• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exporting from Illy CS3 into Omega

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
Does anyone else have problems with exporting from Illustrator into Omega?

The letters are getting all choppy for no reason....they are perfect in illustrator, but when I export into Omega and open up the words are all choppy....hmmm

Anyone seen this before....have a solution?

Thanks
onlyjames@hotmail.com

Ken Sankey

File transfer

We run CS2 and Omega 2.6. You could try to save your Illy file down to a lower version, and open or import into omega. I've had problems going from Omega to Illy with lines going bad, not all the time but enough that I do as you had said and export the file. Hope that works

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What version of Omega? The import filters in Omega version 3 are much better than previous versions.

When you save your Illustrator file, are there any strokes in the job? Have you converted your text to outlines? Either of these things could cause you problems. What happens if you save the Illustrator file as a version 8?

I am working with CS4 and the new Omega 3.0... this evening I am trying to figure out what works best for importing my motocross designs from Illy to Omega... It appears the only way to have all my fills and what not transition correctly into Omega is to save it as a pdf from Illy. My only problem now is that Omega reads the "white" blank fill as CMYK since it needs to be a "clear" fill in Omega for it to just use the vinyl color. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in Illy to fix this... Perhaps use no fill instead of the white...

I'm off to try that now...

iSign

I am working with CS4 and the new Omega 3.0... this evening I am trying to figure out what works best for importing my motocross designs from Illy to Omega... It appears the only way to have all my fills and what not transition correctly into Omega is to save it as a pdf from Illy. My only problem now is that Omega reads the "white" blank fill as CMYK since it needs to be a "clear" fill in Omega for it to just use the vinyl color. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in Illy to fix this... Perhaps use no fill instead of the white...

I'm off to try that now...

what does "transition correctly" even mean?
are you intending to do spot printing, or cmyk?
I would save as .ai ver 8, and import into Omega 2.6 (using the top, or highest .ai import filter choice) and then for spot printing, I always need to re-assign my colors anyway, so I select by color, at which time any whites can be selected & assigned "clear", while all the other colors are also selected in groups & assigned the appropriate spot color.

If I want to print CMYK, I'll just save an .ai file (ver, 8 again) for my cut line & export a .tif file for my print. Then it won't try to use any white foil for the clear areas.

iSign

Does anyone else have problems with exporting from Illustrator into Omega?

nope... 8 years now, going from Illy 8, through 9, 10, CS1,2,3 & CS4... I always get crisp clean lines... & I always convert text to outline & save as .ai files to import with the top import choice!

Tony Teveris

One should have very good file import luck if you are using the Adobe Ger Spot color swatches from the Omega DVD(or older CD) and at least Omega 2.51 and up.

Design within Ill using the Gerber Spot swatches and export as PDF (ai may also work), Also in the Gerber swatch palette are two special colors, one call Gerber Clear which represents Gerber's Clear Fill / Stroke and the other is Contour Cut which can be assigned as a stroke color.

A special not on "fills". In Ill you can have "mixed" fills using different colors, spots, with cmyk or rgb but in the Gerber world you can only have a gradient fill with one type or the other. The import filter will convert a fill to cmyk (process) if any Ill fill is mixed.

The PDF/AI/EPS import filter also supports the "overprint" setting within Ill and foil density. There are also some gradient situations in Ill that can not be imported directly into Omega so the import filter create and image with a clipping path.

Hope this helps

I've found that with my motocross design I created a fill that has 3 differnet spot colors in an argoyle pattern... 2 different blues and red... I have the fill clipped to the template for thre correct shape but I realize it is much larger than what is clipped... No problem, when I save as a pdf it eliminates this problem...however, for some reason it appears to be creating some CMYK sections when I import into Omega even though I didn't design anything within illy that does not have a spot color... I need to investigate further to figure out exactly what is being converted to CMYK... One issue appeared to be a CutContour spot outline from Illy was converting over to a grey CMYK color...

Any ideas as to what might be occuring?

I know it's hard to grasp without seeing it, perhaps I'll try to save a number plate so you can see just what the fill is made up of. I've converted it to fills and outlines but still can't get rid of the CMYK... I want to print spot only.

Perhaps using that "clear" fill in place of the CMYK white will solve my troubles... I had assumed that the CMYK "white" just became a clear value like Flexi but it appears Composer is smarter than that using the Clear option... Learning curve but it makes perfect sense :)

petepaz

i have trouble sometimes with cs3 files so i save them to a lower version but i also have better luck when i import as a pdf file