• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fall out from Japan?

round man

Mikey-Oh,... most any reputable search engine will bring up a link to a certain topic if it is possibly an internet hoax as this one was,...I have been doing studies on internet research as of late at tech school and out of habit I check the credibility of links when possible. This is a big issue at schools these days as anyone can publish stuff to the web and as to whether or not they are credible sources has become a big factor in my own and many students' research in the past several years.
In this particular case, I just did a search on "Japanese fallout map" on Google.

Rojo

Always check sources on this kind of info. The anti-nuc environmental nazis are licking there chops over this situation.

WrapperX

Lets not forget that a nuclear powerplant meltdown is NOT the same as a detonated nuclear explosion say from a bomb or missle.

Meltdown will for certain posion the surrounding areas. A detonation will have far greater reaches of destruction.

DrSteveBrule

Lets not forget that a nuclear powerplant meltdown is NOT the same as a detonated nuclear explosion say from a bomb or missle.

Meltdown will for certain posion the surrounding areas. A detonation will have far greater reaches of destruction.

+1

For relation, Chernobyl only has a 20 mi exclusion zone.

digitalwoodshop

The latest evening news had it as a non issue at this time....

I remember my first tour of a Nuc Sub in Norfolk when my Brother and I were on Active Duty there. A hometown friend was on the Nuc.

It was night and the lights were turned down as we got ready to climb down. They looked up and there eyes glowed.... Eye Drops and a Black Light... They said they had a little leak but no problem... A little Squid Humor....

As for the Ships over in Japan, they all have Salt Water Wash Down if they go through a Hot Cloud. I lived in Japan for 2 years 77-79 while on a Tin Can.

AL

USN Retired

Haakon

+1

For relation, Chernobyl only has a 20 mi exclusion zone.

Exclusion zone yes, but here is a animation of how far the fallout spread with the winds, almost all of europe and most of russia suffered from radiation spread in the hours and days after the accident. The animated gif represent a 16-day period after the accident in 3 hour steps.

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/print/index/n...ylder_20/tjernobyl_spredning_kan_beregnes.htm

Even places here in Norway that have elevated levels of radiation now, 25 years after the explosion in russia.

WrapperX

People need to stop panicing! The amount of atmostphere between the US Coast and Japan is 3000+ miles. And assuming toxic levels even enter the jet stream by the time it reaches the US it will be diluted to near non detectable levels. There was a guy on the radio this morning from the Nuclear Power safty commsion and he was saying the chances of getting any dangerous levels of Radiation were very slim. There would have to be a HUGE explosion - volcano like - that sent the radiation directly up into upper atmosphere. Then and only then could we expect even the possibility of dangerous levels reaching us. Furthermore - he explained that we get more deadly exposure to radiation while sun tanning on a daily basis and people aren't rushing out to buy the Iodine pills for that. It's typicall sheep like behavior spun by the media to "inform" the general public of one said possibility that has people freaking out. It's right up there with the Bird Flu scare from a year ago - they were pushing those stupid flu shots and vaccines for everyone to take cause it MAY kill you. The normal flu, in America, kills close to 10,000 people a year. Bird Flu killed, what, 3,000.

It's disgusting how easily frightened we as people can be.

CES020

I don't know if it's worthy of panic or not, but certainly things like this can, and do have long lasting effects.

Chernobyl is a long way away from the UK, but the release of caesium-137 into the atmosphere contaminated the grass that livestock eat, which means you couldn't eat the livestock.

Several days after the accident, a vast radioactive cloud drifted across parts of the UK, leaving a blanket of poisonous caesium-137 over England, Wales and the south and west of Scotland. In 1986 and 1987, restrictions were imposed on approximately 10,000 farms, of which 2,144 were in Scotland alone. Restrictions in June 1986 covered 5,100 farms in North Wales, about 120 in Northern Ireland and 1,670 in Cumbria in England.

Now, I have no idea if it's caesium-137 that's being released or not, but it clearly shows there CAN BE reason for alarm, 3000 miles away or not.

S

SignTech

Signmeup ............ yes still ....... and for around 20-80,000 thousand more years ... this Japan issue is more about loss of more beautiful earth then lives ....... IF things resolve to the Chernobyl level ........ Northern japan regions will be uninhabitable ........ unvisitable ........ so what's next? How much more of the earth?

