• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Surecolor stopped connecting to computer!!

ljwhyte

Can anyone please help me before I pull out all of my hair! I have a large format Epson printer which was working fine, not used it for 7 days and now it won't connect to the computer! I have tried to delete and redownload the driver but it wont let me do this as it cannot find the port! I have tried to manually add port still cant find it. I have checked all the wires as I have another 2 large formats so wires ok. I have had the cover off the back of the printer and I cannot see any damage to the port connection. I have tried connecting via wifi, no joy. What could have happened? Any help would be much appreciated. tia

netsol

print or display a network status report & verify the current ip address of the printer..
from your pc, download advanced ip scanner and allow a scan, this will show all devices on your network

if you understand network subnetting, the fist 9 digits need to be the same

IE:192.168.1.xxx

if they are the same, open a command prompt and try to ping the printer, (your pc may not be "discoverable" anymore, microsoft loves to make settings changes along with your windows updates)

if not the same, post your results here

ljwhyte

print or display a network status report & verify the current ip address of the printer..
from your pc, download advanced ip scanner and allow a scan, this will show all devices on your network

if you understand network subnetting, the fist 9 digits need to be the same

IE:192.168.1.xxx

if they are the same, open a command prompt and try to ping the printer, (your pc may not be "discoverable" anymore, microsoft loves to make settings changes along with your windows updates)

if not the same, post your results here
The printer is connected via cable not wifi will it pick it up still?

netsol

yes, of course.
i will try to watch this during the day, to see if results give us any ideas
i own a computer networking company
i have been troubleshooting this sort of thing for ovr 30 years
this should be very simple

netsol

sometimes i miss the obvious point.
when you say "connected with cable" do you mean an ethernet (8 conductor, like a phone cord but larger) or do you mean a usb?

netsol

usb printer cable
sorry, WE ALL JUST ASSUMED ethernet

so, take a flash drive ($6 at walmart in electronics/camera dept) and plug into a usb port to be sure it is good
THE FIRST TIME you plug a printer into a usb port, it sets up printing support & adds a device in device manager
if you plug in to all ports YOU MAY HAVE "POISONED" THE PORT
go to device manager and expand the tree
go to usb ports and you will see usb devices listed with ports at bottom of the device list
right click and delete any that say composite device

now plug the printer into the port you just tested with the flash drive
3 possibilities
(1) it works perfectly
(2) it does nothing (could be bad port, or bad printer connector, swap usb cable with a known good one)
(3) computer says UNRECOGNIZABLE DEVICE (ONCE AGAIN, try a different cable)

if still no good, download "usb oblivion" if thethis clears the usb device database & will detect EVERYTHING including mouse and keyboard

if the usb port on printer is bad (none of the above fixed you up) we can discuss how to get your usb interface repaired on the printer

BEFORE we try to repair your board, we will plug into SOMEONE'S laptop & double check our work

let me know

ljwhyte

Ok tried all of that it’s definitely the printer that’s at fault it’s not even showing up in device manager when it’s plugged into a usb that we know is working

netsol

take a small flashlight and look INTO the usb connector, on the off chance that one of the 4 pins is bent. (we have seen it!)

is there a second connector of any type, network? firewire? it would probably be $1500 cheaper to reconfigure , instead of replacing the system board.

i will download a service manual and see what bright ideas i have

we have "friends" in the business who repair roland/mimaki/mutoh, and some hp

let me look at a couple of the sites that specialize in epson (mostly aqueous, but, it's all the same)

inlketmall people would be a great place to start looking

in the meantime KEEP THAT HEAD WET. if it still does a sucessful nozzle check, be sure to do one EVERY DAY

netsol

what is the model of your epson, it doesn't seem to be in the post
(a picture of the connectors on the back wouldn't hurt)