• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

F Performance on Summa f1612

Magnitudo

Hello!

I Am thinking of upgrading my summa to f - performance.
Does anyone have it? What are your opinions.
Is the upgrade worth it?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Ours came with it, and we're happy with the speed.

At one point there were concerns about F-performance pushing the machine too hard and frying the boards, so we disabled it. Man was it slow!! We've since turned it back on and no issues yet. If you're used to the current speed, the extra 40% will blow you away.

That being said, I don't know if it's worth it because I don't know what they charge for it. I would also get in writing that if the upgrade results in frying your board that they will cover the replacement.

Really depends how much you run your machine - how often do you wish it was running faster? I find it's more of a question of keeping up with it and collecting whatever it's cutting out, unless you're through-cutting decals and they're just falling in the basket.

Magnitudo

Thanks for reply!

I do a lot of intricate kiss cutting when I cut sometimes 50 meters of material so it would be amazing to speed this up.

My machine runs 10hours a day non stop. Cutting, routing, kiss cutting that's why I Am bit worried about frying my motherboard.
Where did your concerns came from? Did machine acted weird or started to struggle?
It's 15000 pounds for upgrade and I don't want to spend that much money just to turn it off for the safety of the machine...

CanuckSigns

Thanks for reply!

I do a lot of intricate kiss cutting when I cut sometimes 50 meters of material so it would be amazing to speed this up.

My machine runs 10hours a day non stop. Cutting, routing, kiss cutting that's why I Am bit worried about frying my motherboard.
Where did your concerns came from? Did machine acted weird or started to struggle?
It's 15000 pounds for upgrade and I don't want to spend that much money just to turn it off for the safety of the machine...
did you say 15 thousand pounds?!?! no way in hell it's worth that much! it came free on our machine.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Some people who do a ton of decals say they would never go back. It does speed up the little movements quit a lot.

Hotspur

F Performance has no issues with hardware failures - it’s a misnomer that came from a couple of unconnected faults some time ago that got misunderstood.
I have put hundreds of these machines into the market and every one has gone in with F Performance switched on by default since launch - we don’t even bother mentioning it to new users now the marketing push has died down. I bet most don’t even know what it is. Zero board failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
F Performance has no issues with hardware failures - it’s a misnomer that came from a couple of unconnected faults some time ago that got misunderstood.
I have put hundreds of these machines into the market and every one has gone in with F Performance switched on by default since launch - we don’t even bother mentioning it to new users now the marketing push has died down. I bet most don’t even know what it is. Zero board failures.

Consider yourself lucky. F Performance does indeed stress the Si L6203 DMOS Chips, they overheat and POP!
I don't know if it's overvolting them or if the lack of heat dissipation is a factor.

Our tech has confirmed it with multiple replacement boards (luckily, ours has not gone out yet.)

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Sure about that? Pretty sure there are a couple of members here that would tend to disagree with you.

You may not have personally encountered any issues but I would have to say "zero board failures" is incorrect.

Hotspur

Sure about that? Pretty sure there are a couple of members here that would tend to disagree with you.

You may not have personally encountered any issues but I would have to say "zero board failures" is incorrect.

Not sure how I can quote from anything other than personal experience? It just doesn’t happen due to F Performance here - if it did I would have seen it by now we’ve shipped three figures of these cutters. Sure we get the occasional board failure but never due to F Performance. If there’s only a couple of people with issues on here it’s likely to have been wrongly ascribed or sheer bad luck. People should not be put off this upgrade it isn’t a threat to their machines it’s been out for years we would have seen solid evidence by now. Sorry - just my own experience.

CanuckSigns

Not sure how I can quote from anything other than personal experience? It just doesn’t happen due to F Performance here - if it did I would have seen it by now we’ve shipped three figures of these cutters. Sure we get the occasional board failure but never due to F Performance. If there’s only a couple of people with issues on here it’s likely to have been wrongly ascribed or sheer bad luck. People should not be put off this upgrade it isn’t a threat to their machines it’s been out for years we would have seen solid evidence by now. Sorry - just my own experience.

Here's a copy paste reply directly from summa tech support:

Thank you for reaching out regarding your new Summa F1612 and Thank you for your business and confidence in Summa.

We are currently temporarily recommending de-activating F-performance. We have had a recent uptick in carriage board failures and although it is not conclusive that F-performance is the root cause, it is a variable that we can "turn off" to reduce risk.

Summa is actively in the process of correcting this issue and will send a channel wide dealer bulletin with the update very soon.
In the mean time please correspond with your dealer for any questions or updates.