• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC 8600 Contour Cuts Inconsistent across width

Stinky Prints

Our FC8600 (54") has a roughly 8" section, at about the left 1/3 point where it doesn't contour cut the material when the blade is set properly and cutting properly on the right side of the machine. I've replaced a couple of cutting strips (and cleaned thoughly underneath), tried padding UP the cutting strip in the area where it wouldn't cut and have tried different blades, holders, force and speeds. It's almost as if the cutting table is warped behind the cutting strip where the grit roller pops through and it's not letting the blade use full pressure on the cutting strip in that area....or something else? (Not sure how the table would get distorted, my employees can get frustrated, but not 'hit the machine with a hammer' frustrated :mad:).

We bought the machine used - so don't have a go-to tech to discuss (and Graphtec isn't easy to get ahold of these days), and only have seen this problem recently, when we were trying to cut a stiffer material (glass apeel window cling). It seems to still contour cut our standard Orafol 6mil semi rigid and Oracal 3mil vinyl consistently across the machine (granted we typically use 30" rolls for stickers on the right side of the machine).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

netsol

Since you mention that it is "like it is warped" i could loan you a dial indicator, if you are "hands on"
Enough to figure out how to mount it, and check if there is a low spot.

It could also be something like a tramming error, with the cutting head a bit out of alignment & only making itself
Apparent in that zone. For what it's worth have you given the encoder strip a good cleaning? I have seen this show itself in the damnedest ways.

There are probably specialized jigs for the sort of test i am suggesting, but i don't know anyone who has access to them. Let me know if you want to give the dial indicator a try

Stinky Prints

Thanks Netsol - Have a dial caliper I could probably rig to measure. I'll tidy up the encoder strip as well.

Curious if anyone has seen the tables on these warp? Not exactly sure how it would happen, so I'm skeptical that's the problem, but spitballing all options.