• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Enroute4 - Rounded Edges?

briderx

I am using Enroute4. I have been trying (with lots of fail) to create a letter out of foam. 1.5" foam - With .125" rounded edge on the face.. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I have been now about 8 hours into this with no progress.. Anyone?!

If your response is anywhere along the lines of "replace your software" then please do not respond.. Thanks!

MVIP

You are just trying to round off the edge? I use a round over bit and run it on my outside tool path creating a round over. Then use you end mill to cut out the letter.

I think you can get round over at Lowes or Home Depot. Just make sure it's a plunge bit not a bearing.

-Matt

briderx

I have a roundover.. Would love to figure it out in 3D though, as that's what the software is made for.. I figure if I "cheat" myself, I won't learn properly

MVIP

I took a class on the 3d, but have never upgraded. Tom Penner would be the guy to contact.

I would think that doing this in 3d would be time consuming though. From a machining standpoint.

-Matt

iSign

I was just discussing a job I'd like to do that on yesterday & although I don't have a round-over tool, I felt that this would be the best way to do the job. I'm still a total noob with enroute, but the 3D way I would think of first would be to take my contour, create relief, & then in that relief window, choose the button shaped one & then you have some depth, height or angle settings to play with and a little graphic that changes as you tweak it.

If it's a simple shape (oh yeah, you said letters), I guess this "contour" approach might give you the results you desire with an 1/8" ball nose (& maybe just a bit of sanding) ...but I would think for aconstant 90 degree curve... you will save lots of router time with a round-over bit, and get more consistent results as well.

I agree with the above comment that it's not cheating at all.

briderx

yeah if its only a 1/8" rounded edge, you'de be cheatin yourself for tryin it in 3d

Yeah, but the learning experience was gonna be worth it.. I caved in and am now sitting here with my roundover bit.. Amazingly good results, but now I don't know how to properly set that up in 3d.. will have to teach myself at another time. Thanks all for the help and the advice..

3dsignco

Got me thinking,Does enroute have a shape editor. You can adjust the roundness by putting a limit on the amount lofted.

rounbd over.jpg

briderx

Enroute DOES have a shape editor.. BUT, so far I could not get anything near what the roundover bit does.. I tried masking I tried adjusting by 10 degrees on EVERY object.. I literally tried everything. I really don't think there is a user-friendly way to make it work.. I have come up with some VERY interesting designs though.. So, I guess in the end: I learned.. Just not what I wanted to.

briderx

so, was my suggestion one of the things you tried? If so, what did you end up with?

Nope.. I can get pretty close, but it looks like garbage once routed. I have been doing the whole job on 1/8" ballnose. There was a short video done for me by the Enroute tech down in Oregon that did it his way, but still came out to the same thing I get each time.. A half rounded letter.

briderx

I hope I don't get in trouble for this.. Fred.. BUT, it's lunch time and I don't have the time to go back and read the rules about posting external video.. If needed, please remove it.

http://screencast.com/t/RMUkBUoGo0

This is EXACTLY how to do it.. One of my buddies over @ the Enroute forum created it for me..