• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employee Morale

billsines

Hey all, just wondering if you guys do anything for employee morale. We do pizza every few weeks, pizza whenever someone takes a new job or leaves, we did donuts today. We also have a Christmas party with prizes and such. Just wondering how everyone else keeps employee morale up, or how to make your shop a fun place to work and increase employee loyalty.

AKwrapguy

Hey all, just wondering if you guys do anything for employee morale. We do pizza every few weeks, pizza whenever someone takes a new job or leaves, we did donuts today. We also have a Christmas party with prizes and such. Just wondering how everyone else keeps employee morale up, or how to make your shop a fun place to work and increase employee loyalty.

Paying them a livable wage. Not yelling at them also over stupid shit also helps.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
+1 on paying a livable wage and being understanding of, a reasonable amount, of mistakes. People make mistakes and if you berate them on the first one they will never learn and will resent you. That being said, if they make the same mistake a bunch of times and don't show motivation to fix or learn from their mistakes, they have to go. I would add that collaborating with employees rather than dictating to them can go a long way. The best bosses I have ever had asked me what I think and took it into consideration rather than tell me what to do all the time. It made me feel like I was part of something rather than a wage slave.

flyplainsdrifta

make your employees feel needed and valued within the company! always made me a better employee. pizza and fun times help along with that. also what vander j said...not to piggy back. but he said it best.

mark galoob

i agree with a living wage...i also ask my employees for their opinion all time...may not necessarly use their advice but it gives them a sense of ownership. i also do an employee bonus cash bonus program every month...more $$$ the less mistakes you make, and if the store does well it gets better...i also have a kudos cash bonus program...customer gives a kudos to an employee, thats worth $$$.

m

papabud

Lone Wolf
my number one is respect. respect them as people and trained professionals.
i had a boss (for a very short time). that expected you to give 100% and be 200% dedicated to his business. he short changed you on pay. and would change his mind on what your expectations was more often than you change underwear. and would berate you for not meeting those expectations.
he was the type of boss that would do anything to pinch a penny to the point that you didnt even have the material to run a job cause he wasn't ready to order more yet.
the day i up and quit on him was the day of my grandmothers funeral. i told him 2 days in advance and that i was a pole bearer and i was taking the day off. he agreed. then while i was driving to the funeral. he called me and told me he needed me at the shop for a hot rush job, and i was to drop everything and come in. i told him no and i wont be in anymore.

ikarasu

A living wage definitely helps. It doesn't have to be super high...But if you're paying the very least you can to your employee, and it doesn't even match industry standards... Expect them to leave. If your employee is good... they should be making above the average pay, not below it. So short changing them on salary makes them feel like theyre not appreciated.

The #1 thing I like is when we do something new... My boss asks my opinion on how I would do it. On what would be easy for me, whether its to print, or to install. Then I'm not wasting my time, or the companies trying to do something thats flawed.

It helps if you're willing to help your employee advance his career / skills... I've been offered so many courses, everything from Graphic design to vinyl installs, to a week long course across the country, all expenses paid. It shows that while you're investing yourself and your time in the Company, they're willing to do the same for you.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Lunches for the shop on employee birthdays (employee picks), free food when OT is required, holiday parties (usually end up being half days), yearly raises, bonuses when the shop is doing well, music on the production floor. There are SO many little, inexpensive things that make employees happy too. Thank yous, asking for input, not berating them, etc.

The more you give the more they want, if you are too friendly they'll sh*t on your head (excuse me). Give a decent salary and be strict but fair. A good boss knows exactly what he wants and can give clear and straightforward directions and deadlines. Never wait until your employee asks for a raise - be one step ahead. My concept is to give 10% more compared to the shop next door, the employee will be happy. Give a day off after busy days and they'll be super happy. Don't forget - an employee is not a family member or a friend, they don't need to like you but they must respect you. IMHO

equippaint

Most important thing to do to keep morale up is to get rid of any "cancers" with bad attitudes, work ethics etc.
Give employees autonomy. Studies have shown time and time again that it is not about the money. It's all about people having some say in decision making and feeling like a valued person. No amount of donuts or pizza will trump this.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
We ask our techs what they want to learn new each year and then figure out a way to help them learn it. We also let them lead on projects that they express an interest in and try our best to make their efforts succesful.

Quark

Merchant Member
So paying and expecting the job well done is not enough these days. You also have to keep kissing ass elaborately. I’m so sick n tired of this bs