• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

F1612 communication issue

CanuckSigns

Our F1612 is about 6 months old and we've been having issues with the machine giving us an error of "device read failure" in the middle of cutting some jobs (but not all) what happens is the machine finishes cutting its segment, advances the media then just freezes and does not continue on to read the next set of marks.

It happens more often on longer jobs. Summa wants the tech to come out and diagnose the issue, however its so intermittent that I think its a waste of time for both of us. Has anyone had this issue before? Anything I can have our tech look at before we waste too much time? Our tech is pretty new to the machine and is unfortunately learning on the job.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
6 months so still warranty, I would let them handle it.
Not a common issue tho, haven't heard about it. On some machines the USB hub has been giving a really hard time or USB cable as well.
You are on the newest firmware and go produce right?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I finally had this happen to me last week - exactly like you described. Not even that long of a job, but was in 2 segments.

Luckily it was just cutting straight stripes so I was able to hand cut what it decided not to cut, but still pissed me off!!

How many times has it happened so far for you guys? Using different tools/modules or always the same one? I wonder if it wiggles something loose when it advances the media.

Did you re-activate your F performance and upgrade to GoProduce 2.0? (we did both)

Just curious if there is any pattern there. It's weird that it would start happening for both of us within a few weeks....after never having an issue before.

I've got a roll of floor decals to cut today, that thing better behave.

aparat

Same here, there is no solution. Hapens once a day here. I suspect a bad contact, specialy in the carriage/head unit, hapens mostly on the start of fast movement.. we allso had some problems with the stop buttons, the cables were not enoug tightened to the pcb board. After tightening the screws problem gone.. so i think there are problems with loose contacts.. it would allso help if summa would make the the software so, that it does not ceash the same moment the machine looses contact..
Changing the usb hub does not help, have tried

CanuckSigns

I finally had this happen to me last week - exactly like you described. Not even that long of a job, but was in 2 segments.

Luckily it was just cutting straight stripes so I was able to hand cut what it decided not to cut, but still pissed me off!!

How many times has it happened so far for you guys? Using different tools/modules or always the same one? I wonder if it wiggles something loose when it advances the media.

Did you re-activate your F performance and upgrade to GoProduce 2.0? (we did both)

Just curious if there is any pattern there. It's weird that it would start happening for both of us within a few weeks....after never having an issue before.

I've got a roll of floor decals to cut today, that thing better behave.

Hey Pat:

it's happened about 5 or 6 times in the last month, it's only ever happened with kiss and through cutting decals so it's the same tools being used.

We upgraded GoProduce to 2.0, upgraded firmware and Axis Control are all current, we still have F-Performance disabled.

The tech from Grimco just left, he took the covers off, checked the connections on everything, said he didn't notice anything being loose.

Very frustrating to say the least!

CanuckSigns

Just got off the phone with my Grimco Tech, he spoke to Summa and they advised him to swap out the USB Hub, but as aparat said he already did that with no joy.

I'm starting to get fed up with summa on this one, they seem to want to just swap parts out one at a time until magically something changes.

aparat

Change the hub, it might help in your case.. you can use any hub to try, is a 10$ thing, might help if your usb problem is in that place...

Just got off the phone with my Grimco Tech, he spoke to Summa and they advised him to swap out the USB Hub, but as aparat said he already did that with no joy.

I'm starting to get fed up with summa on this one, they seem to want to just swap parts out one at a time until magically something changes.

CanuckSigns

Just to give an update to this, Our tech came out about a month ago and changed out the USB hub, that seemed to help, but today it happened again in the middle of a job of 100 floor decals. It's extremely intermittent, it's almost like there is a bit of a delay from when go produce tells the cutter to turn on the camera and look for the marks, and when it happens and this is causing the software to give up and error out.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I have seen issues in the past if there is a USB extension being used. Not sure if you are using a USB extension but if you are try it without it. Does the Videology Viewer ever have any issues viewing the camera feedback?

CanuckSigns

I have seen issues in the past if there is a USB extension being used. Not sure if you are using a USB extension but if you are try it without it. Does the Videology Viewer ever have any issues viewing the camera feedback?

We are not using the USB extension cable. I've never used the Videology Viewer, but I've had no issues with the camera acting up

HulkSmash

I've fought Summa on this for 2 years. After 112 emails and 15 months, they sent someone out. It didn't solve my issue. They essentially told me they weren't helping me anymore.

They said

"The unit is 100% working without error caused by the machine. The problem is external and environmental, we are sure of this."

When i explained how i wasn't accepting this - they then sent this.

"Effective 2/12/2021, support for your company’s machine through Summa or AirMark will be discontinued."

Just want everyone to know - they will blame you and then bow out after not being able to fix it.

With that said Airmark has reached out, but i decided to just sell the machine, And never support or buy summa again.

netsol

Canucksigns,
if you don't mind, give this a try.
go to device manager > usb root hubs > power management
clear the check mark for "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"
upload_2021-4-15_4-6-2.png

microsoft has caused all sorts of problems with our networking with this setting & it has no business even existing in the usb connectivity. go down the list of root hubs & clear all the check boxes.

the geniuses at microsoft don't seem to know how to write code to recognize when a device is in use AND SHOULD NOT BE TURNED OFF

CanuckSigns

Canucksigns,
clear the check mark for "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"
View attachment 153058

microsoft has caused all sorts of problems with our networking with this setting & it has no business even existing in the usb connectivity. go down the list of root hubs & clear all the check boxes.

the geniuses at microsoft don't seem to know how to write code to recognize when a device is in use AND SHOULD NOT BE TURNED OFF

I checked and these were already set to not power down

HulkSmash

Canucksigns,
View attachment 153058

this is not the issue. The machine is faulty, and they obviously don't know how to fix it. They told me the problem was isolated with me, and they didn't see it anywhere else. Obviously that was a lie. (not surprising) I think the most frustrating part with this company is the wait they make you go through, and then the battles they put you through to take the blame off them. Then when you blow a gasket and lose all patience you are "Hard to work with" This is my experience with summa directly. Every time something broke it was my fault and i had to spend hours proving it was not my fault.. I can tell you right now they do not go by "The customer is always right" motto.. thank god i was always right, though.