• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder Strip Cleaning

airborneassault

Good morning! I recently had the prompt pop up to clean my encoder strip on our HP 360. I've used a soft cloth and water but there is a stubborn spot or 2 that won't let loose...does anybody know if it's possible to use alcohol on the encoder without negative effects? Thanks in advance!

GB2

Old Member
I don't have the definitive reference for you right this moment but I'm sure that it's stated in manuals NOT to use alcohol on the encoder strip. If I find it later I'll post it

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it's anything like the encoders in solvent machines, alcohol should be fine. I wouldn't use denatured alcohol but would use the regular 70% isopropyl stuff.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i used water like they suggest to clean mine. and i didn't like the way it left it looking.
i have used alcohol on it a few times.
but a normal wipe now and then will help keep it clean

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If it's anything like the encoders in solvent machines, alcohol should be fine. I wouldn't use denatured alcohol but would use the regular 70% isopropyl stuff.
They are and aren't. HP's manual for the FB700 (I know, different machine, but I'd guess same guidelines) suggests being very careful when cleaning the encoder so you don't scrub off the marks. They do say you can use a 70/30 mix of alcohol and water, but under no circumstances should you "scrub."
For the OP, if your encoder is that dirty, you may need to change it. If you're going to try the scrubbing method, I'd suggest not doing it until you have a replacement on hand to replace it if it doesn't work. If it does work, you at least have one for when cleaning no longer helps.

Last edited:

Dan360

I've always just used water. But I do it regularly once a month so I've never let it get bad enough for the printer to prompt a cleaning.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Rubber band 2 sponge swabs together, and pass that over the strip every couple weeks. Dry is fine, or mist it with alcohol. Will keep it clean for a long time.

Billct2

If it's like the HP aqueous encoder strips I use water and a coffee filter (as recommended by one of their techs)