign instead.