• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite masking tool?

Jillbeans

Thanks for all the tips.
I definitely need something that holds the roll.
I have used the "core" method on 14" tape before.
I'm just glad nobody thought I was dumb for buying a new love seat.
:)

Jillbeans

I saw the Rolls Roller at Sign UK.
It's a bit rich for my blood but very nice.
The guys made it look so easy too.

signmeup

Here you go Jill. This works great and you can build it out of trash. http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8249
With two rollers you just plunk the tape on top....no threading a stick through the roll. Long graphics go under the holder so you can tape any length.

Attachments

• tapetip.jpg
    tapetip.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 97

jiarby

I bought some things from Henry Goines, a merchant member here... I just keep them on a shelf and then clamp onto my table when I need tape. 24" wide.... I have the CE5000-60 also. The BS works great too if you can keep pushing it straight.

http://www.henrygoines.com/

GP

I too bought one from Henry Goines.

I regrettably bought the two roll holder, however. The top roll is just storage now. I think the roll is too high off the table, causing wrinkles in addition to wasting masking tape.

I would definitely recommend the single roll version though! I was having all sorts of problems and made it so simple, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

Cheap enough that I was happy to not have to build/re-build my own unit.

Good luck,

GP

BobM

I have a Quick Mask Tape Tool that I used to use all the time. Bought a couple of Big Squeeges and have gotten used to them. Quick and bubble free.

Last edited:

d fleming

Right along the line of some of the other handmade pieces shown. Small roller at bottom keeps tape close to table.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 88

ProWraps

jill, i dont know if its your avatar, or if its you. but both of them have me in love with you. you are amazing and this site is lucky to have you. i have a weber masking system that we dont use, i would love to give it to someone that will. its probably a great system, but we do the one person on one side, one person on the other method. if you want it, i would be honored to send it to you to see it go to good use. shoot me a pm with your address (no worries i wont show up at your door, but i would be happy to package it up and shoot it over to you, its a 24" system).

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Can't beat free but if you are like Norm and have to do it yourself, here is mine:
2 plastic tint cores 4 shipping roll caps from 3m vinyl, scrap plywood, some left over aluminium stock & some screws.
(super simple - requires no woodworking skills)
Throw it on the long or short side of the table, throw it on the floor when you are done.
Needs no clamps - "L" shaped bracket facing down on the back edge keeps it tight against the lip of the table as you pull on the mask..
Friction between the tint tubes and the roll caps keeps tension on the mask as you pull it out.
Like some of the others, gap in the back makes masking of vinyl longer than your table a one person job.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• mask-er.jpg
    mask-er.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 93
I've been using this setup for 4 years now. Holds 16", 6" and 1" on top along with 24" on the bottom. I place my work on the table, pull my mask across and stick it to the table and squeegee it on.

I had been using a 12" plastic squeegee with good results most of the time, but as of yesterday I started using the big squeegee and it was perfect and quick, every time. In fact, I had a 12" piece of work yesterday, so I went back to the trusty 12" plastic squeegee and wrinkled the mask. Big squeegee from here on out.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 106