• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Engravable material(acrylic sheet)

berthomier

Hi,
I'm looking to make a few signs using these multilayers acrylic sheets(For example blue in front and white for the engraved part).
I found a brand named Colorcore but it seems to only work with a CNC router( The top part would melt if used with a laser engraver).
Is there any other material such as the ColorCore that could be engraved by a laser?
Thanks for your precious help.

CES020

Rowmark is the brand name you're looking for. There's also IPI (innovative plastics), but I'm told Rowmark bought them, so rowmark is a good place to start.

They have products made just for laser engraving.

Custom_Grafx

Rowmark is the brand name you're looking for. There's also IPI (innovative plastics), but I'm told Rowmark bought them, so rowmark is a good place to start.

They have products made just for laser engraving.

I didn't know that! That will make things interesting here in Sydney hehehe.

Do you have a preference? I've used both, although mainly Rowmark historically. When I was a kid I remember gravoply alot though.

I heard they gonna start bringing in some new brand from China soon.

CES020

I didn't know it either until someone here mentioned it. Then I saw it mentioned in a supplier newsletter, I think.

I personally use almost all rowmark. I've had series issues with IPI in the past, mainly the material coming in so bowed I couldn't use it. Having said, that, I have issues with some rowmark bowing too. I've just learned ways to work around it.

China made engraving plastic? I think I'll pass on that one :) We'll find out 3 years later it had PVC in it and now all our lasers are corroding :)

Gravograph makes good stuff, but I've found them to be hard to work with and expensive. We use all 3, when we have to, but if we don't have to use ipi or gravograph, we don't.

Custom_Grafx

Yeah curious to see what the Chinese version is like.

Bowing is annoying!!!!! I think getting it with the adhesive on the back doesn't help sometimes either.

V-ENGRAVE

ColorCore is not what you would use for your application. That is another name for material known as Formica or Phenolic.
As others have already pointed out what you are looking for is Rowmark LaserMax or Laser Mark sheet stock. Closest to you would be distributor from Australia or New Zealand.
(http://www.amtmazak.co.nz/products.html)

If you are to make only few of these signs you can use 1/16" or 1/8" clear acrylic, paint it on one side with Kraylon paint, reverse engrave your text or graphic than paint fill engraved area with contrasting color.

berthomier

Thanks everyone!!
This is exactly the kind of materials I was looking for.
Also, does anyone know where I could find blank wood magnets for engraving?
Thanks again for the fast reply and the accuracy regarding the materials.

Dave Drane

Rowmark have a product called safe-T-Mark which is a very good all round substrate. "Wood Magnet"?? More information please.

CES020

A wood magnet is a small piece of wood, commonly made from Alder with a magnet stuck on the back. Alder engraves beautifully, and it's cheap.

Not sure where you'll find them in your neck of the woods. They are out there, but you have to look for them. You should search out an engraving forum. You'll find more answers for suppliers around the world there, than you will here. Not too many engravers here.