• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

english language oddities

Tim Aucoin

Loved it Eric... he sure does have a point! For a simple language, it sure is tuff! :Big Laugh Okay, that's enuff of that!

WildWestDesigns

Loved it Eric... he sure does have a point! For a simple language, it sure is tuff! :Big Laugh Okay, that's enuff of that!

That's what happens when we have one of the tougher languages out there. So many rules and then so many exceptions. Not to mention when you get into regional issues and slang.

It just never stops.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Just like we park in a driveway, but drive through a parkway!

Yeah, and apartments are all stuck together???
Why isnt phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
Why are there interstate Highways in Hawai'i?
One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?
Lot's out there on sites...English is full of Canundrums.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese?...

Bzzzt. Wrong.

The plural of goose is gooses. A goose is a female of the species informally known as geese. A gander is a male of that same species. The phrase 'Two geese' refers to a pair of sexually indeterminate members of the species. Likewise 'Two gooses' refers to a pair of female geese. Any reference that cites anything to the contrary was written by city boys who, on this subject, don't know their collective asses from a hot rock.

Moreover, you don't say 'One geese' or 'A geese' for the same reason you don't say 'One cattle' or 'A cattle'.