• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior LED lights, do they need to be "inclosed"?

Andy D

My customer wants plate aluminum, cut to shape, backlit, mounted outside.
I know code is different everywhere, but generally speaking, can LED lights be used if
they will be exposed to the weather? If not, is there a "self enclosed" type of LED light system
that can be used?

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
please research IP ratings. you need an ip67 light if you are in a moist climate. power supplies must always be contained

unclebun

I went through this with a customer. They had seen something on Pinterest with house numbers, and then there is an old guy near here doing steel ones with a torch, and using the light ropes people decorate their houses with for lighting (complete with extension cords for the power on the ones I've seen). However, there is no professional LED sign lighting designed to be used this way. It has to be enclosed. You can do neon this way, or some other lamp fixture designed to be used outdoors, but I was not able to find any LED solution.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Check the strip joints and see what they use. They always have LED stage lighting and there is a ton of moisture flying around in there (or so I have been told).