• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employees on Cell Phones

Should non-essential cell phones be banned in the workplace?

• Total voters

ikarasu

That's all well and good, but for an owner, you cannot have double standards. That IS illegal. Therefore the rules must be implemented for the weakest link and unfortunately, that would most likely be the abusers and users. A one man shop or even two or three, you can break the rules, but if it's found out by others..... your rules are then considered nonsense and deemed illegal. You'll be the one getting in trouble over some idiot on the phone just using up empty space........

On paper, that's true. I used to work as a manager for a company that employed 60ish people. When you wanted someone gone, you found a way / reason.

Good employee take a look at his cellphone and you don't want to punish him, but bad employees constantly on his phone? Well... bad employee now just got a Performance review about not getting the work done he should be able to get done. Is it becoming a problem again? Well... another performance review. You can leave the cell phones out of it completely, and get your point across / have ground to terminate if you need to.

Not every employee is treated the same, whether it's an employee at the bottom or at the top. I've seen managers / sales guys get away with stuff that would get anyone else fired, or at least talked to.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like I said, you cannot have double standards...... or you a$$ is grass..... much like the crap that goes on around here.

Listen to the questions from the members here.

How do I do this or that ?? Answers are all over the place, but the only answer that counts is what's on your policy board. Don't have a policy board in place ?? Then, you cannot punish one customer over another, if you haven't outlined what is and isn't plausible. Once the rules are in place, you can break the rules, if you so see the need to, but why have rules if you're gonna break them ?? Like vander.... it should be up to the individual, but if the individual isn't responsible with YOUR time and money, then phtttt on them.

I've seen far more lower end employees over the years get away with stuff then managers and such. There are bad ones, but numbers alone will tell ya, there's more bad people on the payroll than the higher paid ones.​

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have kids, I need to be on my cell phone, even at work. I also use it as my finances, meetings, yellow legal pad, gallery, etc. I have a Note so it is also my #1 work tool as a PM...

What do your spawn have to do with your having to be on a cell phone? Ponder just how the human race managed to survive with these instruments of rudeness.

A cell phone seems to give people an inflated self-importance. In reality there's very little in life that can't wait. Your house is on fire? You cell phone isn't going to hose it out. Someone died? Your cell phone isn't going to bring them back to life. Someone sick? Your cell phone isn't going to bring them back to health.

There was a certain elegance in a time when any and every endeavor wasn't disrupted by a cell phone. Are cell phones handy? Certainly, but just as certainly you can live without them. If do don't feel that this would be possible you might want to re-evaluate what passes for your life.If I had any employees, and I thank what ever gods there be that I don't, all cell phones would be require to be placed in a lock box while in my service. No exceptions.

Breezy85

What do your spawn have to do with your having to be on a cell phone? Ponder just how the human race managed to survive with these instruments of rudeness.

A cell phone seems to give people an inflated self-importance. In reality there's very little in life that can't wait. Your house is on fire? You cell phone isn't going to hose it out. Someone died? Your cell phone isn't going to bring them back to life. Someone sick? Your cell phone isn't going to bring them back to health.

There was a certain elegance in a time when any and every endeavor wasn't disrupted by a cell phone. Are cell phones handy? Certainly, but just as certainly you can live without them. If do don't feel that this would be possible you might want to re-evaluate what passes for your life.If I had any employees, and I thank what ever gods there be that I don't, all cell phones would be require to be placed in a lock box while in my service. No exceptions.

So let me ask. If your cell phone rang right now from an official saying your wife/child was in the hospital after being in a car wreck, you would choose to stay at work rather than rush to be by their side? I'm sorry but I know a job is important, but my family is more important. I wouldn't stay at work if a family member was in any serious condition like that.

I spent lots of time in the restaurant industry where cell phone use was not allowed during work hours. I'd turn it on silent, stick it in my apron and work my shift. I always gave family members the restaurant phone number in case there was a serious emergency, they could contact me on the restaurant number. The only time I would be on my phone is between shifts or on breaks. Same at my current job. I only play music on my phone, but for the most part I only choose to do anything on it on my lunch break. My family has the shop phone number in case there's an emergency.

That being said, I believe cell phone use should not be permitted on work time unless it's an emergency. Even then, just give family members your work number for emergencies and put the phone away and on silent.

ProPDF

Get a short distance cell jammer and hide it. I don't care if it's legal. Don't disclose the wifi password and have an office phone for those facebook emergency calls needed. The owner can run their own cell off the wifi when cell signal is not "available". There are a lot of businesses and jobs that require you to check your cell and electronic devices at the door.

Using paid work time for personal use is theft on top of being dangerous.

