• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EPS help!

LabelsEtc

I have an EPS file that I can't open and need to get the project going this weekend. I'm guessing that it was saved in a new format and my CorelDraw 9 is just too old for it.

Could someone please convert it to an older version for me?

Thanks,
Donna

LabelsEtc

I sent you an email through the forum with my email address, but it won't let me send an attachment, and the security features won't show me your address.

If you could please send your address privately, I'll send you the file.

Thanks,
Donna

LabelsEtc

All set!

Shovelhead converted it for me, so I'm all set.

I'll keep the rename file tip and the Postcript Interpreted tip for next time too.

Thanks guys! You're the greatest!

Donna

rockongraphix

labelsetc , i use jasc paint shop pro , it can read the esp's then i find the image i want and am able to convet it what ever type i would like ,lucky the flex software i have can read the esp's .
Michael
Rockongraphix

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:design: Michael, I'm not picking on you here so don't take offense. I think you're not understanding the value of reading a vector based EPS (Encapsulated Postscript) file appropriately. The best way to use a vector file is to be able to open it with little or no further processing needed.

EPS comes in lots of variations. The most confusing of which is the bitmap versions generated out of various bitmap image editing applications such as Photoshop and Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Their only relation to Postscript is in the area of color management. A Photoshop EPS will not run your plotter. An Illustrator EPS usually will.

If you are using Jasc PSP as part of your regular procedures, then you are regularly converting perfectly good vectors into bitmaps and, I presume, autotracing them back into vectors so you can use them for plotting.

The net effect is two generations of serious image quality deterioration. Once when you open the vector file in PSP and another when you autotrace it back into vectors.

Sometime when you have five or ten minutes to spare, take a known to be good vector file that has been professionally prepared and put it through your PSP procedures. Then bring it into Flexi and group it. Next click on Import and bring in the original file, group it and make it a different color. Now select both and enter Control +5 to justify them on both axes. Finally compare the original to the processed one and note the changes that have occurred.

If you want to be able to open all EPS files, the best solution is to spring for a copy of Adobe Illustrator and keep it upgraded. The difference in the quality of what you cut on your plotter will be noticed by enough customers that your investment will be recouped on a frequent and regular basis.

Last edited:

Lance

Fred
I wonder how many others got benefit from that explanation. I cleared up several questions I have been wanting to ask.
Feel free to keep pumping out these little bits of info, I feel a lot of us are picking up on it.
Ta very muchly

Best
Lance

:thumb:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
IllustratorCS2 is a very good application. It's certainly handy for opening just about any kind of AI, EPS or PDF file and then converting the art to the version of EPS you need.

When using Illustrator just be careful about using many of the raster-based effects (such a gradient mesh or feathered drop shadows). Keep checking the "outline" view of your artwork to see the actual vector paths.

The only knock I have with Illustrator is its tendency to bloat file sizes when saving artwork. The same logo saved in Corel or Freehand might require 40kb on disc. IllustratorCS2 could turn the same logo into a 800kb file. Pretty strange.

rockongraphix

thanks fred , no offense taken, i am Learning everyday , i will be trying these new thing now to see how everything comes out .
Michael
Rockongraphix