• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Equipment Redundancy - Bad idea to rely on one printer?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I wish, I'm not sure there is a way to buy the parts. I'll check but doubt it. I have a short parts list of consumables but other than that I'm not sure if canon would sell any other parts
That would not surprise me. Being able to self repair is going to be #1 on my list if we ever replace our printer. Glad you got it fixed

netsol

worn out ribbon cables? wow!
The printer is fixed finally, 13 days down for .........................., BIG REVEAL: worn out printhead ribbon cables.

The printhead ribbon cables were identified as a possible issue on day 1 but were only replaced after everything else in the chain was replaced, some parts were replaced more than once. (I though the cables were changed out earlier).

Have to say that this has not been our experience, so far if we needed a tech they've been out pretty quickly whether for the Arizonas or the Colorado, maybe being in the North East s a plus for that in our case? As to calling customer support, I usually just opt for a call back and have gotten them within an hour. Our second Colorado will drop Monday. Hopefully this will be our continued experience.
i imagine it is a matter of WHERE you are, and obviously a matter of timing
if more machines happen to be down at the moment, response time suffers

2 weeks is unforgivable however

axelmk

Victor, I hope that by now your Colorado is back up printing away.
We installed a Colorado M5 a few months back. if you ever need backup again, we are not too far from you in Houston.
We are not a wholesaler, but we will be happy to help out if need be, you never know when we will need backup as well.

victor bogdanov

Victor, I hope that by now your Colorado is back up printing away.
We installed a Colorado M5 a few months back. if you ever need backup again, we are not too far from you in Houston.
We are not a wholesaler, but we will be happy to help out if need be, you never know when we will need backup as well.
Thanks I'll keep you in mind

victor bogdanov

Not the most exciting unplanned purchase but had to be done

20231127_120111.jpg

20231127_141244.jpg

ikarasu

Have fun throwing it together!

Definately a downgrade from the canon... But hey, redundancy is good... Let me know how it compares to the canon scratch ability wise.

johnnysigns

Wow, you had to buy another machine! Does Canon know you bought the Epson? Sounds to me like you deserve a pretty big concession from them for two weeks of down time. We've got a 5 month old HP R2000 and it's been down 5 times since it was installed. I don't know how many support tickets I've put in for this thing, but it's at least twice as many. Generally we're happy with the printer when it works, but when it's down it's been the worst timing with my best clients. I have a mountain of spare parts they've sent. There's a lot you can do and diagnose yourself on this platform, but 5 times we couldn't print without tech intervention. From an outside perspective I guess I'd just say you're fortunate that you could quickly buy the Epson to have greater redundancy.

victor bogdanov

I also found a couple of used low mileage Colorado 1650 and a 1630 at a very good price, cheaper than the epson but the service contracts on the used machines would likely make it far more expensive in the long run.

victor bogdanov

Sounds to me like you deserve a pretty big concession from them for two weeks of down time.
i read through the entire contract and it says Canon is not responsible for any negatives due to down time ect, no mention of how fast or slow repairs should be. Gotta keep that in mind, no guaranteed uptime/response time and Canon is not responsible for anything due to the downtime

johnnysigns

Yeap, that's pretty typical, but I would still complain like crazy. Two weeks down for an easy fix is above and beyond what I'd think is a reasonable time frame. The fact that you bought an additional printer to compensate is understandable, but wild as well. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so I'd still complain, complain, complain and see if they can do something for you. Maybe you can ask for an extension for the warranty/service contract. You've got nothing to lose by asking. I appreciate you sharing this on here as well.

victor bogdanov

Yeap, that's pretty typical, but I would still complain like crazy. Two weeks down for an easy fix is above and beyond what I'd think is a reasonable time frame. The fact that you bought an additional printer to compensate is understandable, but wild as well. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so I'd still complain, complain, complain and see if they can do something for you. Maybe you can ask for an extension for the warranty/service contract. You've got nothing to lose by asking. I appreciate you sharing this on here as well.
I though I was done buying printers for a while so that was very unexpected.

One thing that stuck with me from when I was getting trained on the printer is when we were discussing how Canon can remote access the printer to diagnose problems, change settings etc and the trainer made a joke about cranking ink waste up and down.

Brian Tickenoff

Service could be way better, tech has been showing up 4 pm getting ready to clock out 5 30pm.

There are things canon could've done to get this fixed faster starting with tech coming at 8am instead of 4pm ready to clock out and not enough time to get parts shipped out that same day.
That's pretty bad. Being "hard down" should put you at the top of the priority list. I know when it happens to one of my Durst's or HP's and I can't get a quick response from service, I'm on the phone to the sales rep.

victor bogdanov

That's pretty bad. Being "hard down" should put you at the top of the priority list. I know when it happens to one of my Durst's or HP's and I can't get a quick response from service, I'm on the phone to the sales rep.
I found out Canon has 2 tech teams, one that handles the big machines and Arizona flatbeds and another team that handles the copies etc + Colorado. (at least here in Houston)

The copiers + colorado team is more worried about keeping copiers at fedex office/kinkos running than the Colorados, they are more experienced in the sheet fed copiers than the Colorado.

Big mistake on Canons part for not putting the colorado services together with the Arizona and other big machine team

Last edited: