• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help FC9000 - Cutting Issues Barcode and Mark

Goatshaver

Just got my FC9000 and i had successfully did a print and cut test. I've updated to latest firmware and Onyx is up to date as well. I'm cutting through Onyx cut server to do my cutting.

I was able to hit the "Cut Now" in onyx cut server and it scanned and cut the other day, today it won't do anything, it just hangs on "Processing" on the cutter and never does anything and freezes up. Barcode same thing happens and I'm not sure why I can't cut by the marks now and I've got a bunch of stuff printed for it to cut. Gah.

I've also tried loading the cut file (XPF file) onto a USB and plugging that into my machine and it does the same thing. It just goes to into saying "Processing" and it just hangs there and eventually freezes up and I have to power it down to get out of it, does the same if I try and read the barcode from the LAN as well.

Last edited:

Goatshaver

I've managed to figure out getting to cut from the marks. I needed to have Onyx cut server set to "4 Marks" the other two options it would just hang on processing and do nothing.

Now I cannot get barcodes to read. Just from a sheet right now, I can get it to scan, it says it's doing the Data Link then it goes to scan again and gives me error E04024 and I've tried adjusting the sense type, levels and speed and it will give me that error or that a mark was not found.

Supposedly there is some Barcode Test Sheet I can use, but I can't find any link to a file or where it might be in the software included.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
If it is not reading the barcodes there are a few things it can be, heck maybe even more, but try these:
Check the scan level, if it is not reading it on level 1, try level 4.
Are you sure it is the correct barcode coming out of Onyx?
Are you SURE you're positioning the scanner at the correct location before hitting the barcode button?
How did you load the material in? - you have to load it to be from the "front" position, not just "where it is loaded/mid-roll" if that makes sense.
Are you sure there is enough material in front of the barcode?

After it reads the barcode it then sends that code through the connection, and you'll probably run into more issues there.
Be sure the IP addresses are correct in there and that the cutserver is up and running.
For us, we are running the newest version of Onyx on Windows 10... and every Windows (auto) update likes to screw things up.

Goatshaver

If it is not reading the barcodes there are a few things it can be, heck maybe even more, but try these:
Check the scan level, if it is not reading it on level 1, try level 4.
Are you sure it is the correct barcode coming out of Onyx?
Are you SURE you're positioning the scanner at the correct location before hitting the barcode button?
How did you load the material in? - you have to load it to be from the "front" position, not just "where it is loaded/mid-roll" if that makes sense.
Are you sure there is enough material in front of the barcode?

After it reads the barcode it then sends that code through the connection, and you'll probably run into more issues there.
Be sure the IP addresses are correct in there and that the cutserver is up and running.
For us, we are running the newest version of Onyx on Windows 10... and every Windows (auto) update likes to screw things up.

Scan level I tried it. Using the Standard barcode, not roll, I'm just printing to a sheet right now.
It scans the barcode and then says it retrieving data link information and then it appears like it picks up the file and tries to scan the registration mark but it's doing it where the start of the barcode is.
I'm just not sure what I'm missing here. Was waiting for a support call all day and they ended up emailing me and I didn't see the email all day. Doh

newparade

Don’t feel too bad. I’m having crazy problems getting barcodes reliably working with flexi right now.

Goatshaver

Is there a place I can pay to give me some support on this?

I need to get this working asap and where I bought it from isn't helping, got one email, not a phone call to ask if it happens on every job. After I had told them I just got the machine setup a few days ago. SMH

Goatshaver

Perhaps try loading it in from different orientations. From there you want to verify all networking is setup like it should be. Then back to the way you are making the barcodes in the first place. This is one of the reasons I so quickly gave up barcodes. We only run 1 or 2 print + plot files a week. They are much easier to just generate in corel and run them from cutting master. illustrator should work just as well. Obviously this is not the full potential of the machine!
Yeah I'm banging my head on this. I'm not sure it can be rotated with the sheet barcode because it's only on one side of the print.

