• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exacto Blades Not Sharp Anymore

Anyone else notice the past couple of years Exacto Brand #11 blades are terrible?

• yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • no

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Imagine, I got these and no batteries came with it.

STA065011.JPG

Nor this........​

Imageresizer.ashx

DerbyCitySignGuy

I guess I don't get the joke. I'm not sure what hand tools not having batteries has to do with screws that shipped before they were thread cut or X-Acto blades that were shipped without being sharpened.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's Okay, you don't hafta understand everything. Something I guess are just over some peoples' head, huh ?? There's no joke, involved. :confused:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's Okay, you don't hafta understand everything. Something I guess are just over some peoples' head, huh ?? There's no joke, involved. :confused:

I got it but it wasn't funny. I did like your "So tell me how you really feel" post last week so occasionally ya got one.

StreamlineDesign

Anyone else notice the past couple of years Exacto Brand #11 blades do not stay sharp and the tips break easier? me to! Have tried supposedly different grades from Exacto and they are all equally terrible.

In my search for a good quality #11 have purchased Arteza Brand blades and they are great...stay sharp for days at a time (just like Exacto Brand used to twenty years ago) and the tips do not immediately break off into the cutting mat.

I agree with you 100%! I have been saying the same thing for a while - that they don't make them like they used to. They don't last as long, and they cost a lot more.
It used to be a #11 would last many weeks (up to a month) for weeding and cutting. Now, we're lucky if they make it 4-5 days.
Also, like others have mentioned, we have received boxes where all the tips were bent over.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did ya ever stop to think, if you'd stop dropping the box.... or someone before you, that maybe, just maybe they wouldn't be bent ?? They're not wrapped all that good to guard against mishandling of merchandise.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I will say they're plenty sharp enough to cut your fingers still. I was working late at a hospital helping install some signs and joking about how I always manage to cut myself and boom. At least I was already at the hospital. Haha!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Tips have always broke easy if you press a certin way. They also sell zinc (I think) coated blades that stay sharp waaaayyyyy longer, but I actually prefer them to dull a bit because I can move faster with it slightly dull.