• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S40600 banding?

SameDay Signs

SO we've have our epson for a couple months now with no complaints the thing prints beautiful and quielty and as it should but last couple days i've been getting banding...attached is a picture and not sure why...we've cleaned it very good and even upped the passes to 6 pass high quality and still getting banding

any ideas could it be the profile maybe even? haven't had this issue though before and the nozzle test was flawless
Any help quickly would be appreciated as we are about to print a wrap and can't obviously have this

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 449

a77

Have you tried a feed calibration? Try the auto version in "Media Adjust".
I would try it with the takeup reel attached, then perform that operation. I'm guessing you won't see that banding again.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Saturn

Aging Member
We love to hear what solved the problem too! Makes a good resource for the next person with an issue.

RG

I came across the attached PDF file a few months ago. Looks really helpful for this problem. Hope it will help you and others with the same problem.

Attachments

• EEE-TP-TG-13-016_RevB.pdf
    950.3 KB · Views: 595

a77

Nice document. I think it's the feed rate and nozzles are fine. 6pass should be fine always, if the media adjustments are done correctly. I can get 4pass on some matte vinyls to look perfect as well.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
You can print 6 passes when the printhead is new, 8 pass will cover the clogged or deflected nozzles.

Our machine is over 3 years old and we can print 6 pass (4 pass as well) without any banding like this.
But yes, more passes will hide the issue but maybe not the best solution for everyone.
I would run a media calibration on this again as it can drift over time.

CanuckSigns

I had that exact issue a few years ago on my s80600, epson replaced one of the print heads under warrantee and it worked great again. Now 3 years later it's starting to pop up again and I suspect the second print head is on its last legs.

What I found will help is to run the "head maintenance" under the maintenance menu, this does a very through cleaning and has gotten rid of this issue in the past for me temporarily

SameDay Signs

Still getting it the banding...not sure what i can do nozzle checks are good it gradually fades after awhile i'll clean then good then back again...any cleaning tips or anything i can do to improve is much appreceaited.....Also nobody on the east coast or ohio sells these supplies? even my wensco doesn't sell cleaning kits which i need...any advice appreacicted as im coming from mimaki and know nothing about epson cleaning

SameDay Signs

Did you put the vinyl in, attach to the takeup, and do the media adjust?
Yes - did it no change....its printing really well then it just stops to pop up some white lines and more it prints the worse i do a clean and it's the same....im wondering about dampers? im not familiar with this machine at all though nozzle tests all but once were perfect....i just don't want to have to constantly do cleans and its on all passes so it leads me to believe its got to be something simple hopefully

not even sure how or where to grab the dampers...wensco doesn't have anything supply wise and no tech has reached me back

SameDay Signs

I've determined it has to be the dampers ... just printed a 4x3 solid harley orange back with black letters and had banding halfway cleaned it and went away but just reprinted it and came out flawless...theres gotta be something with it being clogged or bad? any ideas on that possibly? i know mimakis were easy to swap but i don't believe its like this

a77

Sounds like you're sure you know what it is. Does your RIP allow you to print colour bars on the side? That might be useful to see which colour is having the problem.
The first image looks like feed calibration.
You say " up to 6 pass". That's our go to, except for banners.
Have you tried 8pass like ewded suggested to get you by?

SameDay Signs

Sounds like you're sure you know what it is. Does your RIP allow you to print colour bars on the side? That might be useful to see which colour is having the problem.
The first image looks like feed calibration.
You say " up to 6 pass". That's our go to, except for banners.
Have you tried 8pass like ewded suggested to get you by?
yes on most passes it all does this i just dont understand its like a color drop out across the board no single color more then others just notice it more on greens blues and such because the darkness of color....its odd i can run in uni direction fine but obviosuly that shouldn't have to be how its ran i mean we do 4 pass banner 6 pass and 8 pass vinyl...idk just thought i wouldnt be getting the banding i am with such a nice machine thats ran so flawless the first couple months

a77

It doesn't look like a "color drop out across the board". Looks like once it gets up to temperature, your feed calibration is off.
But then again, you've only shown one image.

SameDay Signs

It doesn't look like a "color drop out across the board". Looks like once it gets up to temperature, your feed calibration is off.
But then again, you've only shown one image.
Here is a couple more pics
Just not sure it’ll run great In uni but bi is hit or mis I’ll print the same file one perfect one not and it’s just random am completely at a loss and worried I’m gonna mess up a huge print or aomething

Attachments

• 5035F114-8228-457A-8DA7-1A7C6E143109.jpeg
    5035F114-8228-457A-8DA7-1A7C6E143109.jpeg
    892.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 909B90A4-0E72-4521-A2EB-D47E3144BD56.jpeg
    909B90A4-0E72-4521-A2EB-D47E3144BD56.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 302

a77

Could be some nozzles aren't firing. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. The orange print does look like you are losing nozzles.
It's true that you'll sometimes have a perfect nozzle test and then a nozzle can drop out when printing.

Not really related to the problem you're having with banding, but the printing looks real blotchy/grainy on that material, I would say improper profile with too much ink.

SameDay Signs

Could be some nozzles aren't firing. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. The orange print does look like you are losing nozzles.
It's true that you'll sometimes have a perfect nozzle test and then a nozzle can drop out when printing.

Not really related to the problem you're having with banding, but the printing looks real blotchy/grainy on that material, I would say improper profile with too much ink.
I’m gonna give a few profiles a try I appreciate the I put