We get horrible service in the building o_O and I have no idea why???

equippaint

We do have an unwritten policy about cell phones and at this point in time its pretty common knowledge with everyone in any workplace. I'm not a daycare center or prison so checking them in and out at the office is not an option.
As far as steering the ship, yes I steer the ship and it would be the death of my company to fire every person I see touch their phones. We don't have people banging down our doors to put on a sandblast suit and go out in the Florida sun to work all day so there is a bit of tolerance required. The crew we have now is good with the exception of this so I feel a bit backed into the corner.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So let me ask. If your cell phone rang right now from an official saying your wife/child was in the hospital after being in a car wreck, you would choose to stay at work rather than rush to be by their side? I'm sorry but I know a job is important, but my family is more important. I wouldn't stay at work if a family member was in any serious condition like that...

And, having been notified of whatever catastrophe you might dream up, how exactly is your presence of even knowledge of the event going to make anything different than it would be had you been made aware at some later time? Your family or whatever might be important to you but it's most likely not to anyone else.

Your example is what's referred to as a corner condition. For the most part cell phones interrupt the flow of human endeavor to swap chili recipes or describe the cute thing your dog did. Useless and totally unimportant.

Breezy85

And, having been notified of whatever catastrophe you might dream up, how exactly is your presence of even knowledge of the event going to make anything different than it would be had you been made aware at some later time? Your family or whatever might be important to you but it's most likely not to anyone else.

Your example is what's referred to as a corner condition. For the most part cell phones interrupt the flow of human endeavor to swap chili recipes or describe the cute thing your dog did. Useless and totally unimportant.

I think anyone would say their family is more important, their child or spouse is more important. So best not to speak for "anyone else" in this case. I'm sorry that you don't find the importance of loved ones a priority.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Breezy, let me ask you a question.

It's raining outside. Coming down kinda heavy and looks like it's gonna rain for quite some time.

The young couple is upset and says to each other, why did it hafta rain ?? Now our picnic is ruined and all the fun is gone for this afternoon. Why oh why ??

The farmer says, oh finally, RAIN, now my crops will get watered and they'll grow and I can have a good harvest, Thank goodness for the rain.

So which one is right ?? Do you view it as a glass half full or half empty ?? The facts are the facts and you cannot change them. You can only partake accordingly.​

Breezy85

Breezy, let me ask you a question.

It's raining outside. Coming down kinda heavy and looks like it's gonna rain for quite some time.

The young couple is upset and says to each other, why did it hafta rain ?? Now our picnic is ruined and all the fun is gone for this afternoon. Why oh why ??

The farmer says, oh finally, RAIN, now my crops will get watered and they'll grow and I can have a good harvest, Thank goodness for the rain.

So which one is right ?? Do you view it as a glass half full or half empty ?? The facts are the facts and you cannot change them. You can only partake accordingly.​

That's completely irrelevant to the point. :rolleyes:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I'...I can't see why you guys would ban music....

It's a safety issue. You can't jump from any falling sign if you can't hear me screaming at you!
We have satellite radio in the production area so no need for someone to wear headphones while working. Don't like the music choice? Awwww.
Another policy that we have trouble with is "No open toe" shoes i.e. sandals, flip-flops etc. Too many knives rolling off tables.

Breezy85

It's a safety issue. You can't jump from any falling sign if you can't hear me screaming at you!
We have satellite radio in the production area so no need for someone to wear headphones while working. Don't like the music choice? Awwww.
Another policy that we have trouble with is "No open toe" shoes i.e. sandals, flip-flops etc. Too many knives rolling off tables.

Yes, a million times. I can barely hear anything when I have the printer going, the plotter running and the central air blowing. It gets loud in here, let alone wearing headphones.

AKwrapguy

I think that the cell phone/social media issues are going to be an ongoing thing for years to come. I think that anytime safety is a concern, there should be a no cell phone rule. If a designer in a loud environment wants to put in some headphones and listen to music or podcast, I understand.

However if any employee is on the phone talking, just standing around and not working, this is a problem and should be addressed.

No personal social media, ever... that shit is for break time of when your off the clock.

clarizeyale

There's a time and place for everything. Depending on the type of work you do, being on your phone can either be rude, a safety hazard, or simply just how one operates.

I personally find it rude, if say, you're meeting with someone and your phone rings and you go to answer it. Your attention should be to the person you are meeting with. If it was important, they'd call again, leave a message whether it's voice or SMS and you can get back to them in about 10-15mins. The world is not ending.

If you are working in a more hazardous environment (installing, handling big machinery, etc.)... there is absolutely no reason to be on your phone.

I don't even think people should even be walking and texting or whatever for that matter but unfortunately, people do not think this is a problem :rolleyes:

With production, I don't think people should be busting out their phones to text/call/facebook. But of course, with a small shop.. there are exceptions. (too slow, nothing to do) but it probably shouldn't be done in the middle of a job. We had someone do this ALL the time and I swear it was just a mess always waiting to happen.

