• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FastSigns and Signs365 and Gemini

Stacey K

I like making signs
No matter where I order something from I mark it up a minimum of 30% - a few times it's less depending.

One bar owner in town drives me nuts. He calls me for a quote for plenty of stuff but always says, "I like to shop local and I want to give you first chance, can you beat VistaPrints price (or wherever) of XXX." I have yet to beat his online prices - why should I give him a deal just so he can shop local? I went in there for lunch 2 times to support local places and I have never been back because he won't order anything from me. He comes in asking me to donate for his various "charity events" he hosts. I never do. We make sure to stop in at local places, especially those that patronize me. All he would have to do is spend $45 on a banner with me and we would in turn spend $100...feeding 5 teenage+ boys, playing a few games of pool, a couple drinks = $100+ easily. The tip alone would probably cover the difference between me and Vistaprint.

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
I have to ask, if anyone knows, does FastSigns get special pricing with Signs365 and Gemini?

I have lost jobs to my local FS, and know the customer has gotten 365 banners, or Gemini letters installed, on the same jobs that I have priced using them. I usually mark up 25 to 30% on them so I am not sure how they are getting these jobs. Maybe I smell. IDK. Just curious if they get special pricing more than just the regular sign guys.

Anyone else notice this?

Hello jeffkics-- While I don't know the answer to your question, I do know this about the company I represent-- our goal is to help you make money. We offer a full range of wide format printing from hard stock to adhesive vinyl to dye sublimated fabrics and anything and everything in between. We'll make it right and on time for you, letting you focus on your business.

I invite you to give us a try for your next order. Give us a call at 801-305-1655 or email sales@abacatalog.com. Ask for Bryan or Cathy.

Thank you!

rjssigns

I've noticed a trend here. It's always price, price, price. Never about problem solving for a client. That goes a long way in retainment. What about supplying products or services online places can't?

For example: One of my clients has an HVAC shop. I do the regular sign stuff, but the guy that did all his welding walked off the job. Shortly after that I get a call asking if I could weld a few things. Yup, we do that here.
Break a chunk off your skid steer? I can fix that.

What I'm getting at is a lot of sign guys 'n gals have all kinds of talent and tools, but focus solely on signs. I don't. I'm capable, good at what I do and offer other services like welding, fabrication and woodworking.
Heck, I even do handyman work. If the money is right I'm your guy. Oh yeah, I teach at a local college too.

Things are changing in the world. Those of us that are good at manual labor tasks are poised to make good coin.

CanuckSigns

No matter where I order something from I mark it up a minimum of 30% - a few times it's less depending.

One bar owner in town drives me nuts. He calls me for a quote for plenty of stuff but always says, "I like to shop local and I want to give you first chance, can you beat VistaPrints price (or wherever) of XXX." I have yet to beat his online prices - why should I give him a deal just so he can shop local? I went in there for lunch 2 times to support local places and I have never been back because he won't order anything from me. He comes in asking me to donate for his various "charity events" he hosts. I never do. We make sure to stop in at local places, especially those that patronize me. All he would have to do is spend $45 on a banner with me and we would in turn spend $100...feeding 5 teenage+ boys, playing a few games of pool, a couple drinks = $100+ easily. The tip alone would probably cover the difference between me and Vistaprint.
Yup, as soon as someone brings out the " I found it online but I like to support local" I pretty much shut off and try to get them off the phone as quickly as possible, it never works out in my favour.

We have one client who only orders about $200 a year of small stuff from us, everything else he gets from VistaPrint, but like clockwork he comes in every June looking for us to sponsor his golf tournament, I should tell him to see if VistaPrint wants to sponsor one of the holes lol.

DPD

I have to ask, if anyone knows, does FastSigns get special pricing with Signs365 and Gemini?

I have lost jobs to my local FS, and know the customer has gotten 365 banners, or Gemini letters installed, on the same jobs that I have priced using them. I usually mark up 25 to 30% on them so I am not sure how they are getting these jobs. Maybe I smell. IDK. Just curious if they get special pricing more than just the regular sign guys.

Anyone else notice this?
Perhaps you're assuming too much. Sometimes relationship plays a part. What if you were the same price but they liked FS? You just can't assume every customer purchases based on price. It just doesn't work that way. Thinking everyone purchases based on price is what gets this industry in trouble.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I've noticed a trend here. It's always price, price, price. Never about problem solving for a client. That goes a long way in retainment. What about supplying products or services online places can't?