Panic-able? Maybe not ........ disgusting? ........... absolutely! Feel free to read my FaceBook take on this mess ...........

Tim Aucoin

People need to stop panicing! The amount of atmostphere between the US Coast and Japan is 3000+ miles. And assuming toxic levels even enter the jet stream by the time it reaches the US it will be diluted to near non detectable levels. There was a guy on the radio this morning from the Nuclear Power safty commsion and he was saying the chances of getting any dangerous levels of Radiation were very slim. There would have to be a HUGE explosion - volcano like - that sent the radiation directly up into upper atmosphere. Then and only then could we expect even the possibility of dangerous levels reaching us. Furthermore - he explained that we get more deadly exposure to radiation while sun tanning on a daily basis and people aren't rushing out to buy the Iodine pills for that. It's typicall sheep like behavior spun by the media to "inform" the general public of one said possibility that has people freaking out. It's right up there with the Bird Flu scare from a year ago - they were pushing those stupid flu shots and vaccines for everyone to take cause it MAY kill you. The normal flu, in America, kills close to 10,000 people a year. Bird Flu killed, what, 3,000.

It's disgusting how easily frightened we as people can be.

Agreed! The meteorologists here are saying that there would have to be a series of AMAZING events happen if there were to even be a chance of any fallout hitting our shores. As stated above, a HUGE explosion (comparable to Hiroshima) would have to take place sending the plume into the upper atmosphere. Next, a specific type of trade wind would have to be blowing in just the right direction at just the right speed to carry the fallout well over 3000 miles without changing direction... etc., etc., etc., We have a better chance at winning the big lottery! So, stop worrying and take your iodine pills!!! :Big Laugh

CES020

The meteorologists here are saying that there would have to be a series of AMAZING events happen if there were to even be a chance of any fallout hitting our shores.

Would that be the same meteorologists that can't accurately tell me if it's going to rain this afternoon? :covereyes:

WrapperX

I don't know if it's worthy of panic or not, but certainly things like this can, and do have long lasting effects.

Chernobyl is a long way away from the UK, but the release of caesium-137 into the atmosphere contaminated the grass that livestock eat, which means you couldn't eat the livestock.

Several days after the accident, a vast radioactive cloud drifted across parts of the UK, leaving a blanket of poisonous caesium-137 over England, Wales and the south and west of Scotland. In 1986 and 1987, restrictions were imposed on approximately 10,000 farms, of which 2,144 were in Scotland alone. Restrictions in June 1986 covered 5,100 farms in North Wales, about 120 in Northern Ireland and 1,670 in Cumbria in England.

Now, I have no idea if it's caesium-137 that's being released or not, but it clearly shows there CAN BE reason for alarm, 3000 miles away or not.

The Islands of the United Kingdom and Ireland are +/- 1500 miles from Chernobyl - furthermore it's areas between are entirley land based. So the fall out will fall on much more useable space - ie: farms, towns, etc. The area's between US and Japan is water. Salt water at that - which is used to clean off radiation exposure. And, sure, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the possibility of exporse hitting the US. But that doesn't mean, if I lived on the west coast, that I'm stocking up on radiation blankets and Fall out masks, and hitching the first plane to the East Coast. All I'm saying is people need to think about the chances and listen to WHAT the experts are ACTUALLY saying and not the local news agencies scare tatics.

CES020

Radioactive alarms are being set off in the USA today at airports, where people coming from Japan are setting them off, along with their luggage. It's also finding it inside the cabin where people just flew. I'd be more concerned about that myself.

I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't panic. The media is saying to panic, the government is saying not to panic, and my guess is the right reaction is probably somewhere in the middle there.

I don't believe the media or the government from what I've heard so far. One "expert" says it's no problem, the next "expert" says it's a serious problem. The Surgeon General of the USA said it was a concern, then others in the government said it's not a concern.

I'm on the opposite coast, so you westies will clean up all the air for us. Thanks!

S

SignTech

CES .......... good position on this issue. One man I tend to listen too is this guy ... he's smart, level headed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZhUi1nhtE

On last nights Dateline, he said specifically it's end game .... those water buckets are worthless, I agree ............ from a professional standpoint.

My main concern is for loss of inhabitable land, albeit only a 30 radius miles ........ how much more land do we lose in the world?