Learn to put your phone down. The internet is not going anywhere.

Breezy85

I think that the cell phone/social media issues are going to be an ongoing thing for years to come. I think that anytime safety is a concern, there should be a no cell phone rule. If a designer in a loud environment wants to put in some headphones and listen to music or podcast, I understand.

However if any employee is on the phone talking, just standing around and not working, this is a problem and should be addressed.

No personal social media, ever... that shit is for break time of when your off the clock.

See I'm the designer where I am and production. I'm constantly up and down, plus if the phone rings when the boss is out I need to be able to hear the phone. Headphones are just not an option for me. I do have a mini speaker I bring in when I have lots of production and barely any design, I can just listen to music that way.

Places I used to work, I was a trainer/supervisor and it drove me bonkers when employees would stand around on their phones when they could have been doing other stuff to keep busy.

There's a time and place for everything. Depending on the type of work you do, being on your phone can either be rude, a safety hazard, or simply just how one operates.

I personally find it rude, if say, you're meeting with someone and your phone rings and you go to answer it. Your attention should be to the person you are meeting with. If it was important, they'd call again, leave a message whether it's voice or SMS and you can get back to them in about 10-15mins. The world is not ending.

If you are working in a more hazardous environment (installing, handling big machinery, etc.)... there is absolutely no reason to be on your phone.

I don't even think people should even be walking and texting or whatever for that matter but unfortunately, people do not think this is a problem :rolleyes:

With production, I don't think people should be busting out their phones to text/call/facebook. But of course, with a small shop.. there are exceptions. (too slow, nothing to do) but it probably shouldn't be done in the middle of a job. We had someone do this ALL the time and I swear it was just a mess always waiting to happen.

Learn to put your phone down. The internet is not going anywhere.

Haha exactly! When Pokémon Go first came out, I can't tell you how many people I saw outside our front doors trip over the curb :rolleyes:
People can't walk and text, let alone drive and text.
Just put the phone away on company time. No double standards either. If managers say no phones, the manager can't be on their phone either.

equippaint

So what do you actually do? It's easy to go on here and simply say make a policy and fire the violators but we all know that is not reality. Quite frankly I don't believe most people here would fire an otherwise decent employee over it. What, if anything, have you said to employees that you don't want to fire that has worked?
Phones today are reminding me a bit of smokers of the past that would duck out of work every hour to have a smoke. Or try and work with 1 hand holding a cigarette all day.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We're pretty lucky I guess....we are all adults and treated as such. Sure there are times I'll see a little overuse of phones, but in general, everyone gets their work done and handles a call or text as needed. No one has needed reprimanding that I know of here.

ikarasu

Every shop is different though, what may be a safety issue for you, isn't for everyone else.

The job I'm in now... We have a CNC machine on one end of the warehouse, a huge, and I mean huge air compressor thats on 24/7... really loud. Table/band saw is running most days. + Other machinery... Most of our stations earmuffs / earplugs are mandatory. I have a pair of noise canceling earphones I use... Even when I'm not listening to music, I have the headphones on. It's more comfortable for me, blocks the noise sufficiently (We had them tested), and I'm not listening to white noise/no sound 8 hours a day. I'd go bonkers, I'd probably end up quitting because it drove me so crazy.

We have mandatory hearing tests every 6-8 months because of how noisy our shop is.

We don't use them when we're out on installs or on site for safety issues.. Mainly traffic and other stuff.

ikarasu

So what do you actually do? It's easy to go on here and simply say make a policy and fire the violators but we all know that is not reality. Quite frankly I don't believe most people here would fire an otherwise decent employee over it. What, if anything, have you said to employees that you don't want to fire that has worked?
Phones today are reminding me a bit of smokers of the past that would duck out of work every hour to have a smoke. Or try and work with 1 hand holding a cigarette all day.
Sit them down and talk to them about it? Be reasonable, but firm. Tell them what you expect of them, when you believe using a phone is ok, and when it's not.

If it keeps up... Give them an unpaid day off / write up. If it still happens... let them know the next time it's not going to be a simple write up. Whether you fire them or not is whether it's worth it to you. If it bothers you so much, you may need to... Once one person gets fired over it, I'm sure the rest will fall into line quickly... at least until they become complacent again.

If you let it go on and on and on though, it'll be a harder habit to break because they'll think it's ok.

Also keep in mind, if your employees find you unreasonable... Odds are they'll look for another job. I'm not saying to allow, or not to allow phone use... I'm just saying pick the battles that mean a lot to you. Too many rules and people wont want to stay, too few rules and people wont get the job done.