I'd hate to setup huge layouts in illustrator just to send to Onyx for the print and Cut Master for the cutting. Maybe I should've paid the $1k for the training/installation. :banghead:

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Is there a place I can pay to give me some support on this?

I need to get this working asap and where I bought it from isn't helping, got one email, not a phone call to ask if it happens on every job. After I had told them I just got the machine setup a few days ago. SMH
You can pay Onyx $80 single issue tech support.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Yeah I might have to see if the issue is on the software end through them or machine setting itself. I'm waiting for Grimco to get back to me, not looking very promising. I'm not thrilled with the support so far.
I emailed Graphtec last Wednesday and have still not heard back, they used to be good about getting back to me within a day.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Call Onyx directly, if you have the support agreement. I'd say you probably do, if you're running the latest version of Onyx (required for this to work correctly) and it was just released within the last month. If you're not running the latest version of Onyx, that is your problem unfortunately.

Goatshaver

Call Onyx directly, if you have the support agreement. I'd say you probably do, if you're running the latest version of Onyx (required for this to work correctly) and it was just released within the last month. If you're not running the latest version of Onyx, that is your problem unfortunately.
They had patch for Thrive 19.0.3 for Graphtec cutters. Are you talking about version 21.1?

jfiscus

Rap Master
They had patch for Thrive 19.0.3 for Graphtec cutters. Are you talking about version 21.1?
We do not use Thrive, just regular Onyx (ProductionHouse?). But we have had to patch it TWICE in the past couple months as they release patches/upgrades, no versions older than a few months old should work well if at all; ours certainly didn't. Graphtec just recently started working with Onyx on getting their software to work well together, before that Graphtec just said oh well, use our software.

Goatshaver

We do not use Thrive, just regular Onyx (ProductionHouse?). But we have had to patch it TWICE in the past couple months as they release patches/upgrades, no versions older than a few months old should work well if at all; ours certainly didn't. Graphtec just recently started working with Onyx on getting their software to work well together, before that Graphtec just said oh well, use our software.
Yeah I've done the only patch they have for the FC9000 on my RIP version. It's definitely Onyx because the barcode works perfect through Cut Master. I just would rather not change half of my workflow I've got going.

I'm going to try a trial of the updated version to see if it works, which it should, then maybe consider upgrading.

Goatshaver

Success last night. I was able to print and cut a roll barcode. There is hope! Don't see the need to spend $1k on a software update just to get my cutter to work with Onyx if I can help it.

Going to try a few prints with barcodes today and see what happens.

ikarasu

The barcode server is very picky. If you have cutting Master open at all while Onyx cut server is open, it'll fail to connect to Onyx.

The patch is glitchy. I have a quickset setup that automatically adds a 1 inch bleed and perf cuts it, with the patch installed it all of a sudden shifted every image 1 inch to the left.. so kiss and perf got messed up. only if it was rotated though... So it took me a roll of media to figure out why half of my cuts we're garbage! downloaded Onyx 21 and the issue wasn't there.

So I'm stuck upgrading for my workflow!

So if you finding weird issues, and maybe worth it to download the trial which lasts for 30 days and see if they go away.

Goatshaver

I can get Roll bar codes to work but sheet barcodes don't seem to work correctly. it might be something I'm missing.

It scans the barcode, say's it's retrieving data link information, processing, then it drops just below the start mark and starts looking to scan the registration mark. It can't read it because it's about 5-6" below where it's reading.

Is there some kind of setting to tell it to move to the mark or should it just move there on it's own?

Also I've got this odd hook mark it makes before it starts cuts. It does it on test cuts sometimes. I can barely see the blade sticking out of the holder so I can't imagine it's that. It's doing in work as well, in a spot that it's not even supposed to cut.

Attachments

• 20211119_132729.jpg
    20211119_132729.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
Last edited: