• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Equipment Complaint

obewanz

Well, I've debated about making this post, but after our company has exhausted all available options (except legal action) to resolve the issues, I feel it is important to let others who are thinking about getting into garment printing have a heads up.

What I'm talking about specifically an inkjet transfer printing system. The company I work for is a new startup and early on, in an effort to keep initial costs down, opted at the convincing of a sales rep at bestblanks.com, to purchase an inkjet transfer system which used the Armur Ink and Pro Flo system on an Epson 1400 printer. To make a long story short, the results were dismal. Not only did the equipment not perform as stated (colored shirts were presented as a requirement and our company was told that the equipment would do them) the company will not take back the equipment or even give an exchange credit - ALL SALES FINAL!

If you are even remotely interested in starting in the garment printing business for anything beyond setting up a kiosk in the mall with a camera and putting family and pet pictures on WHITE t-shirts - stick with a T-Jet or some other DTG equipment. Even though these units are considerably more expensive than the inkjet solution sold by bestblanks.com, you will not be able to do anything other than WHITE or LIGHT GREY shirts with the bestblanks.com equipment. (Though we couldn't get anything other than white to work without a permanent outline on the garment from the transfer paper.) (Oh yeah, we were told that would just wash out :( )

Since the company that we purchased from stated that with our industry experience we should have known better, it seems that we need to get the word out so that everyone truly is enlightened that the common inkjet transfer technology really is no further today than it was maybe 5 years ago regarding it's ability to print on colored garments.

In summary the recommendation is that if you are serious about garment printing, save your money until you can afford a DTG and don't mess around with any of the other digital technologies.

R08

Thank you for sharing.

But I'm pretty sure most would know that on this forum.

You do have to take some of the blame for not doing your homework, though.

Sorry about your luck

obewanz

You're probably right SignRite, maybe that should be another lesson... Do your OWN research and don't rely on ANYTHING the company has to say about their product. (Seems that things shouldn't be misrepresented though :( )

The question may have been asked here, but I don't ever remember seeing it. It should have been asked here before the purchase was made, but I think it wasn't because a number of folks seemed to be trying to talk the owner out of starting the business at all. Which is probably why it wasn't researched further here.

Anyway, know anybody who has a mall kiosk and looking for another transfer printer?

R08

We always seem to learn by our mistakes but it's so much easier to learn by someone else's mistakes.

Good luck with your new equipment.:thumb:

curlyt

Then again...
there's the self-weeding transfer paper from china...so transfer technology is a little ahead of what it was five years ago.

I have used Iron-All with great results as well...there is more than one type of transfer paper and all of them have different results. But like sublimation the problem in that industry is the fact that dark colors are restricted. You can get ok results but nothing like the no hand of sublimation.

Live and learn I guess..though that is right..it seems you are the victim of a different plight.

;o)
Carl

ahollow

I've used the 2-part self-weeding papers from Coastal Business, and they work great on light color shirts. It does take some practice getting the temp and timing down, but I've done hundreds of shirts and caps for events.

The paper is called ImageClip.

300mphGraphics

Always, always get actual samples off any machine you desire to purchase. Make sure to get the samples on as many substrates and combinations as possible.

Mike_Koval

for anyone out there interested in seeing some t-shirt transfer created with the VersaCAMM I would be glad to get applied samples out to those interested. Lights and darks of any fabric, from standard cottons to nylons and performance wear.

K Chez

I'll take it a step further...

Why half ass it with DTG-get a press and learn how to print it the proper way if you want to do shirts. Or build a relationship with a screen printing shop. DTG is good for the "I only want two 8 color shirts" jobs in my book. I can't see the profitability in going that route because the equipment is so expensive. If your looking to do volume printing, even more so.
Kinda the same principle as using One Shot vs. being a vinyl jockey. Traditional vs. corner cutting IMO.

JPDTees

I'll take it a step further...

Why half ass it with DTG-get a press and learn how to print it the proper way if you want to do shirts. Or build a relationship with a screen printing shop. DTG is good for the "I only want two 8 color shirts" jobs in my book. I can't see the profitability in going that route because the equipment is so expensive.

