• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Electric paper cutters (guillotines)

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Anyone here use electric paper cutters / Guillotines?
To cut stacks of paper or stickers etc?

Looking at options for something up to 500mm wide.
Either get a cheap old second hand one. or possibly a chinese one from alibaba,
i need something to get by for now.

• Agree
Reactions: BVG

DARRELL OAKS

Look at the auctions going on, you can get one fairly cheap. Try boggsequipment.com or wirebids.com. They have cutters all the time.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Another possibility is a new or used hydraulic cutter. The school has two in the lab, they're beasts.
Which ones/brands?

I was looking at something called "500v9" there's many brands etc of this. but i cannot find anyone using one or talking about them.

Electric, hydraulic. either one. i think "electric paper cutters" are what they're called in the print world. i could be wrong.

rjssigns

Which ones/brands?

I was looking at something called "500v9" there's many brands etc of this. but i cannot find anyone using one or talking about them.

Electric, hydraulic. either one. i think "electric paper cutters" are what they're called in the print world. i could be wrong.
When I'm on campus again I'll get the name. You'd think with all the time spent running them I'd know that..:rolleyes:

rjssigns

thanks, that would be great!
Here ya go! Campus is on break so I didn't want to fire up anything. All touch screen and double prox switches to activate blade. Foot operated hold down to see where the blade will drop. Also shows shadow lines like some miter saws. Handy if you don't feel like punching in numbers. Gets plenty close.
Cutter.JPG

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Here ya go! Campus is on break so I didn't want to fire up anything. All touch screen and double prox switches to activate blade. Foot operated hold down to see where the blade will drop. Also shows shadow lines like some miter saws. Handy if you don't feel like punching in numbers. Gets plenty close.
View attachment 155872
Oh yes i was looking at something similar but chinese.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We bought a really inexpensive one off of Amazon a while back. Just for testing a project. We had to mess with it a bit to get it accurate, but it worked fairly well. I think ours is 17" (430mm) wide.

Attachments

• paper-cutter-at-FireSprint.jpg
    paper-cutter-at-FireSprint.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We bought a really inexpensive one off of Amazon a while back. Just for testing a project. We had to mess with it a bit to get it accurate, but it worked fairly well. I think ours is 17" (430mm) wide.
That's helpful!
Ive seen that one on alibaba. probably 1k + delivery.

It's either that, or there's a few second hand ones that are german, but manual backstop.
Im leaning towards the manual one as it's easily serviceable.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
We use a Challenge 30 inch cutter in our sheet fed printing department.
Found it used 20 years ago and still running strong.
See them all the time on ebay.

RandyDe

I ended up getting an IDEAL ideal 4850 with in budget.
That will be the perfect machine to get started. I can't remember if that one has the hand crank to tighten the back blade or not? But it will work. I did find with our old cutter that the hand crank was sometimes difficult to manage accurate cuts with tall stacks of glossy paper or sticker material. We've upgraded to a hydraulic cutter and its much better but this does come at a cost of course. Good luck!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
That will be the perfect machine to get started. I can't remember if that one has the hand crank to tighten the back blade or not? But it will work. I did find with our old cutter that the hand crank was sometimes difficult to manage accurate cuts with tall stacks of glossy paper or sticker material. We've upgraded to a hydraulic cutter and its much better but this does come at a cost of course. Good luck!
this is the one with the electric clamp and blade. just a manual backplate. basically good enough for most jobs. For what i paid for it, it wouldn't pay for a new mechanical one..So im wrapped!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Nice, let us know how it works out.
Being German, i think it'll be great!.
We gave it a quick service, oil and grease etc. very basic internals.
i've ran a few jobs on it, no issues. I'll probably get the spare blade sharpened and use it for a few years or so.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Being German, i think it'll be great!.
We gave it a quick service, oil and grease etc. very basic internals.
i've ran a few jobs on it, no issues. I'll probably get the spare blade sharpened and use it for a few years or so.
That cutter will last you another 20 years

DirtyBirdPress

Challenge is the go to brand in the cut sheet side of things. Make sure to look up the model before you buy it though. They had a series or two that the hydraulics were bad and it costs more to replace than what the cutter is worth. I do not remember the exact series.