For example: One of my clients has an HVAC shop. I do the regular sign stuff, but the guy that did all his welding walked off the job. Shortly after that I get a call asking if I could weld a few things. Yup, we do that here.

What I'm getting at is a lot of sign guys 'n gals have all kinds of talent and tools, but focus solely on signs. I don't. I'm capable, good at what I do and offer other services like welding, fabrication and woodworking.
Heck, I even do handyman work. If the money is right I'm your guy. Oh yeah, I teach at a local college too.

Things are changing in the world. Those of us that are good at manual labor tasks are poised to make good coin.
100%
Be the go to guy, even if its just for random information and you will have customers for life. If they think enough of you to call for help with something, they will trust you enough to not shop your price or make you waste your time quoting every stupid order.

brdesign

FASTSIGNS, can usually negotiate special pricing with their preferred vendors that independent shops and smaller franchises can't get, but I doubt those discounts get passed on to the customers.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yup, as soon as someone brings out the " I found it online but I like to support local" I pretty much shut off and try to get them off the phone as quickly as possible, it never works out in my favour.

We have one client who only orders about $200 a year of small stuff from us, everything else he gets from VistaPrint, but like clockwork he comes in every June looking for us to sponsor his golf tournament, I should tell him to see if VistaPrint wants to sponsor one of the holes lol.
I think a lot of the time they think if they make it look like they are doing us a favor by shopping local we will lower our prices in appreciation.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

Unfortunately with print, people don't understand the difference between 2 different shops other than price. As most people will just expect the same print from either shop and will lean towards the cheapest one.
Simple philosophy, why pay more for the exact same product? because no one does.
I'm sure when shopping around for a tool or something, you'd check 3 hardware stores, amazon and ebay etc for the best deal. People will do the same for a print as to them, it's just a print or its just a banner.

Having a niche, being helpful, providing a better service will help those after something more particular.

JWitkowski

Maybe it's like this: yesterday I bought new running shoes.

Last week I went to a local SportChek store but they had nothing in my size and the staff don't know anything more than I do about shoes. Maybe less because I've been wearing shoes a lot longer than they have been drawing breath.

Yesterday, I went to a specialty 'running gear & shoe' store. The first thing the employee does is ask me to have a seat and she explains she will measure my feet width and length and then we'll talk about what I need from my shoes. I'm sold, then and there. I'm prepared to pay more than at SportChek because now I am getting service that is beyond what I could get elsewhere. She picks out a couple of pairs and I take the first ones she brings out. Bang on, the right shoe, the right size. She says I've been getting shoes that are too long in order to get the proper width. I don't care what the price is, the service and quality is excellent. I assume that the price is going to be fair because they do have to be sufficiently competitive to have stayed in business as long as they have.

As it turns out, the ones I want to buy are on sale. Bonus, even though they are still a bit higher cost than shoes at SportChek. I'm a happy customer and will now highly recommend them to my friends who will also appreciate the service. So, isn't this how the customers we want are also liable to think?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Everyone has customers who get "special pricing". Every industry, including this one.
I'm sure you pay a lot different price on certain materials from places like Fellers/Grimco/etc than others on here do and you never even knew it.
The more you buy the more you can negotiate your pricing with your vendors.

Stacey K

I like making signs
In a small town you get to know the people who are...

1. plain and simply - cheap
2. enjoy fiddling around online and find it fun and satisfying to do their own ordering and come in randomly. Price check simply to keep you honest but almost always place an order upon first arrival.
3. just want you to do it and don't ask the price

As a person gets to talking to other business owners its soon apparent that everybody knows first category of people and the third category of people. The rest of them pop in when they need something or when it's above their head, and that's OK.
It's category 1 that gets to be annoying but it's likely it's not just signs they price check, they did it with all aspects of their business, landscapers, snow removal, painters, HVAC, etc. so I guess we shouldn't feel bad LOL

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
To answer the OP's original question, I don't think FastSigns franchisees get much of a discount from 365 or Gemini. We have been approached by just about all the big franchises to become one of their preferred suppliers. Generally, they ask for a 3-5% discount and extended terms. Maybe a small monthly fee.

I think there's something else at play here.

In the mean time, if you are losing jobs to someone who is subbing work out to 365, maybe we can help?