How much for you to do 30-40 shirts, 6 colour "pocket" front, 6 colour 12" back on white Hanes Authentic tees? Please include set-up charges and film charges. Oh, could you also let me know the approximate time it would take you to print these shirts (ie: 3 hours to burn screens, set-up, tear-down, clean)?

Thanks!

Eric :cool:

Last edited:

mystysue

for anyone out there interested in seeing some t-shirt transfer created with the VersaCAMM I would be glad to get applied samples out to those interested. Lights and darks of any fabric, from standard cottons to nylons and performance wear.
This is a great offer Mike.. I know I had Josh send me some samples I love it.. My customers love it.. and the product comes out really nice.. the clear is my favorite..
My only wish is that You guys would come out with an opaque that is matt finish.

andy

Print on transfer paper has been around for ages- and always has been a pretty cr@ppy. You have always only been able to do White or Light shirts and unless you have a printer that lays down White ink I can't see how you could ever do dark shirts.

This is a cheap alternative to proper direct to garment printers and real screen print- sadly you have learned the hard way why this is.

There could be a case that the supplier didn't sell you the right gear same as you might be guilty of expecting way too much from what is a pretty cheap, low tech system.

Hwy

Imprintable's Solution Opaque and Clear material are truly revolutionary. The combination of Roland's VersaCamm series of eco-solvent cutter printer and Solution's line of paper have raised the bar for heat press garment decoration.

I just wish Imprintable would do a better job of packaging shipments. I received some damaged material due to sloppy packing.

michaelsacco

worst blanks

Oh yeah,Got laid off,spent my last available funds with best blanks to open a ts thirt business. Worst decision of my life[except wife#1]. Bought a package.Hix press-knob fell off 1 month].2Epson wf30-toys.Proflo-problems.Hanes Sublimation software-not compatible with my NEW computer. Made me deal with software co. Made me work with Hix {biggest jerks ever}. Asked me to return my wf30 to Epson. Only when I threatened to get legal did I get any help. I though this only happened to me,but im not alone.

mark galoob

this is a tough lesson for you partner...hopefully it wont cost you too much...

if you purchased it with an amx card you could call amx and file a complaint with them and get amx to fight it for you...they will do a "charge back" and you will get money back onto your card untill amx does an investigation. if they deem in your favor, you win, and will get your money back.

i have done this once and won with an 18k konica minolta printer that did not do what sales guy said it would do...

now i get everything in writing and signed spec sheets...

mark galoob

WildWestDesigns

You know, I've done regular heat transfer and sublimation and I've gotten very good results and have had a lot of happy customers, however, different papers and different inks produce different results.

The one limiting factor is the dark colored shirts and I do not like how heat transfer handles dark colors. I'm much more of a fan of sublimation, particularly when doing other items(license plates, hitch covers, coasters(in fact, I just did some hardboard coasters for a high school reunion deal going on this weekend) etc).

I have dealt with best blanks in the past and I haven't had any problems(I guess I should be knocking on wood), but it does happen.

Also be aware that not all DTG printers can do both light and dark colors.

binki

i hate inkjet transfers. they just are not up to snuff.

screen printing or vinyl for apparel is better. you can also do dtg printing but imo not worth the time if you want to learn screen printing.

embroidery for a premium product if you want my opin.

the short answer is 'go heavy or go home'

WildWestDesigns

vinyl for apparel is better.

Yes and no. I have done a couple of shirts with vinyl and while I do like how they turned out, I'm always afraid of snagging it on something. Statistically it might not happen and probably won't, but for some reason that is always a fear of mine.

Only other thing is, some fonts I just hate having to weed. Ironically, they are also the fonts like I like the most. Mesquite being my favorite.

embroidery for a premium product if you want my opin.

I do like how embroidery looks, however, depending on the pattern and even on the person(some people scratch like crazy having to deal with embroidery on their shirt), embroidery can be too much for the shirt.

I agree with some things, but there is a time and place for it all. Not just due to looks that each one might give, but also due to client's budget constraints as well.